Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c32361cd59bba695b2bd1d108f6d9d56Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Generic Resistance Officer Standard Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: TFA Generic Resistance Officer Standard Discussion Reply with quote

Suggestions? Add or subtract from this:

1. Off-white mock turtleneck long sleeve shirt

2. Medium brown vest with a V neck that crosses from left to right in the front, no visible closure. Fabric has a wool like texture.

3. Olive green pants, loose fitting with no visible pockets

4. Tan belt, approx 2 inches wide with a rectangular buckle. (Tandy's Canyon Tan color recommended)

5. Mid calf, brown boots with a black sole, flat or low wedge heel. No visible zippers or decorations.

6. Screen accurate rank badge.

I'll add some reference pictures later today.

Last edited by Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon) on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts:

The mockturtleneck is more of a light tan, ivory or beige color, much darker than off white (especially in the outdoor images).

Most but not all of this character is wearing olive green or dark green trousers, but a few have brown trousers.

Many different boots seem to have been used. Some are the Po-Zu Well II boots (the same ones Poe is wearing in the opening scene and are shown in the Visual Dictionary) in both black and brown (they actually have inside zippers). The key to the boots is that they have flat/wedge soles that are black.

Leather belt pouches are seen on some of them as well and I would suggest they are OPTIONAL.

WIP: Rogue One Yavin Operations Trooper and Officer

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should a difference be made between the officers wearing tunics and the officers wearing vests?
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question. They both wear the same trousers, light tan mockturtle and occasionally the same boots. So in a sense they are mostly the same costume. That being said, if we only use one standard, a required option could be EITHER the vest or jacket with rank badge. There doesn't seem to be any difference in rank between the vested and jacketed officer either (at least from the ones which I could clearly make out rank designation). There are also quite a few characters that are wearing the jackets without rank badges, just like the vested characters, so I assume they are enlisted.
Commander Cody wrote:
Should a difference be made between the officers wearing tunics and the officers wearing vests?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
krieger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as boots and pants, can they be black? Looking at some of the photos it appears there are a few combinations of black boots with black pants, or brown boots with black pants. I am interested in getting a generic army general costume ready for the fall.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen black pants on any of the Resistance Officers, but black boots I think are on a few of them and all of the pilots. The set lighting makes some of the green pants look very dark, and actually I think there are both light olive green and a dark green trouser used. There are also brown trousers on some characters as well. I used an old pair of Vietnam-era army trousers for this outfit. I got them very cheap at a surplus store.

―General Han Solo
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a difference similar to what you see in the US Navy today (staff vs. line officers), but if there is???
Commander Cody wrote:

―General Han Solo

Last edited by Toda () on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
krieger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Todd - watched TFA again and noticed the officer in front of B-U4D in the last scene at the base is wearing black boots. I will go with brown pants for my costume.

As far as the material for the jacket, does anyone recommend wool khaki cavalry twill? Having a bit of a challenge with colors for this one.

Peter
krieger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the movie again and took a couple of screen caps, after feedback from everyone regarding colors. Going with canyon tan for the belts and pouches, for boots would like black as an option as well based on what I saw on screen as well as in the visual dictionary. Included these photos for your consideration, with a sense of the time stamp within the movie.

Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As seen before, there is a lot of variety in colors and combination. Many of this character do not have any belt pouches, so I think pouches should be optional in the end. Boots should be either black or dark brown with flat, dark (black?) soles.

krieger wrote:
Looked at the movie again and took a couple of screen caps, after feedback from everyone regarding colors. Going with canyon tan for the belts and pouches, for boots would like black as an option as well based on what I saw on screen as well as in the visual dictionary. Included these photos for your consideration, with a sense of the time stamp within the movie.

―General Han Solo
Ackredies ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, do we have any more input to this standard proposal?

If not I shall pass to the CSC to complete
I will close this thread on Friday (Unless we all agree now) as we have a few started, I wish to finalise this.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate reading the commentary here, as I'm seriously considering making this costume with the vest instead of the jacket. I loved TFA (saw it 4 times, twice in 3D IMAX), especially these costumes.

I do have one question to add: Will there be any restrictions on what ranks can be used with this particular costume? I'm not planning on being a high-ranking general like Dodonna or Admiral Ackbar. Wink

Never too old to be a Rebel... or a Jedi!
RogueWic ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How specific do we need to be with the shirts? Looking at the fabric, it looks like a cotton. No stretch. So if we say “mock turtleneck “ people are likely to buy off the rack turtlenecks in stretch jersey. I suspect the shirts are more like Kydel Ko Connix’s shirt which closes right over left with the collar ending at the shoulder seam.
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueWic wrote:
How specific do we need to be with the shirts? Looking at the fabric, it looks like a cotton. No stretch. So if we say “mock turtleneck “ people are likely to buy off the rack turtlenecks in stretch jersey. I suspect the shirts are more like Kydel Ko Connix’s shirt which closes right over left with the collar ending at the shoulder seam.

The shirts appear to me to be mock turtlenecks. I'd say leave it at that.
TFS (Tom Schobert)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other comments or suggestions? This really needs to be finished before yet another film comes out.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> RL GSC Standards Development All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: