Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d11ba3d4049988ee37408a7ed0c25432Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tia-Linn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the snaps! It's easy to get in and out of, and the hood covers the snaps. But, I used snaps with pearlized tops just so it looks nice.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy duty snaps are the best way to keep the belt on. Both my classic and ceremonial belts have snaps which keep the belt very secure and over the snaps, each has a plate.

In regards to the standards, there is no rule stating that there has to be 4 snaps or a plate - either are optional but certainly any fastening should look clean. Therefore, in terms of preference I would think that if you decide to use a fastener other than snaps, that's fine as long as there's a plate to cover the back to maintain a clean look; otherwise I'd stick with the 4 snaps if there's no plate to keep it like the ESB version. Smile

Costume Portfolio
JaylinDakaal ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go with a plate I'll likely do it similar to how I made my Mara Jade belt, with a small difference. I'd want to secure it using velcro rather than a regular belt buckle blank. So I'd probably have the plate half on/half off of the strip, velcro on the bottom side, and that way there wouldn't be a gap where it joins because the metal is on a different layer... it would kind of overlap a bit.

Perhaps I just haven't been working the right tools, but I never can seem to get snaps to actually work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lavagrrrl (Susie Leopold)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using the interlock or jet set, be careful with velcro. It will snag and pill if caught in the velcro. Smile
www.BlastyLava.com
JaylinDakaal ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh, that is a good point that I hadn't considered.... I had some minor issues with my Snowbunny gloves doing that on my holster, but I got enough of this vinyl material I'm planning to use with Leia to remake that too. I still can't decide if I want to do the version of the belt that has the stitching on it or not...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first belt (I'm working on my second right now) is held together with some really strong velcro. Since I didn't use leather but two layers of a fake leather I could hide the stitches on the inner layer, so that they are invisible. For the first belt I didn't do the extra metal plate, I had planned on using snaps but simply ran out of time for that. Since the velcro worked so well I'm thinking about doing the plate in the back though on the next belt..
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two little questions.

First, could anyone give me a little run down on the rolled hem stitch? I've been having trouble converting directions to the actual look.

Second, is it better to sew the rolled hem on before attaching the hood or after?
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you're looking for how to do the rolled hem by hand, but I found this tutorial online: http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog/tutorials-tips-tricks/tutorial-how-to-create-a-hand-rolled-hem

What I'm probably going to do is just turn under as little of the fabric as possible and then sew it, I won't bother cutting off any extra fabric, that seems like a waste of time to me...

I'd say it'd be better to sew the hem before attaching the hood...but I haven't actually done my Leia ANH yet.

LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to describe the rolled hem is to turn the raw edge under about 1/4" or less, then turn it under again, using a hand hem stitch or slipstitch to tack it closed to sew it closed.

And I would definitely hem the hood before attaching it to the collar, no doubt there. Smile

Costume Portfolio
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, hemming first, but you can totally just fold it twice and machine hem it, unless you want to take the time to hand sew it, that's totally up to you.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
lavagrrrl (Susie Leopold)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the right attachment, machine rolling the hem is quite easy! The presser foot has a little tube-like thing attached to it that curls the fabric around twice and stitches it immediately after it has been turned. It is A LOT faster and easier (for me, anyway) than hand sewing it. Try it out on scrap material first, though, it takes a bit of time to get used to loading the fabric correctly.

Yes, do the hem before attaching it to the dress.

Rolled Hem Foot
Used for rolled edges on scarves, handkerchiefs and linens made from delicate fabrics. (Also called a "Narrow Hem" or "Hemmer" foot.)
http://whipstitchlounge.blogspot.com/2009/01/tutorial-rolled-hem-presser-foot.html
www.BlastyLava.com
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie, that rolled hem foot is awesome! I'll have to see if I can find one for my machine, it would come in very handy.

Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE my rolled hem foot! I do find it does take a little patience and practice on different matirials. Chiffon I often have to run through twice to avoid small fray pcs from showing, takes a little longer, but looks so much more professional Smile

Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolled hem foot, baby hem foot are great item to have for you sewing machine. I was never able to fully get the hang of using one on an industrial sewing machine, but the one I have for my Viking D1 works like a charm. I have done baby hem on silk chiffon and had it come out great.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those would have come in VERY handy for my Padme aqua georgette gown. Why do I always think of things after the fact?! Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: