Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3017d58c3230c5dedd884c7138213ed3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Slave Leia Sourcing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Slave Leia Sourcing Reply with quote

Hi, all.
After attending our first Celebration in Anaheim this past April, my wife decided we are definitely going to London and would do so as RL members. With my X-pilot suit about ready for approval, it's time to start on her costume. And for her first, she'd really like join the other Slave Leia's on the Jabba shoot when London rolls around in July.

I've done a ton of reading and research for her over the last months. My main question comes down to sources for the bikini and thoughts on craftsmanship, durability, delivery times, costs, benefits and downsides of each.

Jaimin seems to be the tops, but also seems to have let his domain lapse and disappeared here in Los Angeles somewhere until he can find space to start casting again.

I've seen mention of the leiastrooper site and those pages seem to be actively maintained. It sounded like they and Jaimin used to be the same operation until some fracture happened and they split (iirc).

I had thought there was one other source, perhaps with 'dragon' or a similar word in the name? But as I did not bookmark the thread, I have lost track of that one.

If Leiastrooper is currently the only source for the bikini, then that moots the issue as that will be the only place to get the parts. We are still saving money for the costume at this point, so we have some time before making a decision on who to go with. We would appreciate feedback and/or any latest news on any of the potential sources for costume parts.

I've started my wife's vibro axe and am only two or three parts away from finishing (the danco tip, motorcycle greeblie and "side-tube details" still to do). I've got a modern Melnor soaker on there now and while close to the original in shape does need re-fashioning into the older style.

Here's the thread.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72684.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by GearsMcT () on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonfyre Designs and Leiastrooper both make good kits Smile I recommend the Leiastrooper site for beginners, because the Dragonfyre kit is a bit tough for beginners to put together.
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Liz.

Dragonfyre's site from what I can tell says he doesn't sell props, only items from his personal collection. That could be something he needs to publicly say, I understand.

Regardless, we are going for the complete leiastrooper kit.

What it comes down to is
$320 unpainted kit and boot toppers
$380 with fabric
or
$450 all finished with fabric and toppers.

For the DIY time value, the finished kit makes the best sense for us. It would cost us more to do the finishing in time alone, not to mention various materials, gas costs, etc. Any changes or upgrades can be done down the road with her eventual Jedi and Hoth Leia.

One thing I don't ever think I've seen mentioned in the threads is a typical brand, style or even era of boot (apart from suede, low heel, tan). I have read a knee-high is often used and cut down to size. Is there a particular company that often that crops up again and again? Or perhaps a well-tested search string to get us in the ballpark?

It looks like the hair/wig would be the only other thing needed for a complete costume?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to the boots, but good luck with it. Smile

From what I've heard Jamin is also back in business, so I don't know if his prices are better. Haven't checked.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the boot matches the description - suede, low heeled, and the correct color, you should be fine. I used a pair on thigh high boots that I cut to fit the toppers. I was also able to use the leftover leather from the boots for the bikini top - that way they are a perfect match.
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that great idea on the boots, Blue!

Thanks for the note, Lora. I originally wanted to go with Jaimin a couple years ago, but we weren't ready. As of moments ago, his LMB domain remains lapsed and open to anyone who wants to buy it. And while I'm not 'on facebook', I see that Jaimin's last public update of 4 months ago mentions he had 8 outstanding orders back then to finish then. With no more recent updates from him, leiastrooper says they are ready to delivery on a week's lead time. With my wife's BDay two weeks away, I'm wanting to post our order today!
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropped $450 with Leiastrooper. They say about a week's turn-around time.

I'll have to get my wife posting here, her schedule is so busy and chaotic it leaves her little time for such things. Sad

Will shoot a open box review when it arrives and post it here.

Boots, wig and earrings next on the list.
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of these...
Beston CB02 Women's Flat Fold Over Snug Fit Knee High Boots

Only ~$40, shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BC1UW6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30GNXCQID4BXL

Most boots I'd been coming across had a half or full zipper along the inside or down the back. Glad I finally found these Beston's -if they look approvable... No heel, looks like enough off the top to replace the bikini material to match, perhaps.

As to other costume pieces, the earrings look easy enough to make from clay/Aves Apoxie Scuplt, leaving only the wig left to purchase.

And word from Tomak at LeiasTrooper, our order has shipped and should deliver on 2wks to the business day. Smile

Last edited by GearsMcT () on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those boots looks like a good choice to modify. Smile Good luck with it.

GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do seem like a decent option, don't they, Lora. Ordered the last pair in my wife's size moments ago. Throwing some 'amazon points' at the total brought them down to USD$11 shipped!

While the cost of earrings comes out of materials on-hand already, other costume costs total out to LT Suit $450, the Boots score for $11 and an unknown price for the wig. Keeping that to $39 totals the entire costume at USD$500 even!

Considering the shy $800 spent on my X-Pilot, that total is a relief. Yet it still shows that even an 'easy' or 'little' costume takes an investment. Adding the $200 I've spent on the vibro-ax and the few more bucks still to come there brings this Slave Leia to ~$750 -just the same as my Pilot. Adding the sandstorm robes and accoutrements will be a next step for likely another $hundred or $two.

The $500 additional on basic tools my wife needed, like a modern sewing/embroidery machine and a serger, can be amortized across all the costumes to come. She has plenty of ideas and the serger was a 'dream's fulfillment' kind of gift for her to get. The x-mas present of a modern sewing machine, compared to her 1950's Singer, blew her mind. The serger no less so. Next to look out for are dress mannequins.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. Smile Sometimes you get lucky and find just the right thing cheaply. But I certainly is aware that costumes aren't a cheap hobby. Even those you think 'na, this won't cost much' with they usually end up being more expensive than thought. Razz

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Leia's Trooper box arrived this evening! About a foot per side and well packed for shipping. While each costume piece was individually wrapped in plastic-wrap, the box was otherwise filled packed with loose, ripped-up pieces of padding foam. A big mess to control, but managed with minimal fuss.

There are no photos or video of the opening as my wife was feeling a little shy about it all. Her excitement mixed with trepidation about going public in an outfit like this. While she kept reminding herself that she wears less at the beach, a crowded convention floor is a different scenario entirely. I'll have to be on her flank the entire way. Grant and Hepburn all over again! Lol.

A quick glance at the parts shows that the bracelets are all too big for my wife's arms. We are hoping these pieces are resin and can be bent into better shape with heat. While the bra seemed loose and ill-fitting at first, giving it a good tie-down in the back helped keep bring it up and lock it in place. Amy was worried about the hip piece falling away, but now has no worries that it could fall off even if running. She thought the fabric billowed too much walking around our living room, but I didn't see that and perhaps a case of more wind than she's used to experiencing. She has to hem the length, so I figure why not put a light chain ala' a cloak or cape design along the bottom skirt? It won't be hurricane-proof, but must help in standard/milder winds, I'd think.

The boots should arrive this week. I'll get photos of all the parts, though they are also available on the leiastrooper site. The gown material is much more burgundy than their photo which shows a distinct red.

I may weather the 'metal' parts some as they are very 'clean'. A pass with some wet black enamel will bring the features to better light. I'm tempted to primer and Alclad some brass/bronze and gold paints over the pieces, re-do everything to make it more metal looking. The parts are all good looking by themselves and as they are approvable, that's all that really matters. However, they lack life or character of some sort, perhaps. They have a generic look about them.

As to accuracy, a cursory glance at the reference shows some distinct differences in the original designs and the interpretations used to create this kit. There were a number of different pieces used in the film, so lots of variation is a given and to be allowed for in any kit piece from any supplier. Without a side-by-side with Jaimin and Dragonfyre, there's no way for me to say definitively. It will be interesting to note the differences in London.

Is leiastrooper suit worth the money? Yes. Given our time constraints, getting the full kit complete was worth it. Out of the box approvable counts for a lot! And at the very least, it's an excellent starter to upgrade parts with your own creations, with the originals becoming spares.

As to my wife submitting for approval, she's going to take two months to tighten up. That also gives her time to for the wig, mod the boots and dig into her own research -including some fast sandstorm attire if we can swing it in time.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. I hope to see it and you in London. Smile

silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be wrong of me to say I envy your wife, just a bit? Approved out of the box, and capable of wearing it in public are two things I don't know if I could ever pull off in this lifetime.

Smile
I hope she gets a little thrill about trooping EVERY time she puts it on, because I know she'll have alot of fun wearing it!
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You as well, Lora!

Silvermitt: My wife is timid, so this will be a big stretch for her. She's glad I got the suit so early so that she could mentally adjust to the notion. Seeing the other Leia's at the C7 Jabba Shoot, she said to herself that she could do that and when she's a little old lady, she wants to point back to the photo and say 'that little hottie was me back in the day'! lol.

I can understand trepidation for wearing the 'suit' in public and she is not likely to wear it outside of a 'closed' environment like a con. Outside of cons, it doesn't seem like slave leia represents well. That would be why she's going for other Leia, pilot and jedi options -for 'coverage', if you will. Wink

----------------
And the boots did arrive the next day. They look exactly the same as in the previous photo, the sole has a very minimal footprint, the fur lining is only at the top, there is plenty of material to re-make and match the bra and they happen to fit perfectly and very comfortably, I'm told. I think these boots are a big recommendation from us for price, look, style. and mod-ability.

That leaves earrings and wig for us to complete the basics. Sandstorm robes when we can swing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: