About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f619113daa8425a967a28600f5de70fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A Reply with quote

If the costume does not have a dedicated thread, please post all questions about the costumes (in the topic title above) here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by PrincessLeia92 on 02 February 2004

I'm starting to create my ANH Leia outfit (you know the first one we see of her) and I was wondering were are good (reliable) places where I might be able to get her boots (or at least semi tall white ones)?

Quote: Originally posted by StormtrooperPrincess on 05 March 2004

http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/shoes/gogobootzwhite.html

Quote: Originally posted by lavagrrrl on 18 January 2007

JedHead brought these to the attention of the force.net's Leia costuming fanatics:

http://motorcowboy.zoovy.com/c=MGPhuQx8gt7NE71kwNdB1VRwK/product/STAR6

Anyone have an extra $450 lying around?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lavagrrrl (Susie Leopold)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: EP IV: ANH Leia costumes Q&A Reply with quote

Just a suggestion, Leia has two costumes in A New Hope, so the title is a bit confusing.

Thanks.

Oh, and most info on this costume can be found on this thread at The Force.Net's Costuming & Props section: http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/8104135/

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Making the first ANH dress for a pre-teen Reply with quote

I'm making the first ANH dress for a friend's daughter. She really wants a nice one and one that she can keep for a long time but as she is 10/11 ish (I can't remember when her b-day is) she will still be growing for a while. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can make it work well for her now and be "adjustable" so it will still fit in a few years when she is much bigger? I had thought about hiding invisible snaps inside so she can easily lower the "hem" as she gets taller but I'm not sure what to do about the waist length or sleeves or if this is even reasonably possible to do.
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual age for girls to stop growing is 13-14(superfluous info as I am a pediatric nurse). Looking at her mom is good way to tell how tall she will be(esp if she has the same build). I would say you could even fit the dress to her mom and then see how far off you would be.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just leave a little extra hem allowance when making the dress. When she gets taller, just let the hem out a bit. Do the same with the sleeves (though you can easily get away with the sleeves being a little long or a little short).

Check out StormtrooperPrincess' tutorial for the dress, she has an easy and accurate method for making this costume: http://leiacostuming.stormtrooperprincess.com/anhrobe/version2.html
www.BlastyLava.com
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that will be much easier than what I had planned!
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help everyone - her dad reported to me that she tried it on as soon as he got it home and didn't take it off for the rest of the day!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padme of Hidden Lake wrote:
Thanks for all your help everyone - her dad reported to me that she tried it on as soon as he got it home and didn't take it off for the rest of the day!

Awww, how sweet Smile When you get a chance, we'd love to see some pics pics

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures - no problem. She came by Trick or treating on Halloween and stopped in for pictures and to get her extra special rebel Halloween treat
Here they are:
[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1623016&id=523590410[/img]
[img]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1623017&id=523590410[/img]
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what kind of material the original costume was made out of? It looks like silk the way the hood hangs over her buns (hair) as well as the way it seems to hang and move on her frame. I just want to make sure, though.
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of material the original costume was made out of? It looks like silk the way the hood hangs over her buns (hair) as well as the way it seems to hang and move on her frame. I just want to make sure, though.

There are a few versions of this hooded costume. Many of us who have studied it in disgusting detail agree that the version on display at the Magic of Myth and WSMI exhibits is actually the version from the end of Empire Strikes Back! (Belt construction is like Empire, the drape and sleeve width is more like Empire).

The version used in Empire is just a plain old polyester-looking knit. Some use interlock knit ("Jet Set" at Joann's)

There is no documentation any of us can find on the fabric used in ANH. Some speculate it could have been Quiana - which was a silky nylon fabric produced in the 70s and really can't be purchased anymore as it is no longer produced. Carrie Fisher told a friend of mine who felt her Jet-Set interlock that she remembers the dress being much softer. My best guess for substitutes could be a matte silk as you mentioned (not shiny like charmeuse), or a matte nylon/lycra lingerie fabric with a silky look to it.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! If I can dig up a good fabric at Jo-Ann's, I'll post it for others to know!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone who's done Leia ANH have any suggestions for good hair pieces? I'm looking at clip on pony tails to style myself or something like that. I would also like to know what others have done and how they worked out.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't created Leia hair buns (yet) but I've seen civil war re-enactor hair pieces that were made over a buckram "bowl" of sorts. The wig hair is coiled around the buckram permanently and then you place the whole thing over your existing hair which is pulled into a ponytail and pin it in place. For the Leia buns, you could do a similar thing. Part your hair down the middle and put it into 2 ponytails, one on each side, just above your ear. You could purchase wig hair and coil it around some buckram, tacking it down so it wouldn't come off.

I'm not sure if that helps, but it's and idea. Leia Buns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: