About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0554a0ebd6710a0dc77e534161f9e272Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip for doing the hems is to sew up your two side seams on each layer and then hang the 2 layers on a hanger the way you want them to be (i.e. with one layer inside the other, wrong sides together). Then fold in your hem (both layers towards one another) and pin it. Do this for a few inches along the hem. Then reach into the keyhole opening between the 2 layers (you want to reach into the area where the wrong sides face one another). Reach down to your pinned area of the hem and pull it through. The pins will be on the opposite side of the fabric, but you can easily see the 2 wrong edges and how they should line up. Now you can re-pin all along the hem and run it through the machine.

The trick is getting your head around which is the right side and the wrong side, since you're making two dresses, one inside-out. But basically you want all your seams to be between the two layers of the dress.

Here are some photos of a dress I made for a friend of mine.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, that's a good description of how to sew the two layers together. Fantastic job on the dress! Cool

uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I found two different pair of boots and was wondering about which ones would be appropriate, if either of them. Here they are:

A:http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Oh-Deer-Womens-Ice-Princess-Boots/3170843/product.html

B:http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Matiko-Womens-CinCin-Tall-White-Patent-Boots/3545530/product.html?sec_iid=33969

A looks more appropriate, but there's a seam on the top of the boot I'm not sure about.

Thanks for all the help guys!

LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the problem with both of them is that they are too shiny. The boots need to be of a matte leather or faux leather.

I would try Ebay - they often have the old white vintage slouch boots which are a good basic silhouette for the costume. The selection might be a bit more limited because it's summer, but when you get closer to the fall, more boots start coming back out on the market.

Costume Portfolio
leiasolosinger (Teresa Jackson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to understand what the problem would be with uberjedi's option B. They do not look particularly shiny to me. They look smooth and do catch the light a little.

Also, the standards say you may not have shiny vinyl. Does not say anything in particular about leather:

White leather or non-shiny vinyl flat or low (1/4" to 1 1/2" in height) soled boots without laces or logos. [/u]
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it may be difficult to tell from the picture, the website calls the boots "Matiko Women's 'CinCin' Tall White Patent Boots" (patent in the context of footwear = glossy or shiny) and one of the seller's description points is "Boots feature a high shaft and high gloss patent finish".

If the standard allowed for 'shiny' leather, i.e. patent leather, this description would have been included in the wording.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the recent popularity of patent(aka high gloss, shiny, etc) low heeled white boots, the standard reflects the fact that Leia's boots were not shiny or patent leather. There are many options out there for white low heeled non shiny leather or vinyl boots including eBay.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those asking about what to wear under the outfit,, and for those with larger chests that need to wear the support.....
I have worn a pair of white leggings with a long or 3/4 sleeve white t, which allows me to wear a regular bra. I then pushed the sleeves up to almost the elbow, which allows the lower arms to be seen in photos but doesn't show any bunching since the costume sleeves are so wide. So only the leg area would show some white as what was shown in the pictures someone submitted. Or else for the legs I wear a Control Top type pantyhose which has the panty section added. This allows a seamless or pantie-less view and has the leg section visible by the boot area. Then connection between the top and leggings is covered by the belt and blousing of the dress. However, wearing a T would also show white or fill in the keyhole area in back if the hood is down. But this was most helpful especially during colder months, as this outfit is not one for warmth! As for boots, I actually found mine at a swap meet/flea market for about $15.00! However, when I went back to get an extra pair, they were all out and I haven't seen them sell them since! Bummer! But doing a Google search for flat heel white boots helps, or also do a search for the same thing on Amazon.com too.

I have to make myself a fourth version of this. My first was......well way back "A long, long time ago" when the movie first came out. Still have that dress! The second one was the closest to the right fabric I made. However I let someone borrow the costume one year for Halloween and it came back minus the hood. Granted that hood was one attached by four hand tacking areas instead of sewn into the collar. But since the person could find the hood and didn't know what happened to it, it remains hoodless. Finding the same type of material for that one to replace the hood, is still in progress. My last version, which I have now, I don't like the fabric as much since it is a little heavier than I prefer. I also don't like the way the neck and hood turned out, since I just used the pattern without modifying it (which by the way the same person misplaced my original pattern she borrowed as well! So I had to use the newer version of the pattern that I didn't like). Hood is way too small compared to what it should be and neck is a little too tall for leaving it stand up and too small to fold it over. So my 4th version I plan to work on making it exact. But I am not rushing in getting done right now as other projects are currently on the plate ahead of it.

Karen Katich
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitfox wrote:
For those asking about what to wear under the outfit,, and for those with larger chests that need to wear the support.....
I have worn a pair of white leggings with a long or 3/4 sleeve white t, which allows me to wear a regular bra. I then pushed the sleeves up to almost the elbow, which allows the lower arms to be seen in photos but doesn't show any bunching since the costume sleeves are so wide. So only the leg area would show some white as what was shown in the pictures someone submitted. Or else for the legs I wear a Control Top type pantyhose which has the panty section added. This allows a seamless or pantie-less view and has the leg section visible by the boot area. Then connection between the top and leggings is covered by the belt and blousing of the dress...

I tend not to wear too much underneath during the summer months, I've got a pair of stick on backless bra things that work well as I don't have too much on top....if your small nude pasties would work as well...

as for the winter months....white thermal underwear, white scarf, white gloves...at the point where your wearing thermal underwear people don't care if your showing a little underwear at the knee...there just amazed that your out there anyway

I did a Salvation Army bell ringing troop were we were out on the street and it was COOOLLLLLDDDDDD I still froze but I used a biker scout as a wind break....

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear the pasties myself, they work for me because I'm small up top. As for in winter I have white leggings and I'm getting a white underarmour top that I'll pull up the sleeves a bit on so they don't show... hopefully that'll keep me warm! Very Happy

Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the arms get cold when you do that, but otherwise it helps a bunch! that's why I got white winter gloves and a white fleece scarf. no need getting sick trying to raise money for needy people

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O i checked my leia belt and i only have 5 belt alluminum circlle (stud) thing's where can i find those?? and im also on a budget... and also is there a place where i can allmincum octogan things???
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question (because I'm tired and not thinking straight, or spelling apparently): How much fabric am I going to need to do a self-lined dress? I'm 5'3" (total shrimp, what can I say?). Also, when sewing the dress together, would a french seam or serger give me better results if I'm working with the JetSet stuff? I found it back on the Joann's website, so I'm ready to give this a try.

And the buns, oh dear. Although I have an idea about those. I'm totally brain farting and can't remember the name of the stuff, but there's this clear plastic mesh-type stuff that's used in crafts. I was thinking of making a half-ring out of it, sewing the bun to it, and then putting the bobby pins/clips through the mesh to anchor it in my hair above the ear. If I do it right, I'll be able to keep the mesh-stuff invisible when the bun is in place. I'd probably use Kay-Dee's idea for the start of the extension (the drawstring bit) to initially get it in place, then just pin the whole thing on. What do you think? Worth the effort or am I just making too much work for myself that way?
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serger Smile If you french seam you'll wind up with a lot of bulk as the dress is bag lined Smile Serge each layer then follow the instructions at the top here.
I would recommend a heavy wide fabric mesh actually. Cut into circles and serge that (or overlock for us non USAians) and then sew your wefts/buns. It'll be more maleable to your head shape and will not rip your hair as you take the pieces off your head Wink You can also do the drawstring/elasticated edge if you make the circles a little larger and are careful with sewing the buns.
JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm a sewing noob and someone had mentioned french-seaming as an alternative to serging, but I thought I'd double check. And thanks for the feedback on the buns as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: