Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=350b3775a037ed82adcaf1b1bc8d977aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Star Wars Rebels: A Princess on Lothal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Rebels: A Princess on Lothal Reply with quote

Looks like a fun and "simple" costume. I'm going to try and get screenshots and figure out a breakdown. I would love others to chime in with their opinions and what they see.

Here are some screen shots of the episode.
All screen shots were taken from THIS WEBSITE.

Full body front

Hairstyle

Hairstyle

Hairstyle

Chestpiece

Back

Back

Back

Side

Side

From what I would breakdown I would say that it is 2 pieces: Pants & two-toned shirt

Pants are a steel grey, tight fitting.

Shirt front is the same grey with a wide scoop or boat neck with a chest piece attached to it. There are also 4 little decorative rectangles along the neckline (two in front, two in back. They appear to be mirror images). The majority of the shirt is a cream. Long sleeved. There is a seam going down the back.

Cream belt with a droid caller (I believe) on the left hip, a box on the right hip. There is a center buckle piece that seems to be similar in shape to her belt during ANH. The sides widen where the droid caller and the box are, then narrow back to a standard belt.

Two-toned shoes with white detail on the toes.

Hair looks to be a low three part bun (similar to Padme Mustafar), and then a braided piece in a circle. There is a small hair ornament with some sort of design etched into it.

Now I can't decide if it is a two-toned shirt or a shirt and jacket. I say two-toned shirt due to the way that the jacket would have to be cut, it wouldn't stay on the shoulders in reality all that well (unless there is a snap or hook there).

Thoughts?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on all points. The way that the shirt fits her and moves, I really think it's a single two-toned piece.

Another RLGS member pointed out that the design on her hair clip is the crest of Alderaan:

I think you are right that it is a somewhat over-sized droid caller too. I imagine the silver box on her belt plays some purpose other than decoration too, though I don't see any kind of opening or fastening to show that it's a pouch.

I think another important detail is that the shirt has a prominent center back seam, but only on the cream portion.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site | She/Her

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it rather interesting that she has a cornrow braid, but that it's only set on the very back of her head. Very unusual for that hairdo. And the rest of the hair is put into a low bun and kept in place (?) by the hair thingie. (Clip? Fork? Comb?)

But yes, it's a shirt. Can't see it work as a two piece.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting how close it is to some of the concept art from A New Hope.

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find! pics
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very close in style! But I'm not surprised as they use a lot of old concept art for the new movies, so why not Rebels?

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Ihala ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Yes, very close in style! But I'm not surprised as they use a lot of old concept art for the new movies, so why not Rebels?

Zeb was one of the original design ideas for Chewbacca, actually.

What do you guys think the contrasting little squares at the collar are, they almost look like tiny rigid plates. Or is it just contrasting fabric?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Beth! I love the connections the new materials are making to the old concept art.

Those little bits on the collar look like the are the same color/material as her little chest box. I could see them as little "metal" clips slid over her collar. That said, you could probably make it look really clean with a contrasting fabric too. The lovely/frustrating thing about animated and drawn costumes is that we can't make a lot of judgement on what the materials actually are supposed to be.

Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost say that they are embroidered on. At least, that was my plan because they don't "look" raised like the center box. Same with the attachment at the bottom of the box (embroidered on, not a separate piece).

Although, even if it was determined to be raised, it wouldn't be that hard to make a piece that clips over it in the future.

Another question is that line below her belt. Is that the shirt? Or is that the "base" of the waistband for the pants and the seam would be under the belt?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd lean towards contrasting fabric rather than embroidery myself, given the smooth texture.

To me, it looks like she's got a long shirt, and that seam is the bottom of her shirt. Though, that's really low to start a pair of pants, so it probably hangs down over the top of the pants. Alternatively, that could be the waist-seam in a jumpsuit.

Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting. Thinking about reality, with how form-fitted the shirt is, it possibly wouldn't hang well around the hips if that was the bottom of the shirt. I was thinking of a wide waistband. But I'll try it with a shirt and see how it'll all go.

With the animation, there is a black line between the cream and the steel gray on the shirt; along with the back seam. Would you put piping in that is thin black, or would you ignore it as just a seam line?
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I saw someone on the 501st boards that was making 3D prints of the boxes on this outfit, I'll have to find his thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: