Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=17b764aa452738030ccd1600cb130b42Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH & ROTJ vest top pocket question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: ANH & ROTJ vest top pocket question Reply with quote

I want to clarify a few things with those who've seen the original vests, please.

1. That right top pocket has a smaller pocket on top.

2. The one under it has a rounded cut out on the outer side to allow for quick access. Is the top pocket's edge slightly cut away to sit right with the other pocket under it?

3. There should be one cover flap over over them, like the ones on the bottom.

4. All are expandable pockets, with the exception of the upper top two small ones.

I'm about to start cutting these out. I am utilizing leftover material (sleeves) from the BDU jacket that I'm converting and there won't be much in the way of wiggle room for mistakes. This one is going to be the one without the back of vest pocket, but is the template for the other one that will need the back pocket.

Two at once isn't so bad if done at the same time. Smile
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer a few of these questions. I made the ANH vest but I made the costume without RL standards in mind. However, my vest is decently accurate in regards to pockets. First off the pockets on the front for ANH and ROTJ are different, and if I get this wrong I'm sure some one else will correct me Smile

The ANH vest has the double on the right with the rounded corner, the ROTJ vest does not have this and its a normal pocket configuration.

Here are some pics of my ANH vest and patterns I used for the pockets:

Hopefully someone else can add to this to cover the rest of your questions, when I made my vest I didn't study the details close enough so I don't want to guide you in the wrong direction.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the ROTJ one is the one without a large rear pocket. If that's the one you're working on, hold off!! The front pockets are completely different on the ROTJ vest.

It doesn't have the "crescent moon" pocket on the upper right side. The pockets are all square with pocket flaps. I'm at work now, but when I get home I can get you some measurements off my vest. Basically, there are two square shaped pockets on the top of each side. Each of those pockets has a smaller squareish pocket sewn on top of it; then there are two larger squareish pockets beneath them, both with flaps.

I'll post some more info when I get home.

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you guys answered me.

ANH = rounded out corner and no cover flap
ROTJ = unchanged pocket with a pocket flap

Thanks! I have to say this would be 1000+ times easier if those older threads still had valid images instead of that generic "no image" thing.
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
Actually, you guys answered me.

ANH = rounded out corner and no cover flap
ROTJ = unchanged pocket with a pocket flap

Thanks! I have to say this would be 1000+ times easier if those older threads still had valid images instead of that generic "no image" thing.

Yeah I think that's because you have to host the images somewhere else in order to post them and it's up to individual users to keep those services up and running. If a user closes their account to a service hosting the images or removes them, really nothing you can do about it. If you could upload images to the forum then maybe there would be less broken images, but that means you need more storage in your hosting for a forum like this and it can get expensive fast. Can you tell I'm a software engineer Smile
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. This is a first for me. How the devil do you reconcile software engineer with costuming? I bet your friends tell you that you lead a double life! ROTF

But I do understand how that hosting stuff works, it just sucks to see so many broken links.
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
Okay. This is a first for me. How the devil do you reconcile software engineer with costuming? I bet your friends tell you that you lead a double life! ROTF

Oh wait it gets better, I'm also a musician and play bass and guitar. This is what happens when you have an artistic side but are also really good at math and science. Creative + analytical = costuming ????
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah I think that's because you have to host the images somewhere else in order to post them and it's up to individual users to keep those services up and running.

This is exactly right and, speaking of crappy image-hosting sites, photobucket was down for maintenance all night last night, so I couldn't post these up till today. Not sure if they're still going to be helpful to you, but here they are anyway:

A couple points on construction:

1) The ROTJ vest is overall a bit longer and not as cropped as the ANH vest. The bottom edge of the ROTJ vest should sit roughly even with the bottom edge of the three-hole belt, whereas the ANH one sits about an inch or so above the belt.

2) The ROTJ vest does not have a waistband, the ANH does.

3) On the ANH vest, the loops on the back are made from individual pieces of fabric for each loop, the ROTJ is one long strip with the loops sewn in,

4) The loops on the ANH sit right under and in direct contact with the yoke. The loops on the ROTJ sit 5/8" below the yoke.

I'm 6'3", and the overall vest length of 24.50" is the correct length for me. I think I've hit on everything there. I'll try to do some similar drawings for the ANH vest this weekend. It's a bit tougher because the pocket sizes are all over the place.

If you need any other measurements or clarification on details, feel free to ask!!

Keep your friends close and your blaster closer...

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, for playing the guessing game, I got pretty close to the mark on those measurements! Wow, yes I have amazed myself. Just to let you know:

The loops on back are 3.25 with .75 between.
The pockets are different from your design by about an inch (but I haven't measured this with the flap over it). I'd say after the flap is on, it's about there too.

My best guess for the difference in measurements, short as they are, is because the vest is for my husband, who normally wears an XL. This one is supposed to be for ROTJ, but I already sewed on those loops individually. Dangit.

What's the measurement for that back large pocket? If I have enough of the leftover sleeve material to make it, I'll just switch it to ANH instead, as I haven't sewn on those front pockets yet.

Thanks so much for these diagrams. Between you and beezd2, I should have a decent costume for my husband.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!! Sounds like you're on the right track.

So don't feel like you have to change things due to measurements or construction details. Neither I nor Zac are going to ask you to put a tape measure on your pocket, or deny a costume over an inch here or there. That's all just to give you an idea of relative proportions and would vary according to height, body type, etc.

Same thing with the loops on the back. Neither of us would deny it because the loops are separate instead of one strip. That's just info for people who are really detail oriented and want to make it as accurate as possible. Kind of like the topstitching in the ESB jacket; it doesn't even have to be in there at all to be approved. We will judge strictly on how the Standards are written, and the Standards don't specify separate pieces or that they touch the yoke or not.

As long as everything looks visually pretty accurate, you shouldn't have any trouble. If the pockets look obviously too large, that's when we might question it, but I doubt either of us will perceive half an inch. Wink

If you do want to do the other vest, though, the rear pocket is around 14"-14.5" wide, 8.5" high and has about a 2.5"-2.75" flap. It sits directly below the loops, the top edge of the pocket is touching the bottom of the loops. The waistband on the ANH vest is 1.75" wide.

The length of it from the collar to the bottom of the waistband is 20," so it's about 4.50" shorter than the ROTJ vest. If you're looking at it from the back, there should be some of the white shirt showing between the bottom of the vest and the top of the pants, as seen here:

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing some photos soon!!

CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the drawings for the ANH vest, so thought I'd post them up in case they might be helpful:

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Now that's some Star Wars love from ya! Excellent of you to post this too.

You really ought to make a new permanently at the top thread with all four of those images. Would save people a ton of time, energy, and wasted material.

FYI, when I tried to save and open your picture in my mac preview app, it said it wasn't recognizable to open it. It's supposed to be a jpg though, right?
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff in here!

Keep in mind the measurements vary from person to person. I'm not as tall as Brian so naturally my vest is slightly shorter and smaller overall to fit proportionally to myself.

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
bloodwalker ()

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing job. Thanks Brian for the patterns.

I am starting an ANH vest. I had bought last year a cosplaying Han Solo costume and I thought that I could use the vest but (after reading this thread) I don’t think so. Would you be so kind to ask me some question?

1. The base shape for the vest is rectangular (B) or hexagonal (A)?

2. What fabric do you think is more screen accurate? Heavy cotton?
Thanks

B.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with style "A" and a good fabric is a standard cotton twill. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: