Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=232a77354c29869fc8a19954c369af99Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Galacticat's ANH Leia (Completed and approved!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galacticat (Meg Cruzen)
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Galacticat's ANH Leia (Completed and approved!) Reply with quote

There are probably a billion of these threads, but since this is my very first Star Wars costume (which is terrible of me) and I hope to be joining you guys this year, I figured I ought to do a WIP thread. Smile

The original plan was to have this made last.. October? I thought it would take me a couple weeks. I mean, it looks so easy! Yeah... nope. In theory it's not so bad, but I've run into a lot of problems with it, and had to take a break.

The Gown
The jetset poly I got from JoAnn (like 2 years ago) frays like crazy and has been a total pain to work with. I hate it! Figuring out how to do all the hems with the machine was frustrating, but after some trial and error, I figured it out. The dress is DONE, but because of the flaws in the fabric, and the sleeves ending up a bit shorter than I'd like, I'm already planning on completely remaking it. I've got more jetset, but if anyone has another fabric suggestion, I'd love to hear it!

The Belt
I had just enough of a leather hide to make the belt. The metal bits were easy enough to make, but then we ran into problems with painting them, and I had to completely remake them. Super annoying. I'm happy with the belt, EXCEPT - now the leather paint is coming off! Argh! I used Meltonian Nu-life, but I guess the leather is just too rigid. So, I need to remake the belt. :\ At least the metals bits will still be usable.

Boots
Fortunately, the Nu-life works great on my boots! However, I'd prefer non-slouchy boots, but I've had trouble finding anything I like. Looking through a few other threads, I believe these should be acceptable - what would you say?

Blaster
We 3D printed the blaster, had it all cleaned up and ready for its first coat of paint - and then I hit it against something and it broke into a bajillion pieces. Aggggh! Honestly, I had a feeling this might happen because it seemed too fragile. At least it did so before it was 100% completed. My boyfriend is reinforcing it with pegs and using better glue this time.

Sad

Hair
It's silly but the absolute worst part of this costume for me is the wig. I can't style hair or wigs for the life of me. I originally ordered a short wig and two ponytail clips from Arda, then decided I didn't like the base because of no center part in the back, and ordered their "Leia" style instead. The "Leia" is super heavy and cumbersome, so I've had some friends suggest cutting off the ponytails and using the ponytail clips instead. Yeah... I'm a little scared of that, haha. Although I am determined to finish the wig, I am very likely going back to brunette soon (for Rey, actually) so I'll probably end up finding matching hair pieces.

Here's one of the only pics of me in the dress that I can find on my phone. Please ignore that "bun" - I was just playing around with the wig to get an idea of how it would look.

I'll see if I can get a full-body photo posted in the next few days (assuming the belt will fit - put on a bit of weight the last couple months...). I'd really love any feedback before I start remaking things!

Last edited by galacticat (Meg Cruzen) on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI regarding leather coloring:

http://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/eco-flo-cova-color

I have better luck with Fiebing's leather dye as oppose to the eco-flo. However, white being an opaque, dense, color application, it doesn't seep into the dye as permanently as the Feiblings (only in darker colors). You have to rough up preconditioned leather to allow for the dye to actually permeate the leather. Store bought anything is coated for that shine you see on them.

But if you ever decide to rework your belt, I'd use the eco-flo. I've utilized both types with a Zam Wesell build, and Tandy Leather has yet to let me down with their products.
galacticat (Meg Cruzen)
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
I have better luck with Fiebing's leather dye as oppose to the eco-flo. However, white being an opaque, dense, color application, it doesn't seep into the dye as permanently as the Feiblings (only in darker colors). You have to rough up preconditioned leather to allow for the dye to actually permeate the leather. Store bought anything is coated for that shine you see on them.

But if you ever decide to rework your belt, I'd use the eco-flo. I've utilized both types with a Zam Wesell build, and Tandy Leather has yet to let me down with their products.

Yeah, I figured it'd probably be better to use a dye, but I wasn't sure how well white would take. Since Eco-flo is an acrylic paint, I wonder if it would work any better than Angelus, which I already have. (I would've gone that route to begin with, but having tried it in the past on the shoes, it took a million coats, and so I went the quick, easy route with Nu-life instead - which I guess was a mistake.)

What I was really hoping to find was pre-dyed/painted leather, so I don't have to deal with it myself. Razz
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look into Tandy Leather's website for a white leather. The only true white leather I've seen is deer, and that isn't at all what you want, I know.

I've used the eco white alone and mixed in with a pink color to make baby pink for my daughter's archery arm guard. Sure, it might take a couple of coats, but I think it worked pretty well. The white is pretty opaque, thick on it's own.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start on the wip. Smile We love wips.

I can't see the boots image, so sadly can't offer any feedback on that.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

galacticat (Meg Cruzen)
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I can't see the boots image, so sadly can't offer any feedback on that.

Oops! Not sure what happened there. I've re-uploaded the image, and fixed it in the original post, but here they are again:

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they should be alright. Smile Of course, non slouching would be better, but it can be hard to find the right boots.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

PatchworkPirate (Courtney Hudgens)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find non-slouchy ones let us know. I know a lot of us use those same boots!

As for the wig, I just redid my Arda Leia wig (again), so it's a bit more fresh in my memory this time. I put a section of hair in the middle into a low ponytail, then twisted the rest around as I added hair. I pinned as I went with regular bobby pins and tucked the last bit of the hair behind the bun. I also used hair nets to cover the buns and a LOT of hair spray. So far it's held up for a few troops, though I'm probably going to redo it again because as I mentioned to you in messages, that wig hates staying in buns. That and I'm not exactly careful with wigs when I remove them.

As for the bangs this time, I left them out and I just tuck them behind my ears (and buns) while wearing it for troops. It is a lot easier than trying to put them with the rest of the hair into the buns.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't the upper seam be taken out and pull out the slouch? I'm just guessing here, but if that was done, the the inner side would need a piece of material sewn ti the leather (out and inner), ultimately making it a bit taller, but no slouch.

Just a harebrained theory from me, as I've never tried it. But it sounds like it could work....
galacticat (Meg Cruzen)
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Courtney! That should definitely help.

silvermitt wrote:
Couldn't the upper seam be taken out and pull out the slouch? I'm just guessing here, but if that was done, the the inner side would need a piece of material sewn ti the leather (out and inner), ultimately making it a bit taller, but no slouch.

I suppose this could work, but honestly, it seems like too much of a hassle. I've already painted these boots white (from a light grey) and had to rip off some straps. They were originally intended for April O'Neil, but after ordering two other pairs to try for Leia, these were by far the best quality, so I took off the straps. I'll keep my eyes open for a better option, but in the meantime, it's good to know these should work fine.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! No one ever accused me of doing things the easy way.... Smile
FoxhoundTCF (Ashley Tyler)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far Meg
PatchworkPirate (Courtney Hudgens)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side with the zipper on the slouchy boots is actually shorter than the outside. I noticed this the last time I wore them, so they're kinda weird and askew when tugged as far as possible.
galacticat (Meg Cruzen)
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new gown is finally done!

But I am apparently incompetent and can't style the wig. Neutral

I am so bad with styling my own hair, and wig fibers are even worse. And yes, I've looked at tutorials - I am just terrible at it. It's the last part I need to finish and it's killing me.
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!!!

Great job so far!

I am working on my ANH Leia as well. I did find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZQZ-YX9H4

I am going to try it this weekend. IDK how this would work with the wig....worth a go.

Also i looked EVERYWHERE for leather white boots. I ended up with the same ones you have. Glad they will work. I was worried.

Thanks for all you have posted!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: