Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6024cd74e9bf7f85f13ce139d8e230a2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP III: ROTS Padme costumes Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you all are amazing...

I saw some Sculpey molds on Creative Wholesale. I was thinking that for my first attempt at these, I may try to keep it simple and do a simple set of leaves at either end with a 5 or 6-petal flower in the middle, just to get the dimensions and shape close; bake and set. Then glue them to bar pins so they'd be attachable. Sound doable...?

I still need to finish hand-painting the silk velvet burnout for the skirt. I started it during my partial bedrest days and painted crooked! So now I'm working on a workaround, but am very happy so far with the way the color seems to be turning out.

I also wanted to ask about trying the bleaching for the scroll pattern on the tabbard and shoulder cloak; would you use a gel bleach? Or? And how do you keep it from bleaching the other areas when you rinse it off?
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes Smile I forgot to mention you can get push molds for polymer clays Smile I have also made a mold of a doll I sculpted than pressed more clay into it to make another doll. Plaster will work for this and so long as you use a clay that is soft enough (all the Sculpys and Cernit) you'll be fine Smile

As for bleach, it does eventually degrade down when left for long enough. So long as you really give it a good rinse and wash it will be fine. Diluted bleach doesn't work so quickly as bleach applied directly also Smile So you have some working/washing time.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleach won't work...did a test run and it left the fabric orange!

I'm down to detail work and stenciling, now...
http://gentlebant.com/images/costumes/ROTSprelimpic2.jpg

The collar is giving me fits - I've got the shape I want, but it flops around as attached to the dress. It also wants to end up leaning to one side or the other. I sewed in a wire to hold the shape and used super heavy-duty interfacing, so the shape itself isn't a problem. It's the way it sits on my neck that isn't working.

On the plus side, this is the first time I think I've ever gotten sleeves right!

Going to start working with the scrolly-loop pattern tonight on the tabbard and capelet. After that, I need to sew on the buttons, and redo the collar so it works better. Then it's clean-up work on all the little stuff, getting the scarves and brooches correctly put in place (can't do that until the stenciling is done), etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried something plastic to shape it? I used plastic in my Wonder Woman belt and armbands for the shape. Maybe even buckram would be stiffer.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job so far!

I agree, some sort of plastic sheeting could be used to stiffen up the collar. I used some for my catwoman ears and mask and it worked beautifully.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an interfacing that's supposed to be as stiff as buckram (at least from what I researched). I also used very heavy gauge wire around the edge. And, actually, the collar looks great by itself, but I can't seem to attach it in a way that it will stay tilted "up" and not to either side or the back. Crying or Very sad
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:

I just had a look at some photos on Maggies site and I'm sure the patterns are fabric paint. The pile of the fabric is quite open and so when the paint goes on it makes the pile rather spikey and that's what I see. I have painted on velvet before and this is the effect you get. Bleach would give a much more blurred edge, if it worked, anyway and I think resist dyeing would leave yet another kind of edge.
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/senate/dag2.jpg
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/senate/dag3.jpg
http://www.padawansguide.com/anarien/p2.jpg

I suspect a stamp was used rather than brush or stencil. If it was a stencil then stippling would be the way to go.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
GentleBant wrote:

I just had a look at some photos on Maggies site and I'm sure the patterns are fabric paint. The pile of the fabric is quite open and so when the paint goes on it makes the pile rather spikey and that's what I see. I have painted on velvet before and this is the effect you get. Bleach would give a much more blurred edge, if it worked, anyway and I think resist dyeing would leave yet another kind of edge.
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/senate/dag2.jpg
http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/senate/dag3.jpg
http://www.padawansguide.com/anarien/p2.jpg

I suspect a stamp was used rather than brush or stencil. If it was a stencil then stippling would be the way to go.

Interesting...I hadn't thought a stamp would work on velvet in this way. Do you have any experience with that?
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
Interesting...I hadn't thought a stamp would work on velvet in this way. Do you have any experience with that?

If you have samples I suggest testing some samples first... take a stamp of the shape you want (make your own, if you can out of rubber stamp blanks, a reverse of the image you want). Lay this face-up on an ironing board. Place your velvet pile-down on top of your stamp. Place a press cloth over the velvet back (washcloth or fold of muslin). The exact time escapes me and whether to use steam, but press an iron over it for about 10 seconds and voila, you've just embossed velvet Smile This'll leave it a flatter surface for your paint

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it looked like fabric paint to me too. And I agree with Vera about the testing...and you could use a stamp to do that pattern.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, embossing I think I understand...I thought there might be some magical way to somehow just stamp the pattern! :~) Would you emboss first, then hand paint it?
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as embossing will flatten it to prep it for the paint. That particular design I've never been sure if it was just embossed or both. I'm sure you'll make it look good either way Smile

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you don't emboss it first, the pile could shift around once it's painted and your design would shift with it. Once it's embossed, it should lay down instead of shift.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be swinging by Michael's tomorrow while 2/3 of my kids are at school. :~) Should I return the stenciling stuff, in your opinions, and just go with a homemade stamp and some fabric paint?
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go the stamp route. With the stencil, you might end up with the paint bleeding out under the stencil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: