Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a2586e09dcc2da1b9d3dfb38710720c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dagobah Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: New Here Reply with quote

So this whole adventure started Christmas Eve when I decided to go ahead and buy a custom saber from Ultrasabers. The next morning I learned my grandfather had passed away. I originally moved down here from Vegas to look after him and last year helped move him to Vegas to live with my parents. Rather than get depressed or shut down after hearing he had passed I decided I wanted to go ahead and work on a full Jedi outfit since he'd always encouraged me to pursue my hobbies even if he didn't always get them.

I ordered a costume from SkyCosplay and then asked my dad to help me out in making a belt since I'm not a huge fan of pleather. I've picked up just about everything and we're working on the belt presently. I'm just going to link to the album I made of everything on my cosplay page off on Facebook. I Didn't initially plan to join here or anything and now realize that I may not be able to use the robe I'd ordered from Mystik Merchant. I went with their big sleeve version because I thought it'd look better on someone my height.

Here's a link to the album. I've got everything thus far compiled in there. Would appreciate comments on anything I'm doing wrong or right since I'm really new to this but pretty excited overall.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.945018872249277.1073741833.289985991085905&type=3
Deathmagnet (Jonathan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for your loss. I find that in difficult times it helps me to have a project to work on. Welcome to the forum. I am far from familiar with the Jedi costume requirements, but the new belt looks great. If you have not already, I would create a WIP (work in progress) thread in the Jedi section of the forum. Those guys will be able to guide you on your path, and do not hesitate to ask questions of them. A lot of the time, the Judges for the group are very active on the boards and can point you in the right direction. Also, look into the costume requirements. They will give you a good understanding of what is expected of your work for approval. Good luck with your build.
reela (Jeffrey Corbello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Black Tie.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I am not a Jedi expert. In fact, I don't even have one. So my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

As far as I can tell it all looks good. The belt is coming along nicely.

I am not sure about your boots. I don't know how the judges will feel about the pattern at the top. I would ask about that.

Here are the standards for a generic Jedi:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/about_standards2.php?id=39468

Keep posting your progress. If you have questions please ask. We are here to help.
Corsair (Steve Schwarer)

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your recent loss.

The pictures in your album look good. The sleeves on the robe look really wide but looks do-able per what I read of the standards. The "cowboy" heel on the boots I'm not sure about, but then I'm not a judge. Definitely start a build thread on the Jedi forum and let the judges comment on what you have so far. The fact that they will see and make comments on what you are putting together, will speed up your approval process when you finally send your finished costume pictures in for approval.
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the support. I can see already that this is gonna be a great community to belong to.

I made a WIP last night actually, since it was so highly suggested and beneficial.

The reason I actually picked the Preacher boot was because of a thread I saw where a costume judge mentioned it was what he wore. I checked his photos and it looked like he had an unmodded brown pair on in his photos. Fingers crossed there since boots in my size are a true pain to find.
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt is finished just in time for me to fly home from Vegas. I'm excited to get to try on my tunic and possibly robe once I get home. I'm hoping I get everything ordered in before the 9th since there's a con and It'd be a great place to debut everything especially with the local base having a table there.

http://imgur.com/a/Fwk9p
reela (Jeffrey Corbello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is coming along nicely.
Deathmagnet (Jonathan)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That belt turned out great! This truly is a great community and a very rewarding hobby. Keep up the good work, and you will be approved in no time.
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm really glad my dad suggested to do a bit more finishing work to the edges than the totorial I worked off of. I like how it looks. And I did something a bit unusual from what I've seen. The outter belt is a solid and working belt. I wanted to use it to give my belt a bit more support in event the studs in the back fail in some way.
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got home and the good news my sabers were in and are awesome. bad news the tunics don't even begin to fit and are way not the size the seller indicated. So that's a real bummer.

Anyone know a good place to get some actual custom sized stuff that's a good quality in the ballpark of 100-200? Just need the inner/outer tunic, tabards, and the obi. I'm gonna get some just slack type pants like I've seen people suggest.

Total bummer I won't be able to use this at NOCC this weekend. Really tempted to maybe see if some ren stuff I have might work enough to get the point across with the robe, belt and boots or if it'd just be all around better to wait.
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm going to make due for this one convention I think.

I'm using the tabards as an obi and single front tabard and hoping to cover most of the tunic issues with the robe. I really love the Big sleeves from Mystik Merchant. It came out awesome. The sky cosplay stuff not so much. I need pants and the boots should be in Friday. Hopefully that'll make the robe not pool so much. If not I'll need to get it hemmed some.

I'm tempted to cut the long tabard and sew it to the obi which also needs a trimming since it makes nearly two wraps around me. No way would I submit this for approval, but I think it'll do the job for a one day con.

tg202012 (Tyler)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What day you going to comic con. I'm going saturday, but sadly no costume yet
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going saturday. I'm only gonna wear this if the boots come in tomorrow. I've decided that was my best plan
reela (Jeffrey Corbello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan, stop by the 501st table on Saturday. I will be there all day.
BlackTie (Duncan Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely will. Super excited to bet to meet people
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dagobah Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: