Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=383aaa50bed5f1e361c50c8df158926cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bespin Escape Leia Planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acrossthestars (Jessica Sensenig)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Bespin Escape Leia Planning Reply with quote

Hello! I’m Jessica, and I’m very excited to get this costume underway! Just wanted to get some feedback as I plan and start to gather materials.

Hair: My hair is currently just past my shoulders, but despite its thickness, I doubt it’ll be Leia-thick to actually pull off the hairstyle even when it grows out. Thus, I plan to put my hair in the actual back bun and use hair extensions (pinned under the bun) for the looped braids.
Also, I recall reading about some members using a thin hair net wrapped around buns to keep the hair smoothed down. Would this be a good option to look into?

Fabric: I haven’t found much information on what fabrics to use for the jumpsuit. I’m in Pennsylvania, so most of the troops around here seem to be indoor or out at baseball games on hot days. I’d rather not use snowsuit/very warm material then.
Any fabric suggestions?

Back seam: I additionally saw this mentioned on another post. Is this a good reference to adhere to regarding the back seam? I have seen other members just have the back seam straight also.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66169

Boots: I plan to purchase these boots, as I found them recommended on another post. http://www.toteunlimited.com/store/product.php?productid=16169&cat=407&page=1

It’s tricky with sewing patterns since the main two Kwik Sew patterns that I saw used are out of print. However, a friend helped me find Kwik Sew #2588 on ebid, which I promptly ordered.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice on tackling this costume! Thank you!
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bespin Escape Leia Planning Reply with quote

Hey Jessica!

I recently completed a Hoth and Leia and got a TON of help from some people on here- I used all-weather fabric as I live in Boston and it gets super cold so I don't have a lot of thought about ways to do a lighter version… perhaps you could look into some type of suiting fabric that has no shine or gain?

For the hair, I really recommend getting the Sassy hair extensions, they are cheap and easy to match to your own hair. I have experimented with putting my hair in a pony-tail, then pinning braids to that elastic and then folding a bun over the top and I think it works well.

Re the back seam, I would do it straight, it's hard because you never know in pictures what is pinned or pinched- in the pic you linked it looks like she is sitting so it's not super clear what might be happening, I found this pic and hope it is helpful…. all the best!

http://randraceformula.tripod.com/lecoq/links/leisure/starwars/leia2.jpg
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jessica,

I would suggest using a hair net to keep the bun nice and clean looking. I've found it very helpful with many of the Leia hairstyles.

The boots look like they will work well.
acrossthestars (Jessica Sensenig)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bespin Escape Leia Planning Reply with quote

@Kill-Joy
Hello!

Yes, I certainly realized that other members offer a wealth of help and information!
Alright, I'll keep looking and researching. Is the material you used super warm?

Thank you for the suggestions - that's probably how I'll tackle the hair then~~

Sounds good - thanks again!

@Beth
Thank you! I shall definitely look into one. Is there some specific brand or type that I should get? I haven't exactly bought a hair net before. Smile

And that's great to hear! I plan to order them soon.
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bespin Escape Leia Planning Reply with quote

acrossthestars wrote:

@Beth
Thank you! I shall definitely look into one. Is there some specific brand or type that I should get? I haven't exactly bought a hair net before. Smile

And that's great to hear! I plan to order them soon.

I usually just get whatever I can find at the local store that matches closest to my hair color.
McGrowl (Sal Mousavi)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jessica!

My lady is currently putting together her Bespin Escape Leia outfit, and after calling the folks over at style plus, she isn't convinced that the Nancy boots will last very long at all. Have you been happy with yours? Are they very durable and worth the price?

Thank you!

Sal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: