Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=19179056ab9166f0bd445cb792ddf022Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rey's Alternative Outfit (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see the princess seam in the front of this, only in the back. I love the fabric you chose and I am just doubtful of the seam in front. I could not see that in any of the screen captures. Do you have a pic that defines it?
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedibarriss wrote:
I do not see the princess seam in the front of this, only in the back. I love the fabric you chose and I am just doubtful of the seam in front. I could not see that in any of the screen captures. Do you have a pic that defines it?

Here's a screen shot that someone captured.

And now that I have stitched the wool up, I can see why it's SO hard to see! In some lights, it becomes nearly invisible. But you can clearly see the seam here.

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my gauntlets today. I felted them as best I could, and I'm fairly pleased with the result. I am totally convinced by this photo that they are the same fabric as the vest, just felted more.

Here are mine:

I also coffee dyed my grey pants. I need to remove the extra pockets, but overall, I was fairly happy with the color, but I think my camera doesn't really show the color right :/

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a shoot with my Rey yesterday. I need a better belt, better bag, better boots, her staff, her blaster, and a better saber lol. However, as far as the costume itself goes, I am SO happy with it. Please mind that I am 20 weeks pregnant, so the vest doesn't hang true to how it hangs on the dress form (I've photoshopped my tummy a wee bit lol)

ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures and great work!!!! This might have to go on my list of things to make.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediJainaSolo wrote:
jedibarriss wrote:

Here's a screen shot that someone captured.

And now that I have stitched the wool up, I can see why it's SO hard to see! In some lights, it becomes nearly invisible. But you can clearly see the seam here.

I honestly think that screencap is a trick of the light. I went back looking for that seam specifically in IMAX, and couldn't see it. Thus, I've made my pattern without it.

Your photos look great, though! Looks like you had a lot of fun. Smile

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early readers that are coming out by DK have great screenshots. So far have not see one that has the final scenes in the movie but they are only about halfway through the movie content. Keep checking them as the rest of the movie will probably be published in the next few months.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • MEB Membership Officer & Tosche Temple Mistress Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the hunt for a better bag now. I'm gonna buy some boots and mod them, as I can't afford the Po-zu boots. As far as the saber and staff goes, well, those I will definitely have to save for.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the bag at all? There's a discussion going on over at the RPF right now, but I would love to hear thoughts here!

Also, affordable lightsaber recommendations? I like the one the Disney store is selling, but I don't know if it will pass the muster.

Stardancer1914, thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely keep an eye out on those. If I am wrong on the seams (praying I'm not), I can't remake the vest in the fabric I used, as this was the last of it the seller had on Etsy! This whole project has been a labor of love and MUCH research, so I really hope I'm as close as can be!

Here's another shot where there seems to be a princess seam:

Also, even in my photos, very often, the way the fabric falls, you can miss the seam, just a thought.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still dubious about whether or not it's there, but my latest conclusion is that if you have boobs at all, a seam is necessary, so %&*% it, one is going in. My main head-scratch is that with the thickness of the fabric, it shouldn't be nearly invisible. But maybe they pressed it with unicorn tears in the steam compartment, so who even knows.

As for the bag, I'm not sure and may ultimately end up making it myself/modding something from the fashion district. For WonderCon, I'm just using my DreamWorks messenger bag because it's close-ish and probably nobody will notice the logo. Laughing

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up pressing mine, so that certainly is a possibility! I had to iron the whole thing to keep the seams from going wonky lol. Once I did though, it really took a better shape.

Yeah, that bag is SO weird. I think I'm going to wait on it and when I submit, I'll just go without, until we have a better idea and photos of the whole thing. I'm just using my hubby's messenger bag for now. I need to alter my boots and submit soon, my tummy has already popped! Ah the joys of pregnancy!

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after this morning I am willing to say with 100% certainty that there's no way there's a princess seam there. If it's not visible in this resolution at this angle, it cannot possibly exist, especially given how distinct every other seam in this costume is. Now I just have to adjust my patterns to it better over my boobs without the seam, ha.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw it this morning. Had to watch it at least ten times looking for the seam. You're right. I want to remake mine now, but I am well endowed and don't know if it will fit right :/ Will what I have now affect submission?

EDIT: Also, are we sure on the color anymore? I mean, I was convinced it was grey, but it looks like it has more of a khaki color like the action figure. Man, I am really having second thoughts on everything I have done and worked so hard on...

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, that's what happens when you get on the early adoption train with any costume- I want to remake almost all of my TFA Rey, even though it did ultimately pass muster.

I think only a judge can truly answer that question, but my guess is that, based on how other costumes are judged, you'd have to remake it. Confused I mean, on the bright side, that would allow you to pick a heavier fabric, and you have a lot of good stuff going on there to get you going. And you can totally make it happen when you're more heavily endowed- we made it happen with our Battle Handmaiden project... the patterning for the front is very similar to those velvet coats in the way the collar stands up, and while I was probably the flattest of our group, the two girls who did it with me were both much better endowed than I, and if Rachel could make her handmaiden work, you can make this vest work.

And the color has been up in the air for a while, but this is in line with the coloring at the Resistance Base. Ultimately, I think both should be considered acceptable since both appear on screen. However, color correction filters can definitely wreak havoc with costume colors, as we all know too well. The pilot flight suits have been difficult to nail down for that reason. Still, for what appears on screen, which a more blue-grey does, I think that should be allowed.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so now, after playing with the color correction, you're right, still grey! Also, the vest is NOT self lined after all!!! It looks like it is lined with plain matching grey wool or felt for about an inch and a half, and then white wool or felt. This explains why it appears so heavy.

EDIT: I just blew it up further, it might not even been wool or felt, I think it might be moleskin or suede for the first inch, then white cotton OR as someone pointed out over at TheRPF, maybe even twill tape!

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was studying the photos again and noticed something about the shirt, the white we keep spotting that we thought was lining for the vest, it's DEFINITELY part of her shirt collar. You can see it clearly here:

So I'm thinking this now: This version of the vest is self lined. The vest we see in the new footage is lined with a different fabric. So we're talking two different vests here. Same undershirt though. I'm thinking that, because in studying all the photos I have, the original vest DOES look self lined, but in the new footage, I don't see the herringbone pattern, so a different fabric. I hope I make sense! I think the reason their might be two different versions is because the wool IS so itchy, even with the popped collar like I spotted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: