Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=32b77d6ed5b6c0420c19e64cb9c1f87fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo TFA code cylinders for the Jacket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenkenobi ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Han Solo TFA code cylinders for the Jacket Reply with quote

Hi. First time poster here. I am working on a Han Solo TFA costume for myself. I have toyed with the idea in the past, but was re-inspired I was inspired after seeing some members of Alderaan Base when Carrie Fisher spoke at Harvard.

I bought boots and pants that I hope are close from Amazon, and then got a Jacket and Shirt from Film Jackets. I am really pleased with the Jacket in particular.

I want to add in the 'code cylinders' to the Jacket. I have been searching around the forum trying to learn more about how to make them. I saw one mention of e-cig batteries, but in my own searches haven't found anything that looks right.

Can anyone suggest how to acquire or make the cone cylinders for the upper left of Han's jacket?

Thanks so much.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones they're recommending at TheRPF:

http://www.cigabuy.com/automatic-1100mah-rechargeable-diamond-battery-p-3636.html

They're 14mm x 105mm. The silver ones.

These were also recommended:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141712102098

There's also guy doing a run of CNC accurate aluminum cylinders, but it's too rich for my blood at $110.
zenkenobi ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will pick them up. they look about right. Maybe with a black stripe painted on? I'll zoom in on the photos later.
morningtide13 ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the curious, here are the batteries off the ebay listing inserted in my jacket cylinder sleeves.

http://imgur.com/a/r3TBN

They definitely need some dulling down to be more screen accurate.

They also sit a bit too tall in my jacket, which is the Decrum brand jacket (saving up for a Magnoli). They measure about 3.6" long.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some high grit sandpaper will knock that shine down really fast.

I wonder how your jacket's pocket depth compares to Magnoli and others?

If the batteries can be opened, just remove the actual battery (probably a good idea anyway!) and then chop the bottom off to hit the perfect size, and should be all set. Perhaps refill with cheap clay or something to maintain wall strength.
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know. I wanted to ask Zen about the Filmjackets TFA jacket. How is it? You said you really like it. Could you post a review of the jacket. I might be interested in getting it for this costume...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: