Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8ed21028bc7b4fd9c32e37a83a1f8fb8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sabe- black and red battle gown :)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Sabe- black and red battle gown :) Reply with quote

I looked back and couldn't find a thread so I'm starting a new one Wink

I've loved this outfit for years and sadly there has been very little information on it, which is a pity as it is more complex than it appears!

A couple of years back I found a nice chenille knit fabric with alternating stripes of open and closed cells and it has been in my storage container for a while.

A few weeks back I happened across a red taffeta on a remnant pile so grabbed all that they had- 9m.

And this weekend I finally started cutting the red into basic shapes for sleeves and skirt.

Today I found a nice (well ghastly actually) fabric for interfacing the skirts to help them kick out.

For the headpiece I'll probably make a template from foam board and build up over that with putty, I also have a wig I'm using for the hair wrapping and pony tail.

Photos later tonight but I'm quite excited to finally get this made Smile Even if I wind up passing it on to someone else Smile
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you probably already saw the Padawan's Guide page for this costume... http://www.padawansguide.com/decoy_theed.shtml

Glad to see this one being made. Smile
bantha_rider (Olivia)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought this was an interesting costume. You should post some progress pictures; I'd love to see how it's going!
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been costuming online since before PG so yes I am familiar with it Wink

This was patterened back in about 2005, so I've been thinking about this costume for quite some time Wink

(Gah! Thumbnails of thumbnails, sorry for how over contrasty and dark and blurry these look!)

The original costume has a crepe underskirt which fills in the front opening of the skirt nicely. I have seen some crepe that will work well now that I have the outerskirt made.
The black layer of the skirt is in fact two layers. This can really be seen clearly in a few screen caps. So far I have patterned the black overlayer to the uppermost and that took all night Wink This is because the stripes are alternated and so it requires a fair bit of fine clipping and shaping to get there. These were the pieces before reshaping:

The second black layer has the stripes aligned with the bottom edge rather than side seams (as they are in the first layer) so again a fair bit of shaping and piecing going on Wink

I'll probably have to get a layer of nettng into these layers to help them hold a little more shape than they are now and to also mount the striped fabric too.
The bretelles will need some stiffening and especially stiffening along the edges to hold them out past the shoulder.

Like I said, this is far more complex than it appears!
Zocha (Carolyn-Michelle)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great Neimhaille! Fantastic fabric find. Makes me wish I had found something similar when I was working on this costume, ended up individually sewing the black stripes.

Very inspiring.
Looking forward to more! Very Happy
Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Glad you're working on this one Smile I love the design - your progress so far looks awesome - look forward to seeing more Smile
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both Smile

I managed to cut all the pieces for the skirt last night and zigzag them flat to the red fabric. While the fabric was a great find it has to be cut out just so as the nap is really obvious in two directions- it is a little wasteful compared to how I'd like to have cut the pieces Smile

I also got the fabric sewn to the lower sleeve sections too. The only part where the stripes are continuous Wink

Still a spot of tweaking to go with the flare of the upper skirt piece but it does sit out nicely like the original so it's a matter of a few mm here and there Smile

The bretelles are also cut in alternating stripes so I'll have to get to work on that today as well Wink Maybe some better daylight photos- I need to fix the exposure levels for flash on my camera anyway.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress!

The skirt layers- just needs hemming and a spot of shaping.

And a self lined bodice with sleeves pinned in place. And shelves tidied Wink
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great so far!

Do you want geek chic accessories that show your fandom? Check out my Etsy!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BenaeQuee

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Very Happy
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

Sigh. I have just got net to make the bretelles and to line the sleeves when I noticed something odd while measuring what I needed.

The actual sleeves are semi bishop sleeves. The cuffs are bound like the skirts but then there is an internal tube of fabric which gathers at the wrist. it's very hard to see as it is in shadow most of the time but look closely here:
http://rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/sabe.php at the hi res of the first image. You can see the tube mainly because it's the same striped/nubbed black fabric and the stripes radiate like spokes from wrist to cuff.
Also in the hi res second to last of the promo pics you can see it hanging outside the cuff a very little.

I'm not a great fan of this detail (mainly for the extra work it's quite funky in and of itself) but now that I have seen it I cannot unsee so it'll get made as well. After all that effort to make a nice lining for the sleeve too.

These exhibit photos offer some more info for people too Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noelyas/4129940302/sizes/o/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michellelepeley/3744098044/in/set-72157619336212506/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michellelepeley/3743388459/sizes/l/in/set-72157619336212506/
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome progress...and thanks for the extra pics. Way more to it than I first would have thought!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!
princessadrelia ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: very nice Reply with quote

Wow, looks like a lot of work!!!!!

Cant wait to see the finished dress! Mr. Green
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile I didn't take photos tonight but I have made heaps more progress Smile
~assembled and seed the sleeve linings.
~zigzagged the lower sleeves to upper (all three layers of striped, red and net fabrics)
~ zigzagged over all the joins between striped sections- almost satin stitch but the layers wiggled too much so I had to do the zig zagging twice.
~mounted the skirt sections to netting
~reshaped skirt sections
~ cut striped sections for bretelles and mounted them to netting

Bought bias tape to bind all raw edges of striped sections.

And I also hand sewed several rows of pleats for a totally different project but made of red silk Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Handmaidens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: