Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5fdf8143f3493c36b22eabdb611bb81fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH gun belt tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this. Following.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Holster Assembly Reply with quote

This will be a quick little update as there really isn't much to the holster assembly. You need to attach the hinges to the drop/y-connector strap and then the actual holster to the drop/y-connector.

I first start by attaching the hinges. This way I can put the belt on with the drop strap in place so I can then properly position the holster before attaching it with rivets.

The hinges are attached using snaps. I highly recommend attaching the snaps with the leather already pulled through the slot on the hinge. It might be difficult to slide the leather through the slot on the hinge after the snaps are attached.

Once the hinges are attached, I then position the holster for the blaster. I use painters tape to get the holster in a good position. I then try on the whole rig to make sure the holster isn't crooked looking when it's on the side of the leg. When you are happy with the positioning, you can attach the holster using 4 rivets. Below is a picture of how I place my rivets along with how the strap for the blaster is attached.

Ok, finally getting really close to the end Smile In the next post I'll cover the attaching and sewing of the pouches. It's probably the most difficult part of the whole build.
DarthCadarius ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Templates Reply with quote

Hi. I'm Ernesto, a fan from Argentina. This is a great tutorial! Great job.
I'm wondering if you can show me the measures of the holster and other parts of the belt.
I have a 3d printed dl-44 replica, and also the other accesories for the belt, and now I want to make the belt.

Many thanks!
ladysolo14 ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Templates Reply with quote

DarthCadarius wrote:
I'm wondering if you can show me the measures of the holster and other parts of the belt.
I have a 3d printed dl-44 replica, and also the other accesories for the belt, and now I want to make the belt.

Many thanks!

Thanks Smile I have one more post to finish for the tutorial and then I was going to scan my templates. Things will need to be sized up and down to fit you. I probably won't get to updating this post with the templates until after December 16th as my days are filled with Rogue One release prep. But keep an eye out after the 16th. I know you aren't the only one who has requested this information and I promise it's coming.
DarthCadarius ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Templates Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
DarthCadarius wrote:

Many thanks!

Thanks Smile I have one more post to finish for the tutorial and then I was going to scan my templates. Things will need to be sized up and down to fit you. I probably won't get to updating this post with the templates until after December 16th as my days are filled with Rogue One release prep. But keep an eye out after the 16th. I know you aren't the only one who has requested this information and I promise it's coming.

Great, Thanks! And thanks for answer so fast!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Templates Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:

Great! Maybe I'll have time to finish up my Han Solo project before the end of the year after all. Smile

It would be fun to have 4 costumes approved in one year. LOL
WiliQueen (Valerie Meachum)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, this is a fabulous thread in general just for those of us with limited leather experience. Thanks for breaking things down so clearly!

Second, I got all excited because I've been on the hunt for a source for just the front buckle, for Mara from the Swarm War cover (where the same buckle is attached to a much simpler belt and holster). Alas, Todd's Costumes is out of stock and currently doesn't list the buckles separately at all.

Anyone know of another source for just that buckle? Or have any insight into how often Todd's restocks?

Thanks!!

Nar Shaddaa Base - Rey
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Templates Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:

Any updates? Dec 16th was quite a while ago...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following the Crazylegsmurphy thread here and on RPF. How I wish I also found this thread before Dragon Con last year...and before I remade the drop down portion of the holster this week before Wonder Con.

Great write-up. Should I need to re-update my holster in the future, definitely keeping this thread in mind.
Marq76 ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say...LadySolo that rig looks so nice! Btw how thick are the pieces? I´d like to do a set of my own,that is the single detail that´s a mystery,so far.Oh and Todd offerings are amazing. ;-)
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, and fantastic writeup.

I have a few nitpicks here and there, but overall this is a very accurate holster. Be sure to check out my thread for some updates that might help tighten it up to 100% accurate... if that is something you're interested in.

Either way, excellent.
ladysolo14 ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Sorry I kind of abandoned my thread but real life snuck up on me and I was just thinking about how I need to get back in and finish everything up.

Marq76 wrote:
I must say...LadySolo that rig looks so nice! Btw how thick are the pieces? I´d like to do a set of my own,that is the single detail that´s a mystery,so far.Oh and Todd offerings are amazing. ;-)

Thanks Smile One of my earlier posts talks about the weights of the leather but here it is for easy finding:

Single Shoulder 4/5oz veg tanned leather - for pouches, drop strap etc

Single Shoulder 8/9oz veg tanned leather - for holster

The main belt strap is also around 8/9 oz leather.

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Great job, and fantastic writeup.

I have a few nitpicks here and there, but overall this is a very accurate holster. Be sure to check out my thread for some updates that might help tighten it up to 100% accurate... if that is something you're interested in.

Either way, excellent.

Thanks Crazylegsmurphy:) I know I deviated from screen accuracy but I did it for a reason. Some of the changes are because I'm a lot smaller than Harrison so I had to be clever with some of the proportions. Second the techniques I chose to use worked better for me but meant I sacrificed a little bit on accuracy. However, I avoided sacrificing quality.

I dug deeply into your thread when I first started building these holsters several months ago. I don't think I could have gotten my holsters as good as I did, if it wasn't for your research.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:

Thanks Crazylegsmurphy:) I know I deviated from screen accuracy but I did it for a reason. Some of the changes are because I'm a lot smaller than Harrison so I had to be clever with some of the proportions. Second the techniques I chose to use worked better for me but meant I sacrificed a little bit on accuracy. However, I avoided sacrificing quality.

I dug deeply into your thread when I first started building these holsters several months ago. I don't think I could have gotten my holsters as good as I did, if it wasn't for your research.

I'm glad my thread was of some use. You may have noticed, but I have started doing a weekly live stream as I finish off my project. If you get a chance, check it out.

As for your holster. I understand what you're saying. My intention isn't to bash your hard work or anything. On the contrary, you have one of the most accurate holsters I've seen in a long time.

I just noticed a few small things. For example, the ESB holster does not have the groove along the edges. This is only found on the ANH version. The pouches also look a tad too wide.

I see that you are trying to make a versatile belt that can be used for all the different versions, so I understand why there is a mix. I just wanted to point them out for anyone following along with a specific holster in mind.

Again, not to bash your work. It is excellent.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I'm poking my jerky McJerkerson head in here again.

For anyone following this tutorial, my recommendation is to not wet form the leather. There is no reason to on this holster and you will get a much better, much crisper result if you don't.

Here is my test pouch which was done without water. The secret is making sure your sewing holes match up on your belt pattern. If correct, it will naturally fall in place and bend to shape.

Just my advice.
ladysolo14 ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
ladysolo14 wrote:

I'm glad my thread was of some use. You may have noticed, but I have started doing a weekly live stream as I finish off my project. If you get a chance, check it out.

As for your holster. I understand what you're saying. My intention isn't to bash your hard work or anything. On the contrary, you have one of the most accurate holsters I've seen in a long time.

I just noticed a few small things. For example, the ESB holster does not have the groove along the edges. This is only found on the ANH version. The pouches also look a tad too wide.

I see that you are trying to make a versatile belt that can be used for all the different versions, so I understand why there is a mix. I just wanted to point them out for anyone following along with a specific holster in mind.

Again, not to bash your work. It is excellent.

Actually, I have two separate holsters. My ANH has the grooves and the ESB version does not.

Also I think I went with a thinner leather than you did for the pouches. I found the wet forming still gave me a crisp look while at the same time making it easier to sew and position the pouches. It's one of those technique things I mentioned earlier, I tried without wet forming and it was hard for me to get the pouch to look nice. Wet forming for me had the best results.

As for the pouch sizes I actually went off your measurements and if anything sized them down a touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: