Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5b86c9ef5010a978307fb1e0741bb538Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

how to make the scarfs in the weathering ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shayvidas ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: how to make the scarfs in the weathering ? Reply with quote

i mean i know that the general principal or weathering the helmets,
is just thin black paint with water, spread it, then wipe it & repeat.
but how do you make the scarf's, where it looks as though the paint has gotten a hit or something like clearly in this picture >

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/EFX10020.jpg

anyone any ideas ?

ive read some people do it with a white, or silver pen ? do you know how to do something like that ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc57R8brWBKyZ7LGyez1MCQ

i show there how i made all my Star wars cosplays,

* Have a Great DAY !!

* Do what feels good...
rlobrecht ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drop your helmet on the concrete a few times?
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlobrecht wrote:
drop your helmet on the concrete a few times?

I don't recommend doing that as you might end up with a badly broken helmet.

How you make scratches, paint chips, ect.. depends on what you want to make them on. If you have applied decals to your helmet, you may want to be careful about how you go about it. Some decals may tear apart really easily causing more damage than you may have intended.
I would lightly score the decal using an exacto knife, then peel away the bits you wish to remove.
You can also lightly hit it with the handle end of a metal spoon or similar to create scratches and scuff marks.
This should work really well on painted surfaces.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put a silver paint pen on top, that is the easy, fast way.

The complicated and slow way is to paint a base silver then put your colors on top like white, red and so on. When you scuff the upper paint, the silver underneath will reveal. Natural aging. People will think it's a real metal helmet.

If you also do a sub-layer of spattered browns, yellows and orange, you can simulate rust. Sandwich that between silver layers and then the top colors on top.

It's all about layering and sanding down to bring a little back, then another layer of paint and sanding again. The paint must dry between each layer.

Between each layer you can use a 'mask', like rubber cement, hair spray or table salt. Dab or sprinkle the mask material here and there on a layer you like, paint over that layer, remove the material, usually with water, and you have deliberately exposed a big patch of bare silver or rust or whatever. Then mask that next layer just a little different. Do this over and over to creative effect and the results are compelling.

If you drop your helmet on concrete or scuff the current paint, you will reveal white plastic. If you layer the paint, when you drop your helmet, you will reveal silver or rust or whatever is underneath.

If there is any white plastic, use a silver marker to quickly hide it.

Here is my helmet with some 25+ layers of paint.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my gear I use sand paper and needle files. The sand paper works well for larger areas that I want to stuff up (and for general light roughing for weathering with paint), and the needle files work well for scraping smaller details and along edges and things like that.

I do general weathering with watered down paint (sometimes black, sometimes black with a little brown depending on how I want it to look). If I want a heavy spot of weathering, like a burn mark or something, I use watered down paint that I've added dish soap to, brush that onto the helmet, then hit a spot with a quick spray of black spray paint, wait just a moment, and then wipe it off. The soapy paint water wont completely let the black spray paint adhere so it comes out looking like a burn.

Hit each layer with clear coat so you don't wipe off the weathering you did previously.

If I want things to look like metal I'll usually just brush on some silver paint around edges, usually with a very fine brush. I just dab it on randomly so there's no uniformity to it.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: