Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f92de5d26857b40bc560184b8bcec6f7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sandstorm Goggles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Sandstorm Goggles Reply with quote

These are a 48hr knock-up based on the little, though treasured, reference available. AmyLeia mentioned in another thread she is assembling a sandstorm cloak for London. She's getting there. For my part, I threw this together.

I have video of the process, but as we are airbound in ~40 hours, that'll keep til we're back. This assemblage is very suggestive of the original, but not a match. If they are approvable, that's awesome, but that wasn't the intent. Amy's quick cloak assembly would have been lacking without them.

The goggles are $11 out the door at a local army surplus store. There were several varieties, these were closest without having reference on hand. The doodads are detailed in the video, but are mostly model parts and similar greeblies. The heat sink rails off a computer mobo, 1/32 Lost in space Jupiter 2 spaceship parts, 1/72 Blue devil navy Destroyer winches and rails, a dollar-store LED keychain and so on. All the parts are super-glued and screwed into place through the back so can be removed if new goggles are needed.

The paint was a 5 minute aging technique. Masking the goggles, I shot the greeblies first with rustoleum rusty brown metal primer, within minutes a silver pass and then a black pass. I immediately began pulling the tape off. As it did, it would pull against an edge here or there to create 'naturally' scraped areas, exposing the silver and rusty beneath. Some very nice touches which I'll get detailed imagery later. When the paint was at the less-tacky than more-tacky stage of drying, I looped a piece of crinkled masking tape around my finger and dabbed at the black finish. Initially it was to blunt a partial fingerprint, but I quickly saw that the tape took sporadic flecks dead-on to natural processes.

To weather at this point would involve adding dirt passes of brown, green, maybe orange or yellow -earth tones with a black wash to unify and tone it all down. For grime build-up, if the paint didn't round the corners or supply dust hits, drop a drop of super glue on your item, smear it with a tookpick and powder some baking soda into it. The soda will crystalize and harden on hitting the glue with an exothermic reaction. It will have a powdery, crunchy surface just as ancient grime does. You may want/need to selectively reapply paint layers. Part of the weathered-look includes experiments gone awry. It becomes part of the history.

These goggles are very clean, though clearly an old and well used item (albeit fresh out of the paint booth!).

Just realized I never got the Testor's or Tamiya transparent (smoke) black for the goggle lenses. Crud. That would have topped this off. Also to do is attach the leather across the top. I don't know if there is more leather at the bottom as well.

They will debut on the shores of Jolly Ol' this time next week! Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The details on those are spectacular!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, kindly. I'll have more pix going into August. We leave for LAX in 4hrs!

Last edited by GearsMcT () on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret to say that the goggles were lost in London. They may have made it to the RL table for a volunteer session on Saturday or were lost on the way or even possibly in the S1 changing room. Either way, they seem to be gone for good.

The goggles themselves are an easy replacement, but all the knick-knacks were essentially custom one-offs that cannot be replicated. Sad
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the sole surviving reference of the goggles. It's lucky that I happened to ID every component used. While I may have dupes of some, this unique combination in this set of glasses appears forever gone.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sad to read you lost the goggles at CEIII. Sad I dread the day I may lose part of my costume at an event.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: