Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=58eebc3093373227c958976d352b67e2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme's Coruscant Nightgown Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Padme's Coruscant Nightgown Build Reply with quote

So while stuck in quarantine, I've been watching many movies. I was recently watching "Crimson Peak" and admiring the beautiful nightgowns and it got me thinking of Padme and her many nightgowns.

Anyway, one thing led to another and I decided to make her Coruscant nightgown from Episode 2. While doing my research, it was suggested that I use Simplicity 5843 as the base. It literally needs no modifications.

I was able to source the exact pattern, in my size, on Ebay for only $11 and snagged it right away.

While waiting for the pattern to arrive, I found the perfect semi-sheer fabric, a polyester chiffon type in LA for $2 a yard. I purchased 6 yards because I could tell the sleeves were going to take up at least a yard each on their own and most nightgowns are around 4 yards for me because I am so tall.

I also purchased a package of Wright's bias tape in off white for the neckline and I was set material wise.

Once the pattern arrived, I got to work. This pattern runs HUGE.

I would suggest sizing down by at least one size from your measurements, possibly even two. I cut mine at a size Medium and, as you will see later, it was perfect and flowy at that sizing.

This pattern requires some piecing together at the bottom to add the additional length needed so be prepared with scotch tape if you use it. Very Happy

Once everything was cut out and assembled, this is what I was left with.

I assembled the body of the nightgown first and then the sleeves. I didn't really look at the instructions as it is pretty self explanatory where everything goes.

Then I added the sleeves. Super simple to do but still a lot of fabric and my machine wasn't happy with my material choice so I had to go really slowly so it didn't snag it.

Here is the gown mostly completed and hemmed. The only thing missing was the neckline bias tape and elastic.

Luckily I had a bunch of thin elastic from mask making so I used that and added it just like you would for any elastic waistband and it was finished.

Here is the initial try on with it all ready to go.

Here is Padme's nightgown and here is mine.

If you have ever wanted a long, flowing nightgown, I recommend making this one. It's pretty simple, even for a beginner, and I absolutely felt like a princess in it.

Amadalia
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! Thanks for the thorough walk-through.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site | She/Her

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also huge on Natalie Portman; you can see how many folds there are from the gathered neckline. Wink

And it's definitely a costume were you wear nude underwear under it, too. Razz

Thanks for the write up on how you did yours.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I

And it's definitely a costume were you wear nude underwear under it, too. Razz

Thanks for the write up on how you did yours.

Oh def! I threw it on over my green shorts and nude bra for a quick try on in the photo above but always wear the proper colored undergarments for my costumes. Wink
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's how you avoid costume mishaps. Wink Leia's ANH costumes have the same issue, so I'm not surprised this have it, too. Too much semi-sheer, white fabric in Star Wars.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: