Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f21cf052e06f326af424f643b9a4accbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Red Invasion Gown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minuial ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Red Invasion Gown Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I started my red invasion gown a few month ago, with a looooot of information from Naergiliens tutorial I managed to do most parts already - but I got stuck. I can't get my hands on a highres image of the emroidery. Since some of you already made this dress, I came to ask: does anyone by any chance has a pattern or even an image with a higher resolution so I can copy the pattern from it? Where did you get your embroidery patterns from? Any links to shops would be appreciated too, I'm definitely willing to pay for someone elses work, don't get me wrong here Wink

Anyway, this is my dress so far, no idea where i managed to drop the pictures of the other parts, I will be posting them soon.

Thanks in advance!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dress is looking great! What are you using for support under the dress?

I don't personally have any embroidery files for this, but the Padawan's Guide is always a good place to start for reference photos: http://www.padawansguide.com/red_invasion.shtml You may be able to piece photos together to get a really high-res version of the design.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Minuial ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I used a hoop skirt I mady myself with the same pattern as the dress itself (or a little smaller, but also those 24 panels).
I realised I've never took a proper picture of it, this is basically what it looks like. The fake fur is from the hem of the dress, just ignore it Wink

The hoops ends aren't attached to each other, so they sometimes float around in their casings, what they did there. Normally the skirt isn't so wrinkly.

Here it looks a bit better, but at that moment it didn't had the top part finished, so it was a bit too long and reached too far on the bottom. Now it has a zipper in the back and I cut off about 20cm at the top (as seen in the top picture). Just mix the pictures up in your mind Wink

I tried piecing together the photos but I never found pictures of all parts, so that didn't work for me. But thanks anyway!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done! That underskirt is one of the more intimidating parts of the costume.

KnoXxVille ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy work, I love it *_*
Where did you get the dress fabric ?

I found this for hi-res pics: http://www.naergilien.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DSC_0038-17.jpg
http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/image_de6fe408.jpeg?height=877&width=1560&x=0&y=0
http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/redinvasion/red_invasion_closeup2.jpg

Comming from the thread of Naergi.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow I didn't found that one! Thanks KnoXxVille! I found the dress fabric in a german online store, but it's not completely perfect, since it isn't a bengaline fabric. (If you want more details let me know)

So let's translate all my work into english, sorry if I'm messing up things, my english isn't the best anymore Wink

First I started measuring according to Naergiliens Tutorial and decided to use my sketchfabric as hoopskirt. Acutally it isn't harder than sewing the dress itself. Just slap all the panels together.

After that I sew on the tunnels for the hoops. It's just regular bias tape and I marked the skirt on every panel at the height I wanted the hoops to be. It's just a lot or making marks and measuring but not hard at all.

Putting in the hoops. I trimmed the bottom part a bit and sew it with my overlockmashine and some red thread (still thinking about dying the underskirt).

Since the dress is just the underskirt but a bit higher I had my pattern done and started working on the sleeves. I put together a big enough piece of fabric and drew the shape I wanted on it.

From then on it was a pain in the a**. I drew the 16 panels for the sleeves about 5 times until it was "ok". I marked everything and there was my pattern:

Starting with looots and lots of fabric (in bad lighting, I'm sorry)

I first cut out all the parts of the body of the dress, leaving quite a few cm on the sides:

And going around alle the parts with my overlocker.

Then I started sewing together 2 pieces so I had left 12, again 2 of those doubles pieces and so on:

Of course I put all the piping in the middle of the seams, it was horrible. Never again without a piping foot for my sewing mashine!

Again to the sleeves. Started with putting the piping on one side of the panels

And putting everything together. Sorry, I don't have that much detail work documented here.
But this is how it should look like:

Just the sleeves pinned to the dress, without armholes:

It was time for the hoopskirt. I put on the waistband, which was quite wide so it wouldn't cut into my belly.

To do this I had to take out the hoop rings again, here you can see them on on a 2 meter piece of fabric.

Putting the hoops back in, sewing the shoulder seams and cutting the armholes, time for a first fitting test! Again: excuse the bad lighting.

More to come in the next post!
Minuial ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the messy part, the fake fur.
I cut my fur fabric into 4 circle parts and doubled those, so I had 8 parts, 2 circles for the bottom of the skirt.

I put those 2 circles together. Excuse the explosion of fake fur in the background.

And put the circles right sides together on the outer seam

I had to comb out my seam, since the hair got stuck in between the layers, let the pictures speak Wink

After that I measured where the fur would end inside of the dress and pinned the fur down

After seweing the inside I flapped the fur to the outside and sew everything by hand in place. Another bad lighting action shot Wink

Let's continue with the sleeves. Here are all the parts I cut out. The outer sleves with lining, the fur for those, the top part for the inner sleeves and the bottom part of the middle sleeves.

First I assembled the lining of the outer sleeves with the fur since it looks to me like the fur is just on the inside of the sleeves

Sewing the side seems of lining and sleeve

Aaand putting together both sleeves on the bottom hem, right sides togehter.

Sorry and sorry again for the lighting, it was so late I wasn't able to put a lamp somewhere and where sewing for about 9 hours that day

On to the middle sleeves, bottom part. I decided to make the fur appear around the whole sleeve, so i startet sewing it on on one side

Closed the side seams and flipping the fur in

And sewing everything down by hand on the inside.

Aaaand we have to bottom sleeves that are able to stand by themselves

The inner sleeves (top part), middle sleeves (bottom part) and inner sleeves (bottom part) together

Assembling everything

And there you have it:

Then I stuffed all those sleeve parts into the dress

And boom. That's where we are now, you know the picture from my first post. I left out a few details, since I don't want to spam with every single seam, but let my know if you are interested in those details.

By now I have the collar nearly assembled, I'm currently waiting for the shipping of the silk-cording to put on the collar but I put the fake fur around the tabard pieces and with a bit of luck I was able to find a embroidery pattern: etsy-link. I hope shoplinks are allowed here? Does anyone know if this will work?

So that's it for now Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self standing sleeves! Laughing I really like the detailed account of this. I look forward to seeing where you go from here. Amadalia

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful progress! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I hope to do this costume someday, so watching people work on it is always inspirational.

That file looks pretty darn close. There are a couple of minor spacing issues, mostly with the flowers down the center and the second to last piece at the bottom. Overall, it looks good. Smile

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

WIP: Hera Syndulla & Jarael
Future: X-Wing Pilot | Mission Vao v2 | Way too many Padmé costumes

deviantArt | IG
Minuial ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the embroidery pattern and will talk about it as soon as I manage to test it out with my friend (who has an embroidery mashine).

But until then I will give you a few new pictures! I nearly finished the collar, sadly I don't have many pictures. I cut out all the shapes (2 collars, 2 tabards) two times, for lining and outer layer and attached them witch my overlock mashine., except for the top collar, more for that later.

Then I sew down the fake fur around all the edges, on the outside with my sewing mashine and on the inside by hand:

After many hours of sewing and vakuuming my apartment from the fake fur that was flying around, more hand sewing! The cording of the top collar isn't as fine as it is in the original but that's ok for me, since I couldn't find something better in the right color.

First I drew random lines with my chalk and traced them with a pencil, since the chalk marks faded very quickly.

And there you can see the almost finished collar:

The last part (you probably quessed it already): more cording!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You are really whipping through this. It's an inspiration how fast and beautifully you work.

Minuial ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

I think it just looks like I'm that fast, because I did a lot of the work before I even considered registering here Laughing I startet in November, if I remember it correctly. Since then I had so many ups and downs, that this costume and I now share a love/hate relationship. I reeaaally like it as a costume and am quite happy how it turned out so far, but I haaaattteeee how long it takes me. And then life happens and I can't do anything for this dress in WEEKS! It's just so frustrating sometimes, I think everbody here knows this feeling.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minuial wrote:
! It's just so frustrating sometimes, I think everbody here knows this feeling.

Yes.

I'd reaffirm that ala silvermitt style, but I'd offend someone. You are most correct and we commiserate. But you will be so bad**s in it that costume that you'll forgive it later on.
melanoo ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just on Etsy and someone is selling the embroidery pattern for $15 Canadian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: