Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=37e319d203fe8967c30725accecedfc3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Questions about trooping.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacobise (Jacob Kimmel)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Questions about trooping. Reply with quote

Alright guys, I finally have my base costume ready to go and should be submitting for approval next Saturday. My first official troop with you guys will be the Brandywine Zoo event and I'm looking forward to it but have come up with a few questions I felt I should ask.

They mainly pertain to interaction with fans and what the standards are. I know the Brandywine event is going to be packed and will be more of a "get your picture and move along, move along" so these interactions may not pertain but it would still be good information to have going forward.

Mainly I'm wondering how in-character you guys get during troops. My main experience comes from drilling some of the 501st members at Star Wars weekends at Disney World in the past and those guys as well as the actual Disney cast members are always on point. I do know somewhat easier for face characters.

For instance if someone asks Han Solo "Do you know Mace Windu?", we all know that the answer is no. But even as face characters, do you guys stay strictly in character or does it depend on who you're talking to? If you're talking to a 5 year old and they want to talk about Mace Windu, do you say you don't know him or do you humor the kid and go into conversation as a fan?

For non-face characters (My generic Jedi in this case), how many people use established backstories for their characters? As long as I've been involved in online gaming communities, specifically Star Wars Galaxies and now The Old Republic, I have a flushed out backstory fit for the Prequel Trilogy era but would want to know what the "norm" is at events.

Any and all advice and input is appreciated. As I come closer and closer to full membership, the anticipation is killing me.

Thanks,

Jacob
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Jacob!

A few things I've picked up at troops:

1. If the 501st is there you can reply that a standing truce has been established to bring goodwill to the galaxy. I usually add "but we can't get rid of the smell" to get a laugh.

2. When I trooped with Vader wearing a generic Jedi I greeted people in his waiting line asking, "Who are you waiting for?" "photos with Vader!" "Oh." And I'd stop and think then look at the youngest kid really seriously..... "I need you to do me a favor. When you see him can you tell him to be good?" This always gets giggles.

3. Yes! Some of our face characters are spot on with movie lines, reactions and dialects. We just had Anthony Daniels surprised by our own C3PO's imitation of him at Steel City Con. Feel free to find a motive and roll with it.

4. Speaking of motives, think about some of the things you might encounter at a troop - certain Star Wars tshirts on kids, props, etc. Think about posing in certain ways that'll be fun. I squired this past weekend and the kids with Kylo were just kind of standing there. So I told them to "force choke pose". boom! great pic! My generic Jedi is also a Recruiter, so I like to tell some shy kids that I think they might be strong in the Force, and try my saber that Master Yoda let me borrow. I let them turn it on and off, and suggest they keep listening to their families to become stronger in the Good side of the Force.

Have fun, should be a great time for you!
Jacobise (Jacob Kimmel)
Ghost Base CO
Ghost Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caileen Tauren wrote:
Congrats, Jacob!

A few things I've picked up at troops:

1. If the 501st is there you can reply that a standing truce has been established to bring goodwill to the galaxy. I usually add "but we can't get rid of the smell" to get a laugh.

2. When I trooped with Vader wearing a generic Jedi I greeted people in his waiting line asking, "Who are you waiting for?" "photos with Vader!" "Oh." And I'd stop and think then look at the youngest kid really seriously..... "I need you to do me a favor. When you see him can you tell him to be good?" This always gets giggles.

3. Yes! Some of our face characters are spot on with movie lines, reactions and dialects. We just had Anthony Daniels surprised by our own C3PO's imitation of him at Steel City Con. Feel free to find a motive and roll with it.

4. Speaking of motives, think about some of the things you might encounter at a troop - certain Star Wars tshirts on kids, props, etc. Think about posing in certain ways that'll be fun. I squired this past weekend and the kids with Kylo were just kind of standing there. So I told them to "force choke pose". boom! great pic! My generic Jedi is also a Recruiter, so I like to tell some shy kids that I think they might be strong in the Force, and try my saber that Master Yoda let me borrow. I let them turn it on and off, and suggest they keep listening to their families to become stronger in the Good side of the Force.

Have fun, should be a great time for you!

Thank you so much for the tips Erin. It seems like my perceptions were right for the most part but I really appreciate the ideas regarding joint ventures with the 501st. I would not have thought about that.
ncpeacock ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacob

First rule of trooping is relax and have fun. Most of the time kids (little ones and adults) are so excited to see SW characters they dont notice accents lines etc so I would not sweat that a whole lot. Really it is lots of cool poses and putting smiles on faces.

At the zoo you will be in the group with me. We will be the Clone Wars contingent so myslef as Plo, you as a jedi, my daughter as Ahsoka tano and a clone trooper or two. As a non maked character thos ein helmets and masks rely on you guys to be our eyes and ears. Many times we cannot see the little kid so Hey Jedi Master Plo, so and so wants a pic or something like that.

See you at the zoo any questions feel free to call me
"NCTusken"
Takodana Base
Rebel Legion
Alarion Ero'neth (Spencer C. Huff)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It honestly depends on your own comfort levels. When I first started out as just a generic Jedi, getting in-character wasn't something I was capable of, as I still wasn't comfortable with *being* the character in the costume. I didn't know who I was. I think having a backstory for my character would have helped me to have more confidence initially.

With time and a lot of troops, my comfort and confidence has risen dramatically. Being a face character also gives you a defined persona to tap into, and thus makes it easier to play the role. Having the accent and movie lines definitely helps make me *be* my character, but the greatest confidence booster comes from the costume itself and the energy of the people around me who are excited to meet a Jedi in-person.

In short, do what feels right to you and be mindful, be respectful of your own comfort levels.

"As Jedi, we must do what is right - not what is easy."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: