Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4bc81bbda8c7ebdec703f933d663d127Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chosen_one (Lee Bradley)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Han Solo ANH WIP Reply with quote

Hey guys

Looking into doing a Han ANH costume.

any help would be great.

already looking at the great stuff from Todds costumes and magnoli......but any other help would be great.

thanks
ladysolo14 ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Han Solo ANH WIP Reply with quote

chosen_one wrote:
Hey guys

Looking into doing a Han ANH costume.

any help would be great.

already looking at the great stuff from Todds costumes and magnoli......but any other help would be great.

thanks

Are you looking to make anything yourself or just focusing on purchasing most the costume?
chosen_one (Lee Bradley)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both, if there are pieces i can make myself to keep the cost down, all the better.
ladysolo14 ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chosen_one wrote:
Both, if there are pieces i can make myself to keep the cost down, all the better.

I know quite a few people who are approved have items from Magnoli and are extremely happy with the quality.

I just saw that Todds has come out with a shirt and vest and from the pics it looks pretty good. Todd has a good reputation of doing great work. His gunbelts are also good too. I get my gunbelt hardware from him and recommend others that want to make their own Solo rigs to purchase the hardware from him.

I've also run across a seller on Etsy via some instagram chats over our love of Solo and his stuff looks really good too.https://www.etsy.com/shop/CorellianDryGoods

So here's the deal with making vs buying. If you can sew, then you can save some money on the soft parts. I would say the ANH costume isn't as hard to make as let's say Bespin. The Bespin jacket can be a bit challenging. When I was making my ANH Solo, I found the hardest part to be the shirt, but the vest and pants weren't that bad.

The gunbelt is a different story when it comes to saving money. If you are making the gunbelt yourself you can potentially end up with a more accurate rig but the cost to jump into leather working due to the tools required might net out to be the same as if you purchased the gunbelt from somewhere else. If you are looking at purchasing a gun belt, Todds offers a pretty good version at a decent price point.

The most difficult part for me to source for the Solo costumes were the boots. I think I went through about 3 pairs of riding boots that I bought used on ebay before I found a pair that were tall enough and would fit over my calf. I can't tell you how many hours I spent digging through ebay and Esty and asking sellers questions to find the right pair. So if you go the ebay/etsy route, key questions to ask the seller are circumference at the top of the boot and the height of the boot shaft.

The riding boot should be a little tough to get on because you don't want too big of circumference at the top or else you will end up with a big gap around your knee. A circumference that matches the widest part of your calf exactly or just a touch under should be fine. As for the height of the boot you want them to be about 17" to 18" tall. The top of the boot should hit just below the knee.

For the blaster you have a ton of different options. If you want to go resin kit, DoopyDoos makes a decent kit http://www.doopydoos.com/star-wars-dl-44-dl44-han-solo-anh-prop-blaster-kit-1666-p.asp. If you do a search on Ebay or Etsy you can find a ton of people selling a lot of different finished versions for different price points ranging from resin, to metal, to 3D printed. My ANH blaster I made from a Denix Mauser replica and modded it with 3D printed parts.

That's just an initial brain dump. I can write a book on this Smile Let me know if you are looking for anything more specific and I'm sure myself or others can point you in the right direction.
chosen_one (Lee Bradley)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the boots, vintage black leather riding boots 17.75" tall.

I have pre-ordered the shirt and vest from Todds costumes and will be getting the belt and holster from there too.

only thing im stuck on is the trousers/pants

Are www.corellianexports.com any good? there pants look pretty good for a desent price.[/img]
ladysolo14 ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chosen_one wrote:
I already have the boots, vintage black leather riding boots 17.75" tall.

I have pre-ordered the shirt and vest from Todds costumes and will be getting the belt and holster from there too.

only thing im stuck on is the trousers/pants

Are www.corellianexports.com any good? there pants look pretty good for a desent price.[/img]

Awesome sounds like you got a great start Smile Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with Corellian Exports but maybe someone else can advise.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know is the Cosplay Sky pants are at all accurate enough to be approved? (assuming the fit is right, of course)
chosen_one (Lee Bradley)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into this some more im thinking of making the trousers myself
Khazara (Todd Felton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chosen_one wrote:

Where do you see prices on their site?

For accurate pants you want embroidered blood stripes, a riding seam at the back and a pin-tuck seam down the front of each leg.

Their vest is missing a pocket -- there should be a smaller pocket on top of the upper half-moon pocket.
chosen_one (Lee Bradley)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to email them to get the prices.
Blackyck ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you happen to order from them? How'd it go and how do they look?
chosen_one (Lee Bradley)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't no, gonna try and make it myself
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: