Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=460909d051b226877fc9763ea3a817c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Endor Dress Reply with quote

I have an Endor Dress I made YEARS ago for Celebration III. However i need to remake it. the color is off and it's not cannon...it was just for fun and my first time making ANYTHING. aka first time on a sewing machine.

Here it is...and not to mention i think the color is a bit off.

So i think it needs to be a tad bit lighter. THAT being said...i am going to try another one soon.

I happened to be looking at sandals and thought these would be perfect if i took off the tassel. Just wanted to get your opinions. Also any feed back if the dress can be salvaged. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
General Princess (Jordan Aldera)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popping in with some thoughts as a tailor, though not yet a Legion member. Smile

I think the dress construction could be fixed, but the material isn't right? The dress in the film looks like a very thin, fine-grain suede, and your dress looks like it has kind of a velvety finish, more like velveteen or microsuede?

It's a pretty simple dress, though, so probably not too much trouble to remake. Good luck! Can't wait to see the revamped version. Smile
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a microsuede...again it was just a hey let's try this. i will look into getting some material...AFTER I get my ANH Leia completed.

At these with this one, i have the hair part down Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JordanWest wrote:

It's a pretty simple dress, though, so probably not too much trouble to remake. Good luck! Can't wait to see the revamped version. Smile

Ha! Haha! Hahahaha*cry*! Simple? Simple?! That skirt is anything but simple, I tell you. Getting the curves right is a nightmare. Oh, all the times I remade my mock-up...

Sandals looks like they might work, though I have two concerns about them:
1) They're suede instead of leather.
2) They have a ring prominently on the front of the foot.
Shapewise they look good though.

And the material is a no go. Colorwise it's not too far off and not the worst I've seen, but you'd certainly need to have the cross stitching match the dress. Real dress is/was pig skin. It has a suede feel to it and the specific pattern seen on the dress. It can be sewn on a machine. Wink
Most fake skins won't work, because of the skirt; you can see the backside of the skin and fabrics tend to be a)too dark and b) too shiny.
If you need inspiration for this then take a look at my wip thread; I explain various problems and thoughts as I went through the process.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

I have some medical needs that require a shoe insole, so I am trying to find a sandal of sorts i can put the insoles in. Hence why i like the gladiator style. Very Happy Easy with boots of course. Wink any suggestions would be GREAT!

I will take a look at the nearby leather stores & FOR sure check out your WIP progress....it looks like a you-know-what. Smile

and maybe look at picking up a bolt of muslin tonight as well. LOL
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it looks like the Ewok Village dress. Wink And yours will, too, when you get there. Just have patience.

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found these...do you think they would work with the dress...they a removable footbed so i can put in in my own insoles. best i could find that sorta matched..https://www.google.com/shopping/product/105548009588357006?q=sandals+removable+footbed&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4lMzZk7_NAhUK7CYKHf8DBBQQwUAIMigH
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hopefully it looks like the Ewok Village dress. Wink And yours will, too, when you get there. Just have patience.

i meant the WORK looked like it was A LOT OF WORK..the dress you did is awesome. sorry for the confusion. Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. Wink And it was a lot of work. But worth it.

Hmm, my concern is the color; it's a quite dark brown and they should closely match the dress.

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

I found these...i matched them with your dress Lora. Smile

they ARE leather. I checked. I will have to get them modified, but they are a good start for my insole issues. hahaha

https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Saylie-Medway-Sandal/dp/B00NYPYTLY/ref=pd_sim_309_21?ie=UTF8&dpID=41mxyLkUnML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=H9CD8QEZ1EGMYXGW8VVM
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Beston-Bb89-Womens-Gladiator-Flat-Sandals/11441608/product.html?refccid=KGOMVBSNZBGJLKKPOOHCPUUOHE&searchidx=0

if i can make these friendly for my feet issues...i think these would be better
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen something like the second pair used before. Smile I think the things to remember with this sandal is: natural color leather (undyed), criss crossing straps over the foot (we say at least one, maximum three for now), low to no heel. That's the basics of the sandal. The original also had a heel cap. It should be possible for you to find a sandal that fit your needs since it's summer. Good luck. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: