Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bc49af46f54264099cbee672e29cbff2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth boots help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Princess (Jordan West)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Hoth boots help Reply with quote

Hi! I'm working on a Hoth Leia costume, and the footwear is giving me fits. Hoping for some guidance from the masters. Smile

As of right now, the boot looks like this (with a plan to suede the leather and reduce shine):

Assuming these will pass muster (and please please tell me if they won't), the big challenge is that they have a block heel, which I need to turn into a wedge.

Does anyone have experience turning heeled shoes into wedges or suggestions on how to proceed? I've thought about carving a cork block or styrofoam to fit or stacking foam core, then covering the heel with fabric and adding a thin layer of rubber to the bottom to resole.

I'm completely flailing on this and very much stressed, so any thoughts at all will be helpful. Thanks!
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about buying a covered foot wedge shoe, and them making the boot over it with the suede? If you are going to have to do alot of modification, why not at least get he proper shoe base and work your way up?
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
What about buying a covered foot wedge shoe, and them making the boot over it with the suede? If you are going to have to do alot of modification, why not at least get he proper shoe base and work your way up?

That was my original plan, but it would end up costing more money. These boots were about $8, as opposed to the $30-$50 I'd spend on new shoes, which I'd still have to alter.

If it turns out that making wedges just won't work, then I'll go back to plan A, but I want to at least try to work with what I've got. My day jobs don't pay much, and cosplay doesn't pay anything. Smile
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo from the side? How much area do you have to fill?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
Can you post a photo from the side? How much area do you have to fill?

Not very much. Without measuring, I'd say they're about 2" high. Probably a total volume of 6-7 cubic inches per shoe?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd try with the foam; shape it to form and cover it with fabric. It just has to look the part, but not actually take much stress.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balsa wood is also easy to carve and may take the strain a little better, or you could used stacked EVA foam, which has more flexibility.

One tip I do have, the new original trilogy costume book really makes it look like the straps are webbing (like x-wing belts) rather than more leather. However, we would accept the straps you have now.

That is very clever to cut open an existing boot and add a tongue. Smile

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Balsa wood is also easy to carve and may take the strain a little better, or you could used stacked EVA foam, which has more flexibility.

Ooh. That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of using a softer wood. Thanks!

Quote:
One tip I do have, the new original trilogy costume book really makes it look like the straps are webbing (like x-wing belts) rather than more leather. However, we would accept the straps you have now.

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
That is very clever to cut open an existing boot and add a tongue. Smile

It's actually the boot lining. The outside of the boots was slouched, so I had to cut them open anyway, and I just folded over the outside and took in the lining to make them fit better. I've never altered shoes before, so this has been an adventure. Smile
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: