About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f3e0a07f06eb3a4aefc7c1761311215Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use lengths of synthetic hair and attach it into my ponytail and wrap it all up. It sometimes takes me a few tries to get them both to match, but it works well. I buy the hair at Sally Beauty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I haven't created Leia hair buns (yet) but I've seen civil war re-enactor hair pieces that were made over a buckram "bowl" of sorts. The wig hair is coiled around the buckram permanently and then you place the whole thing over your existing hair which is pulled into a ponytail and pin it in place. For the Leia buns, you could do a similar thing. Part your hair down the middle and put it into 2 ponytails, one on each side, just above your ear. You could purchase wig hair and coil it around some buckram, tacking it down so it wouldn't come off.

I'm not sure if that helps, but it's and idea. Leia Buns

thank you for reminding me about that! and it's a great idea. I had found some hair pieces that were built like that but none were quite right. I was trying to think of how to do something like that actually and I knew there was a way to do it but I couldn't for the life of me remember how it was done.

On another note I'm almost done with my ANH dress, although it ended up looking more like the RoTJ dress *shruggs* I've been copying the pictures from the exhibit that are on padawan's guide...I just need to steal my mom's dress makers mannequin for a while to get the hood to lay right...but it's surprisingly much easier than I had initially thought it would have been. and a side note I lucked out on the fabric...walmart $2 a yard table Very Happy for a lovely lightweight jersey knit.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Darkstrider ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found good Leia fabric at Wal-Mart? Thanks, that's great to know! Smile My current Leia dress is a lightweight polyester knit, but I'm not happy with it, and am planning to make another one. I'll check out my local Wal-Mart right away!

I don't know if this will help, but for my own Leia hair I do something similar to what Rachel and Beth suggested--part my own hair in the middle and make two pony tails to start, but instead of using pre-formed buckram shapes, I take hair extensions (from our favorite beauty supply store, Sally's!), wrap them in with my own pony tails, and then twist the whole thing together in a coil and pin them up. My own hair is really long, though, so it goes together fairly well (although it can take me a few tries to get it right!)--it would probably work well even with a shorter pony tail. But I have to admit, I think it would be MUCH easier to have a pre-made bun that you can just pin on! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkstrider wrote:
I don't know if this will help, but for my own Leia hair I do something similar to what Rachel and Beth suggested--part my own hair in the middle and make two pony tails to start, but instead of using pre-formed buckram shapes, I take hair extensions (from our favorite beauty supply store, Sally's!), wrap them in with my own pony tails, and then twist the whole thing together in a coil and pin them up. My own hair is really long, though, so it goes together fairly well (although it can take me a few tries to get it right!)--it would probably work well even with a shorter pony tail. But I have to admit, I think it would be MUCH easier to have a pre-made bun that you can just pin on! Laughing

I do the same as Cher here Wink But I have to admit, it takes what seems like a million bobby pins to hold it together! Laughing Leia Buns

Darkstrider ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is the truth! I'm always afraid I might set off a metal detector with those things! Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkstrider wrote:
THAT is the truth! I'm always afraid I might set off a metal detector with those things! Laughing Laughing

Me too! ROTF

The Vespa Squad strikes again, Cher! Wink

Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your working with long hair, you MUST use the extra long bobby pins and U pins. They hold the hair so much better.
I use them for my various historic hair styles and I can spend the evening in fairly energetic dancing and not have the hair come undone. I also use a hair net in my long hair styles when possible.

When I do EU Darkside Leia I use pre made bun/hair covers that cover my own ponytails that are twisted into small buns. But I have to get a new pair of buns with more depth to the "bowl" of the cover, my own hair has gotten too long to fit inside the bun cover. With Darkside costume, I just picked a bun cover that had nice shape, since I didn't have to match the cinabuns exactly.

Last edited by Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd) on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Darkstrider ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do swear by the large U pins, as well as the larger-size bobby pins. That seems to do the trick nicely.

(And Lori--Vespa squad RULES! Cool )

Here's a quick question I have for everyone here--hair nets or no hair nets on the cinnabuns? I've seen it done both ways, and was wondering what the general consensus was.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worn hairnets when I march in City parades, with all that marching around for miles. Its the only way I feel safe that my bunns are not going to come undone. Otherwise, I tend to not use them.

Last edited by Princess Leia Organa (Lori) on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the really fine hairnets to keep the fly-aways at bay. Since you can see them in some publicity shots I decided to try it and will never go without again. You can't even see the nets unless you get really close to the buns (like a few inches away). Just make sure the nets match the hair color as close as possible.
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nets all the way....I don't ever do any updos without them.....well...enless it's supposed to be curly...

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Darkstrider ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know--thanks, everyone! I've never used hairnets before, but I think I'm going to try it next time and see how it works out. I ALWAYS have problems with fly-aways, and the nets would definitely take care of that. Smile
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherlyn is not allowed to post anymore until you sign up for the detachment in the Rebel Briefing thread Razz Laughing

And here you go for the link: http://rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10062
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! OK! I'll do that right now. Leia Buns
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Side note: I applied for the Galactic Senate...when will I know if I'm approved??)

If you make permanent hair buns over buckram, you wouldn't have to worry as much about the hair coming undone. Can you use hairspray on synthetic hair extensions? I've never tried it before. If you could use hairspray, you could "shellac" the buns and keep the fly-aways at bay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: