Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=497d117b4a7caa9ad90029ce99df4b33Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Poncho
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Endor Poncho Reply with quote

Hello all!!

I have been digging through the forum and i haven not quite found an explanation for this 'pattern'

I know the hood is the most difficult part. any directions or insights would be great!

Oh i found this too..just thought it looked so cool!

thanks so much!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think A to B is half the circumference of the hood opening. But it doesn't have a lot of explanations.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for looking. It is a bit unclear. Looking at the photo of the poncho itself. the hood appears to be all one meeting at the back. I have the book at home, i am going to see if it has any better pictures of the hood up...

I take that back...there looks like there is a seem on the front.

I just want to make sure i am doing it correctly Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pmwilsen ()

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is anywhere to buy a close pancho to work on or a clearer pattern to make your own? Thanks!

Matt and Pam
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys,

Thought I'd post since there's been a lot of questions about the Endor poncho lately. The diagram I drew was a quick sketch I did for someone to try and explain how I did the pattern up, I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures while I was constructing it (or if I did, they're long gone). The pattern is more like a guide-line. I ended up draping my own pattern, based on this:

The hood fits over the helmet, so I used that as a size reference.

First, the poncho itself is 3 rectangles, with two 6" strips on the outsides. I believe the width of the poncho will be from elbow to elbow if your arms are outstretched. In the front, the poncho comes to about top of thigh/crotch level, and to the crook of the knees in the back. The body of the poncho I used a single layer of a light twill (ivory is good) and two layers on the side strips. Just use those measurements to find where your neck hole goes. Draw a circle at least the circumference of your head if not a bit larger.

The hood I did not use a pattern, but you can start with any basic hood pattern and alter it to be like the drawing shown. I achieved the pattern by draping. Put your helmet on a styrofoam head and pin your hood pattern around the helmet. You can see from the Carrie BTS pic that it fits pretty close to the helmet, so adjust your pins to get it to curve around and re-draw your lines. My diagram shows how the front of the hood curves around the neckline to meet up to the front of the "donut". By curving it down like this, I was shortening this seam so less fabric was being gathered to the neck edge. The width of the neck edge will be wider than the "donut" so that it crumples around and doesn't lie flat. I cut this part on the fold so there would be no seam. The "donut" I pretty simply cut an oval that looked about the size around my face/helmet like Carrie's picture, and made it an even width from this hole. The points A to B on both the hood and the donut are the same length. It's best to get your donut first so you can use it to drape your hood around until you get them to match up.

I hope this helps a little, I wish I had pictures from when I built mine, and I can't guarantee mine is 100% accurate

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank yo so much for posting!! the pictures are very helpful!

I appreciate the comment about the hood being big enough. My friend & I spent a good deal of time dissecting the poncho yesterday, picking apart every picture we could find. I am lucky she is a seamstress who went to school for sewing and design. we had some hearty 'discussion' on the hood.

we have concluded that the entire hood is cut on the fold and one piece with top stitching and doubled to give the collar and the hood some extra body so to speak. I will take pictures as I put things together. just praying that i don't completely mess up! I am still learning!!!

thanks so much.
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok poncho update!

here is what i have...sorry the pix of me isn't the best...as i had to do a mirror selfie.

on dummy...sadly is smaller than me.

top stitching

obligatory selfie.

it hit right at my elbow but hard to see here.

tomorrow is paint day!!!!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a pretty good shape to me. How is the length in the back?

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | Guam Regional Captain | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!

It hits right at the back of my knees.
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now it need to finish drying.

Looks a bit dark inside but here is inside and out.

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW here is what I used for a reference.

and this one....

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

took some more pictures tonight...i handwashed it and it's drying.

Lukeluca (Luke Wallace)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

Looks great!
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!! Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: