Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fd8eb4fadc515e9ca0c81e252e7d9999Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Peasant Padme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Tatooine Peasant Padme Reply with quote

Hey all! I am doing my research now for Tatooine Peasant Padme as I will be creating it later this year after my little one is born. I made this costume WAY back when I was 14 when the film came out with found fabric in my house lol, so it's way overdue to be remade for my adult self! Any tips or patterns that you used would be appreciated. I'll be using references from Padawan's guide, but anything else would be amazing! Thanks!

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! This costume was my very first costume in the Legion, and it is still one of my favorites. While I was working on it, I got lucky enough to stumble into an exhibit that had the real costume on display. That was a huge help in getting all of the details right for me.

A couple of quick tips, but I'd be happy to answer more specific questions:

The blue shirt is a double-layer material. It's got some kind of very loosely woven scarf-like material on top of something like a cotton gauze. Neither of these fabrics is what is used in the belt, which is a slightly different color, and is totally some kind of cheese cloth (that is literally what I used).

The vest is some kind of basket-weave fabric. If you find a good supplier, let me know. I've been hunting for a better material to redo mine.

The wrist wraps are also a cheese cloth.

The sleeves themselves are quite long, gathered in a bit at the ends, then folded back onto your wrist. That gives the nice billowy look at the end.

The Padawan's Guide tutorial for the belt is flat-out wrong. If you take a look at the reference images (copy and paste: http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/tatooine/tk4.jpg) you can see that it's one layer of blue, a brown layer, and another thinner blue layer on top. I used a tight zig-zag on my machine to reproduce the diagonal stripe pattern on the belt, and then hand-embroidered the little yellow circles.

I used a wine-colored suiting fabric with just a little stretch for my pants. I'm pretty sure I used a draw-string sweat pants pattern for them.

Please keep us updated with your progress here and let me know if you have any other questions!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: