Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d326ac49fde1448afdb2f8664dfa0daMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Belt Supplies Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChewBekahRoars ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
As we have been having a lot of funky belts come through lately, I figured I would create a visual guide for belts as they are making or buying their belts:

This is great! Thank you!! Does anyone have any ideas of how to make this belt and finding all the bits and bobs for it? I made a really dodgy one last year before I was considering joining which was great but is not approvable because of the materials I used. Any help in locating this stuff is awesome, thank you!
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! My ANH Leia belt is probably what I am most proud of out of my entire costume, so I'm more than happy to give you everything I used to make it!

I am against using leather for my costumes, so my boyfriend and I found a white vinyl fabric at JoAnn's. We cut out a basic pattern out of cardboard and cut the fabric from that using my waist measurement. For the metal plates we used a thin aluminum sheets from Lowes, and cut out the pieces with these dimensions.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5b/b0/ff/5bb0ff93d4d2ef4bcba45675f2f2f9ed.jpg

Then I strong double sided tape, not sure what it's called but a friend had some he uses for his car, and taped the plates to the belt making sure they are placed with enough space between, but not too far apart. We found cover buttons at JoAnn's and tapped those to the plates, directly in the middle.

Finding a way to tape or glue the plates on was the easiest, as others usually would rivet the plates to the belt. Luckily we had a friend who had something to put snaps into the belt. We bought a pack and put four snaps in, and doing the second side was a bit tricky so we double checked each time before doing so. We then placed another aluminum plate over the snaps so they aren't visible.

Hope this helps, and I'll post a picture of it when I get it out!
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to my photobucket account, with the belt and my approval pictures.

http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/rebekahplatzer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgwd2rkql.jpeg.html?o=1
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmarking this page for reference
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmarking this page for reference
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my wife's belt, I used that thin foam board (like 2mm, I think...called "Funky Foam" where ever we got it...think Walmart) and wrapped that in a dull, white vinyl. Top-stitched the edges to look a bit more finished.

The plates I used were on the super cheap side. I work in a traffic department, so I have access to old street signs that have been run over or faded too badly to reuse. I make a LOT of my metal work out of those (as long as you don't have to shape it...that stuff is a weird alloy that REALLY wants to stay flat). I cut the plates with a band saw and rivetted them to the belt at the center. For the disc thingies, I used cheap button blanks. Super glued them to the plates and they covered the rivets. Added some snaps in the back and it was all done.

Total cost was about $15.

Judicial Officer-Mandalorian Mercs
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a measurement for the width of the belt anywhere to be found? Or, is it simply proportionate to the costumer?

Thanks
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcrab3t wrote:
is there a measurement for the width of the belt anywhere to be found? Or, is it simply proportionate to the costumer?

Thanks

The only measurement in the belt guide, in the OP, is for the "approximately" 1" discs, and even that states it should be proportional. That implies all sizing is proportional pretty strongly, by my reading.
rusope (Ruth Sonja)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a template in the belt guide. I'd say it works for most people. Someone who's really tall or petite should adjust the width of the belt as well as the size of the plates.

So in the end, yes, it has to look proportional to the wearer.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably don't want to make the belt any wider, but longer with more plates is totally fine.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: