Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5c1dec374eb4852161b34384290e73e6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey Goggles-FINISHED! *Pic Heavy!!*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Rebel Supporters Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Rey Goggles-FINISHED! *Pic Heavy!!* Reply with quote

As soon as I saw Rey’s costume unveiled at Celebration last year, I knew, if nothing else, that I wanted to make a pair of those rockin’ cool goggles. After doing some research and pouring over tons of photos, I finally started that project this past week. In doing so, I think I may have stumbled onto a secret of their construction that might not have been previously realized (at least I didn’t catch it till I started building).

We all recognize the lenses as having come out of a TK helmet; but I think our heroic desert-scavenger did more than just harvest the lenses out of a TK helmet. I think the entire eye frame section was removed from a discarded TK helmet. More specifically, they were removed from a TIE Pilot’s helmet. Here’s the evidence to support that argument.

I’ve had one of the old vinyl Don Post TIE Pilot helmets in storage for several years. When I first decided I wanted to make these goggles, I thought of it immediately as a source for the lenses. However, they were more difficult to remove from the helmet than I anticipated; so I decided maybe I would just go ahead and cut away a portion of the helmet as well, that way I would have a base to attach the layers of leather to anyway. When looking at the helmet there was a certain portion that naturally seemed to lend itself to being the lines to cut; just under the “helmet “ portion and around the “frame” between the lenses and the teardrop. Seen here:

Here’s what was left of the poor TIE Pilot when I was finished with him:

And here’s the lens portion removed from the helmet:

Looking at them, they very strongly resembled the shape of Rey’s goggles. My suspicions grew. To confirm them, I turned to these two photos from the Celebration costume exhibit:

Next, I made tracings of each photo, which gave me these drawings:

I took a measurement of the height of the lens from the TIE Pilot helmet and made a quick trip to my local Kinko’s to blow up my drawings until the height of the lens on the drawing matched the height of the lens from the TIE Pilot helmet. The enlarged side view drawing also gives other important information, such as the stitching pattern around the lenses, and the approximate sizes of the flashlight and the metal binder clips for the elastic straps. I cut out the shape of the mask and the lens openings from the enlarged tracing and placed it over the piece I removed from the TIE Pilot helmet. Without changing or adjusting anything, the shape and curve of the top edge and the lens opening lined up perfectly!

Rey’s goggles wrap further around her head than the natural edge of the TIE helmet fragment does. That means that the leather cowling that covers the helmet piece hast to be made longer on the sides, as seen here:

This will be important later. Next, I made a template for that piece by merging the front view and side view drawings together, like so:

When complete, I get this composite template:

After cutting this out of heavy cardstock and double-checking the fit over the lenses, I cut the cowling out of 7/8oz. leather. That was then wet-molded to something that roughly approximated the curve of the lens piece that will end up behind it. In my case that was a bustform:

After the leather sat overnight to dry, I pulled the molded mask off the bustform and placed it over the lens portion that I removed from the TIE Pilot helmet:

Now we're cookin' with gas!! (or water if you're making portions...)

Join me next time for further evidence for the TIE Pilot theory of Rey's goggle construction...

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."

Last edited by CaptSolo77 (Brian) on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next step in constructing Rey’s goggles is to add the wool trim around them, which also happens to be the next piece of evidence to support the “TIE Pilot eyepiece theory.” We can see some telling evidence in this image:

Here, the wool trim disappears behind the leather cowling at the points circled in green; but the end of the leather cowling extends past that point, as indicated by the red line. I believe this is because the wool trim is actually trimming out the TK eyepiece, and the leather cowling is then sewn onto it. So, the next thing we need is some wool trim. I made that by picking up some ½” upholstery piping and some grey wool felt from the fabric store:

I then sprayed the piping with spray mount and wrapped it with the grey felt. I painted the remaining portion of the piping (the part used to sew through) dark grey and trimmed down the excess, leaving just enough to sew through:

There are other options for the trim, including using a wool army blanket or even an old wool coat from a thrift store. Both of those would leave A LOT of excess material, though, so I went with this method. Next, the trim gets sewn to the TK eyepiece. Now Rey’s goggles only match the edge of the eyepiece along the top, the leather cowling on the bottom is further down than the bottom edge of the eyepiece, so the trim only gets sewn to the eyepiece along the sides and top, as seen here:

At this point, it’s time to sew the leather cowling onto the eyepiece. The cowling has now been painted a very light greyish-tan, roughly the same color as the pigskin leather that will be the final layer of the goggles:

The notches cut in the top edge will be for the little strips that wrap around the wool trim. Now the rest of the trim is sewn onto the bottom edge of the leather cowling, as seen here:

I wasn't really happy with the first set of little straps I installed, so I cut new ones and filled in the first set of notches I had cut in the top. I had initially thought the strips were about 1/2" wide, but they are actually closer to 1/4" and further apart than how I had made them at first. Here's a shot of the goggles from the inside at this point:

This seems like a good place to stop for today. Next time, the pigskin outer layer, the stitching around the eyes...these things will really start coming together !!

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now comes the fun part!! After building a solid foundation for the goggles, it’s time to add the cosmetic top layers that will really make these start looking like Rey’s goggles. I bought a small pigskin suede in an ivory color, and copied the stitching pattern I traced from my earlier drawing onto the suede, using transfer paper:

Next, I stitched in the design. Contrary to the current proposed Costume Standard, I don’t believe that thread is black. I used the lightest brown color I could find at Tandy’s, and the stitches still stand out pretty well. My thread is just a shade or two darker than jute twine. Using black would just make this look way too cartoony, in my opinion. After that, I cut out the mask shape and the eye holes, and secured the suede to the goggle base:

One thing to notice on the original prop is that the eye openings on this piece are not perfect; they look a bit rough and don’t exactly match the opening in the leather cowling underneath. The next thing to add are the metal clips that hold the bungee string used to secure the goggles to Rey’s face. Here’s a detail shot of the clip from the Celebration exhibit:

And here’s one from Disney’s Star Wars Launch Bay exhibit. The one from these goggles is not rusted, so we can clearly see that it’s metal, not leather:

To the best of my knowledge, no one has sourced these pieces yet. I strongly believe they’re from the binder latches you’d find on a ski boot or a dirt biking boot, but no one knows for sure where they came from. That means it’s time for some custom fabrication. I picked up some mid-weight aluminum sheet from Home Depot, got out the tin snips, and cooked up these little beauties:

Not a perfect match, but definitely close enough for government work. Here’s a comparison after adding a little rust effect:

Now we simply attach them to the goggles and add some bungee cord, and we’re nearly finished:

You can see the mount for the little flashlight already installed on the right side of the goggles. We’ll install that next time, and we should have a finished set of goggles.

Stay tuned!!

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we’re in the home stretch now. The little flashlight has been nearly as much work as the rest of the goggles put together!! In looking at the costume display as well as the movie screenshots, the flashlight appears to be a CREE light. CREE lights have a distinctive yellow colored bulb when not lit, which was visible on the costume on display at CVII, and a bright blue light when powered on (as seen in the movie). After scouring through pages of CREE flashlights on eBay, I finally decided on this one:

It may be just a bit big, but it’s REALLY close to the measurements I got from my tracing. Plus, it has a shape and detailing that can be worked with. The first thing I did was Bondo over the exterior of the flashlight to get rid of all those little notches in it. Sanded it out and hit it with some primer to get it smooth. To attach the flashlight to the goggles, I used the swivel mechanism from one of those cheap clamp lights from Home Depot. You can see the swivel part of it already installed in the last post. Here is the flashlight after priming, as well as the other part of the clamp light mount:

The large “C” shape at the end of the clamp light mount is what held the original light fixture. It’s obviously too large for the flashlight, so I cut that part off and fabricated a holder for the flashlight from sheet aluminum:

It’s kind of hard to describe how this whole thing works, but just looking at the assembly on the original clamp light should help clear things up. I’ll try to post some detail shots of the finished mount system at the end. Next, there are some little ribbing details that need to be added so the light more closely resembles the screen version. I cut those from lightweight styrene and used Gorilla Super Glue gel to glue them to the flashlight. Here is a pic before painting so you can clearly see the pieces I’ve added:

Also, the diameter of the lens on Rey’s flashlight is smaller than the one I bought, so I made this little reducer (which does seem to be on the screen version as well):

(Sorry about the blurry pics...)

Finally, I painted the whole thing with Rust Oleum hammered silver. When the paint dried, I rubbed it against a stucco wall to scratch it up a bit, mounted it to the goggles, and voila!

From the front:

And with the light on:

You can see the CREE light has that same intense blue quality that the movie version has. I’m fairly pleased with how these came out. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I think they’ll make a nice accessory to the costume.

Hopefully this will be helpful or inspirational for others looking to add this awesome piece to their Rey outfit!!

Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They turned out great! Thanks for showing your step-by-step process.
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these look great. I really like what you did with the light Smile
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! Awesome pics!
Former RL Liaison to the FLG
Former BSN Admid.
Neomia_Rose (Natalie Emmanuel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love this tutorial but do you know if there is a way to do the goggles without taking apart an expensive helmet?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neomia_Rose wrote:
I really love this tutorial but do you know if there is a way to do the goggles without taking apart an expensive helmet?

Yes, I think you could cut the basic shape of the TIE pilot helmet from Sinatra or worbla...maybe even another piece of wet-molded leather. You would then mount the TK lenses to that and proceed from there. The lenses are usually available on eBay and, if you go that route, you could actually get the more screen-accurate green lenses.

I'll see if I can get a tracing of the TIE pilot lens frame and post it up here.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did Rey for the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo and got good feedback but I gotta tweak some parts of my costume before I can submit it for approval. One of the items being the goggles. I appreciate having this tutorial to go off of.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the template for the portion of the TIE pilot helmet:

I believe the helmet I used is a bit smaller than a full-scale TIE helmet, so I think the best thing to do would be to buy your lenses first. The thermoformed green bubble lenses would be the most accurate to what was in the original prop. Something like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Stormtrooper-Green-Thermo-formed-Bubble-Lense-Set-/121803191326?hash=item1c5c09341e:g:e2EAAOSwaNBUgIft

Blow up the template I provided until the opening for the lenses roughly matches the size of the green lenses. That will give you the rough starting point and size to start building the goggles. Then cut the pattern from sintra, worbla, or whatever, attach the lenses and you're off to the races!!

Also, here is a link to the flashlight I used in case you want to go that route:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191766966326?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good luck with your build!! Make sure and start a build thread so we can all follow along and learn from your experiences. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! Ran into some other stuff that needs to get done so I may have to put Rey on the back burner for a little bit. I'll be sure to post my progress once I get working on her again though. And I really do appreciate the tutorial (and I'm sure many others do as well)! Keep up the good work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Rebel Supporters Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: