Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=47886e193eea1a107fd00079e5479787Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP III: ROTS Padme costumes Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that design is similar in color to the pleated scarf(aka a reddish purplish magenta). Like most of her stuff, the same color with different variations Amadalia

As for the headpiece, http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/senate/crop5.jpg
from that pic, you could have a barrette clip or jaw clip attached and make sure you cover the back with a piece of fake hair as it "appears" to attach that way but we all know how deceiving looks can be when it comes to Padme costumes Wink

I am looking forward to yours as well, always good to have a real 'baby' prop as well. Congrats Amadalia
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it looks like the scroll work design might almost be drawn on with a bleach pen...?

Congrats on the baby, when are you due? I'm working on two pregger Padme costumes to go with my June 28th baby bump. Smile (aqua georgette and sleeveless mustafar).

Someone had asked about hair for the sleeveless Mustafar costume. I bought some hair extensions from Sally Beauty but they didn't have the right color to match my hair (without spending close to $60! Shocked ) I found a place on eBay that sells nice long wigs under $35. I'm going to go that way and just do the wig hair in the braid and figure 8 buns instead of trying to attach separate braid/figure 8 buns to my hair.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't thought of the bleach pen!

My baby bump is due to make his appearance on the outside May 16, but my first two didn't end up making to the due date, so we'll see.

:~)

Congrats on your June 28th!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was 4 days late, my second was right on her due date, I'm hoping that doesn't mean this little guy will be early, because then he'd probably be born on his sister's birthday (June 25th).

I'm still feverishly embroidering my aqua georgette by hand, but I'm getting closer to being done. Then I'll start the sleeveless Mustafar costume. I already have the fabric & boots and I have a nice long brown wig coming from eBay. Smile
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
I always thought that design is similar in color to the pleated scarf(aka a reddish purplish magenta). Like most of her stuff, the same color with different variations Amadalia

As for the headpiece, http://www.padawansguide.com/padme3/senate/crop5.jpg
from that pic, you could have a barrette clip or jaw clip attached and make sure you cover the back with a piece of fake hair as it "appears" to attach that way but we all know how deceiving looks can be when it comes to Padme costumes Wink

I am looking forward to yours as well, always good to have a real 'baby' prop as well. Congrats Amadalia

New musing...
Looking here: http://www.padawansguide.com/anarien/p2.jpg, ( and a couple of other pics, same set) it sort of looks like the scrollwork on the tabard is a different color than that on the shoulder-cloak.

What do you think?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing the pics, I think it could be the lighting and/or flash in those pics. See here: http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Padme%20Costumes/ROTS%20Purple%20Senate%20Gown/p5.jpg

The scrollwork looks the same color as on the shoulder as the main front part IMO. This could be embroidery(but the fading on the closest shoulder in that pic makes me think paint) but I am still not convinced(and I really think you could get away with fabric paint if it is done in the right way Wink ).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely a convert on the embroidery issue...it looks screened/painted/dyed on.

I'm still wondering about the color, though...in some pics, it looks like lighting to me, in others, I'm not so sure. I'm also wondering if the direction of the pile could have something to do with it, as far as reflecting light to give a different look, etc.

I'm off work beginning in March, so I plan on doing a lot more work on this then!
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While browsing the floor at M&J during lunch I came across this applique that could work beautifully for the brooch on the Steel Blue Nightgown. I know it isn't exact, but those who aren't so skilled with wire/sculpy/foam, this would be a great alternative and is only $6! Just sew it onto a backing of the same fabric of the gown, add the pearls to the two bottom loops and two top most loops, and you have a decent version of the brooch Smile

If you want one, please call 212-704-8077 mention you saw it listed on the Rebel Legion. Sorry, shipping within the US only. US Mail is $3.50 and takes 7-12 business days, UPS Ground would be $6.45 and is 1-6 business day depending on where you are.

Image is near to exact size of the item (at least on my screen).

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is that in the hi res photo it looks as though it was created with a discharge method of dyeing, where a chemical is painted onto the fabric that removes or lightens the color. The bleach pen is a really good solution, especially with the level of control it would give you. Just keep something on hand to neutralize the bleach before it takes all of the color out. I would stay away from Thiox or other discharge chemicals, as they are very strong and not particularly safe.

this method would also explain the apparent variation in color, as it gives you that naturally just like dyeing something by hand would.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go with the bleach pen method, be sure to test it out on scraps of the velvet before going at it with your costume, just to be sure it works first and then to get the technique down.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions on the pins/brooches for the final Senate appearance gown? I believe that some of you may have done the family/AOTC deleted scenes costume with the similarly patterned pin.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same as the Family gown only are light purple as the AOTC ones were light blue. Kaydee did them and used Sintra I believe but Sculpy might work too unless you had someone to cast them in resin from a clay model.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how to begin on casting a resin model...I researched the Sculpey last night, tho. Looks like I'd have to make 6 identical. I'm leaning toward silver...

I saw Kay-Dee's work on her webpage...amazing!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can even get resin clay...it molds like Sculpey but is hard like resin.
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently experimenting with resin casting Smile I'm making some brooches for a Reinette dress (Girl in the Fireplace, Dr Who) and some skulls for a Mystique costume. Both of them require multiple copies (three brooches and possibly 20 odd skulls!)

I'm doing both from plasticine and then molding in silicon and casting in a rigid urethane probably. I am just debating on the latter in terms of ease of paintability.

After that I'm looking at redoing my light blue Tatooine headpiece the same way Smile And maybe a Mara blaster and.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: