Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6e8d60aabf3dcb9c974d203c0dc9399aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blue Linen Dress Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Blue Linen Dress Project Reply with quote

So, I am pregnant and I will have my little girl in my arms around the 23th of May. This means that I cannot fit into either my jedi costume or my Luminara, and missing the Legoland event the 30th of April-1st of May is unacceptable! So, in November I started making Padme's blue linen dress and I am almost finished. Hopefully, I can get it approved before the event in Randers (next week, 9th of April).

It is this dress that is called the 'Blue Linen Dress':
http://www.rebellegion.com/padme-amidalaskywalker-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-navy-blue-linen-dress/

I made the pattern for the fitted bodice in November using this guide: http://sewing.wonderhowto.com/how-to/draft-basic-bodice-pattern-0120717/ and found the garment which wasn't easy at all. Apparently, lace without flowers it a rare thing and dense lace isn't a standard item in fabric stores. The best I could find (after hours and hours of search and visits to several fabric stores in Denmark and London) was this:

As you see it is not navy at all. Since it is polyester the coloring process wasn't as easy as it would have been with cotton. I colored it to a light blue using half dark blue and half black color packs from iDye Poly. It refused to take in more color and I decided to finish the dress and color it afterwards using airbrush.

Here is a picture of one half of the back. I modified the pattern to have a mock turtleneck, inverted v empire waist and a zipper in the back.

The finished bodice:

I had never done a pleated skirt before but it turned our exactly as I wanted it. Here is the full dress:

It is just pleated a little in the front to make room for the baby and it is pleated fully in the back for fullness.

Here is a close up of the inverted v empire waist:

Here is the dress after first layer of color:

I fixed the color with ironing to get the color into the fibers of the fabric and it turned out really well.

Padme wears some gemstones with the dress both around the nack and around half of the waist.

(This great picture of the gemstones are borrowed from JaclynGFC topic about her blue linen dress: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38561&highlight=blue+linen+dress+padme)

It was relatively easy to find the small gemstones but the large ones were nowhere to be found and if I found something that was usable, it was really expensive. I ended up drawing them in 3D and print them.
Here they are:

I tried to paint one of them black with spray color but I did not file it enough before coloring. Currently, my boyfriend is spraying them first with filler, then with color and then a matte lacquer (the fumes are poisonous even with a mask on and I'm the one carrying the baby Wink).

Before we sprayed them, I drilled holes for the attachment of the strings of the other gems:

I plan on finishing this tomorrow (or Sunday..)! and it is definitely possible if nothing unexpected occurs.

Last edited by Tionne () on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks fantastic so far! Well done! Personally, I would like to see your lace even a bit darker in color, if you can get it there. On screen the dress looks so dark blue, it's almost black.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jenna Smile

The dress is colored with blue and black color mixed up 50/50, why the color in reality is almost completely black. You have to hold something black up against it to realize that it is indeed navy. The camera on my phone isn't good to catch color correctly. I will try to take a picture of it with a better camera later today.
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture is taken with my Nikon camera and shows the color much better:
Darth Sunshine (Andrea)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely! What kind of paint did you use to air brush it?

Proud to be part of Kessel Base - Starblossom Delegation Leader - RLGS council member

WIP: Hera Syndulla & Jarael
Future: X-Wing Pilot | Mission Vao v2 | Way too many Padmé costumes

deviantArt | facebook
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Createx Colors from Auto Air. It has never disappointed me and I have used it on several types of fabric, leather, plastics and ceramics.
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday the gemstones got filled, colored and coated:
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look fantastic! And the darker photo of the lace looks great too. You really are moving through this quickly.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great to see what you have got done, Tionne. Very Happy I look forward to seeing it in person.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beautiful!! Great job!!
Sothis (Alyona)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's looking so great so far! Thanks for sharing your progress Smile
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is wondering what has happened on the project today and yesterday, almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Working with beads just takes far too long time for my taste and if you are doing it too fast it will go wrong. Today I've managed to count wrong several times, take the large beads when I needed the small and not realized it before quite a lot of work had been done, accidentally dropped my small container with the smallest beads on the floor (about 1000 beads and yes, the floor is far away when you are 33 weeks pregnant) and finished a long cord of beads but then cutting the wire instead of the excess wire...

However, here are some pictures of the progress that is the result of today.

These are the gemstones which is now done! All surrounded by a cord of small beads and the three large ones surrounded by a cord of large beads too and small... eh.. I do not have a word for them. Well, you can see it at the picture and the reference picture some posts above;)

I also finished the necklace:

Then, I moved on to gluing strong magnets to the three large gemstones in order to attach them to the dress. However, the super glue from my brand new tube refuses to harden...

Wow, a picture of non hardened super glue... I will buy new glue tomorrow.

At least all these beads that are to be placed between the gemstones are finished!:

.. and every time I get frustrated about these gemstones and beads all I got to do is look at the all finished dress and then I just cannot wait to get the jewelry details completely done!
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remarkable! Just really great on those gems. Thumbs up
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a deep breath; you are almost there and I know you can do it. Very Happy

Those large gemstones turned out really well!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Tionne ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I was sick a week and after that I just didn't find the time to update this thread but here we go.

I finished the costume and send the application for approval to the judges last Wednesday with the following pictures:

and some details:

Now I just hope that the costume will be approved before the Legoland event 29th of April! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: