Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=65e0c60ab5311503875bcad0b4914afeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Costume Submissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swift (Richard T. Kellogg)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: TFA Costume Submissions Reply with quote

I've had a few questions asked about TFA costumes and judging. Please see below from RL forums.

dbuck wrote:
How are new costume submissions that have no standards yet being handled?

I was notified a Poe Dameron costume being submitted by a brand new member. It looks like an etsy kit I have seen, a bit off but not bad, that's not the point yet.

I know you can't see it nor am I asking you to judge a costume, I'm asking in a general way for all TFA characters.

Assuming a costume looks okay for now, what are the odds that will this be accepted outright....
Accepted with the caveat that the standards may change....
Denied or placed on hold until the standards are implemented?

The big problem we have had with the TFA costumes has been the lack of clear references due to the pre-release secrecy imposed by LFL. Some costumes have had a reasonable amount of publicity (Rey's), some are only now starting to be more clearly shown (TFA X-Wing Pilots) and there are even some we know very little about even after the release of the film (TFA Luke).

Generally, even before a costume standard is formally signed off, there is usually enough reference material available for LCJs to judge costumes. As long as there is enough information (reference pictures) available for a movie costume for an LCJ to determine the key details that make up that costume, the LCJ can use their judgment to compare members' submitted costumes to see if the applicant's costume does in fact look like it does in the movie, and fit like it does in the movie. If LCJs can't know what details make up a costume (as not enough is shown on screen or anywhere else), they can't judge if an applicant's costume matches it or not.

For the main TFA costumes, here is the situation right know:

Rey's primary costume (not the one she wears at the end of the movie): LCJs have enough information to judge Rey costume applications. The process to create formal standards is about to begin. But if an applicant submits a Rey costume in the mean time, it will be judged.

TFA X-Wing Pilots (including pilot Poe) has proven to be a challenge. The costume is complicated and detailed, and was not very clear in any of the promo material compared to Rey's costume. Things have improved with the various books that have been published recently though. While TFA X-Wing pilot costume applications are currently on hold, I hope we will be able to start processing them very soon. When that happens, standards can then follow.

TFA Luke: There just isn't enough reference material for his costume for LCJs to compare applicant's costumes to. This is very frustrating for everyone involved, but we are stuck with the situation presented to us. I honestly can't say when we will be able to approve these costumes (it may need a combination of premium figures, the bluray release etc.).

Leia, Jacketed Poe, Finn, Han, Chewie and anyone else, we can take on a case by case basis.

I hope this clarifies the present situation. I'm just waiting for an update from the pilot LCJs, and when I get that, I'll be posting an updated version of this summary on the main boards were all members can see it.

Thanks.
Greg (LMO)

Last edited by Swift (Richard T. Kellogg) on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
LessThan12 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this. Thanks so much for the update, and clarification!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: