Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4d4383de807e76b2b85a3701ea452960Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey's Alternative Outfit (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't see the herringbone pattern in the new footage? It's pretty clearly there. There are often multiple copies of a garment in film though, especially if they have the intent of getting it weathered/damaged later, or if it will be worn throughout the film, or as insurance if one costume gets damaged. But I don't think that's what's going on here, personally. I don't think there's a substantive difference between the new footage and the old, at least not one that blurry and pixellated reference can give us. I've got the bluray on preorder, and I'll be standing right in front of my TV going through it frame by frame when I get it, but until then it'll be a little hard to say for sure.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it in the lining. The fabric itself is definitely herringbone, but I think the lining is something else. Sorry if I wasn't clear!

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, that makes more sense. That said, I don't think the film footage necessarily shows a herringbone in the lining at the moment, either. It barely shows it on the well-lit portions of the costume, as it's currently terrible resolution. So I'd hesitate to suggest it's self-lined for sure until we have better footage- odds are it's exactly the same vest!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it will matter when it comes to submission? I'm seriously thinking of just getting a softer material to line the next one I make for a customer, and if I have left over fabric, making a new one for myself without princess seams.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I am not a judge so you'd have to PM one of them to get in here and dispense an opinion to be sure. And even so, I've found that what matters greatly depends on which judge you get and what kind of mood they're in, ESPECIALLY for face character costumes with no standards (I've done this a few times, heh....). I've had them go through in a snap because I provided thorough documentation, I've had them denied because of a few small details, I've had them sit in the queue for a few weeks with a back and forth over what was right, what was wrong, and what needed upgrading before finally getting it approved, and I've also had to wait just because the character was obscure and weird and not all the reference was consistent. I think that covers almost every possible outcome, hahaha.

Due to the low quality of most of the reference, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they're not going to love approving this costume just yet. Or maybe they will. So far for TFA we're approving Jakku Rey and Finn, and what they have in common is an exhibit costume. We have that for pilots, too, but we're STILL not getting those through the queue, much to the dismay of SoCal's 10-ish TFA pilots. So this is the most vague and noncommittal answer ever, but "it really just depends" is the best answer I have for you.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New high res shots!

You can clearly see that the vest is lined with a moleskin/suede fabric in beige/tan. We can also now clearly see the blanket stitching as well!

Yup, I'm gonna be making this whole thing over again as soon as the Blu Rey arrives...

Crocoboxer (Jim Mossey)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
New high res shots!

You can clearly see that the vest is lined with a moleskin/suede fabric in beige/tan. We can also now clearly see the blanket stitching as well!

What you're seeing there is the undershirt, not a lining.

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I see the undershirt as well. Take a look, the fabric is completely different, a moleskin or suede. The white is part of the collar of her shirt, yes, but it's laying against the lining of the vest.

Crocoboxer (Jim Mossey)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the BluRay. Looked hard for a lining; didn't see one. In the Episode 8 teaser it is lined, but nowhere in TFA can I spot a lining.

aurorahermione

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting until the Blue Ray came out to attempt this (in the interest of not remaking it because I can't stand inaccuracies) and now I know the fabric is going to drive me insane trying to find a match.
I found this:
http://www.moodfabrics.com/theory-charcoal-and-light-gray-herringbone-wool-blend-coating-304928.html
But the herringbone pattern seems a bit small and it's a bit dark.
Also found this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-early-spring-section-14-paragraph-brand-coffee-color-stitching-wool-herringbone-suit-wool-fabric-cloth/32255814951.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.1.iwgp55&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_1_9890_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=a5eff356-ddf0-43d4-a47a-64b96f3bdfb3
and
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yarn-dyed-wool-blend-fabric-herringbone-pattern-brown-color-suit-fabric-sew-for-cardigan-pants/32503862148.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.226.PqSpXj&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201602_1_9890_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_7&btsid=2bb8932d-c886-4dd5-8e21-4d487e7820c0
but ordering from China is a bit of a gamble as it might not be the same as pictures (I have had good luck before but it's still a gamble especially at a high price).

I feel like it's going to be so hard to get the proper color AND weight AND herringbone. This is going to drive me crazy.
aurorahermione

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I spent today searching for wool for the vest.
I spent 2 hours in the Downtown LA Fabric District going to a majority of the stores, asking if they had wool, and looking at their stock if they did.
None had a herringbone weave in the right color or a light enough color to dye.
I did however find a good wool felt that is a good color and weight.
After the FD I went to Mood fabrics and looked there. I found one, but the herringbone is far too narrow… about 1/2 inch. I feel like at that point, it's so much smaller than the film that it's not worth having it.
I've also been continually searching online, everywhere I could think of to search, with every combination of keywords that I could think of, with no dice.
Do you think they'll require a herringbone weave for approval? Because it seems pretty impossible to find.
aurorahermione

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions… for the top, does anyone know what kind of hem it has along the neckline? Is it bias bound? I just sat pausing the blu ray but I couldn't get a good shot that was clear enough.

Also, do we know what kind of fabric the pants are? I'm leaning towards linen, but if anyone else has any insight I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a closed blanket stitch for the hemming all the way around. If you are referring to the top stitching, we're looking at it as almost a faggoting, like on Padme's nightgown. I'm unsure how to get the effect myself, but I'd love to hear what others have done!

And the standards are up now for debate, but they are saying the pants should be made from brown twill, cotton, denim, or like fabric.

Hope that helps!

aurorahermione

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I used a linen fabric and it didn't turn out. Gonna remake them in twill now. I swear this costume is going to drive me insane!
aurorahermione

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for the top I was referring to the undershirt, not the vest. I'm wondering how it's finished along the crossed over parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: