Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7cb7e26480aca472f81758b4234dc53dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth costume - WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Hoth costume - WIP Reply with quote

Okay hey it's time to work on a costume with that rare free time from work. I've had this one on the shelf for a while so I'm rolling on my Luke Skywalker on Hoth costume. I'll bounce a post in the Luke forum later, but I really want to get the thumbs up on my Hoth parts so I'll WIP them here.

The requirements:

Light brown quilted vest with large padded collar (portion above the belt line should be padded or insulated to appear puffy). Also has topstitching detail, and fastens down the center front with velcro
    Quilted shirt with white sleeves & quilted gray padded shoulders, pocket on upper right sleeve.
    Light gray pants with quilted patches at the knees
    White cap with gray trim (same style as Imp Officer cap)and quilted ear flap
    Metallic comm box with antenna on ear flap
    Brown scarf around cap (should be Terry cloth or fleece)
    White rimmed ski goggles with yellow lenses
    Gray suede boots with suede wraps around them and 3 white straps.
    Brown leather belt same as Bespin/Dagobah holster
    Button Pad on left breast of jacket
    Light gray gauntlet style suede gloves with comlink on left wrist
    Lightsaber (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back version)

And here's what I've got shaking so far.

Luke ESB Master Replicas Lightsaber, good for Wampa arm cutting.

Luke's belt (I picked up a bunch of stuff from a former member who was selling off his unfinished project so I'll go from there.)

Gloves, comm box, badge and communicator:

Vintage Stein Eriksen ski goggles from our buddies at 'Bay:

Cap:

Costumebase Hoth outfit (don't laugh so much! It's going to make a wonderful pattern for me. Look at that baby collar!!!)

And real costume material, white and beige cotton along with batting.

So next is to construct my pants and top (it's so hard not to say inner tunic) so I think a visit to JoAnns is in order for 2 different shades of grey (there's a joke there but I won't make it) and long strips of sew-able velcro. I've been back to icestationecho and loaded up on PDFs. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Ghost Base
Legion Costume Judge
Former LMO
First Jedi General in the Legion
501st SL-9640
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark you are defininitely off to a start here. yes, that CB hoth outfit leaves a lot to be desired. Ill add some images that may help as well.

Im curious on the source of the hat, the bill seems exaggerated. Perhaps its just the picture, but the one that I got from TKvanB isnt that long or at least doesnt seem that long when photographed, and the straps are lighter.

The belt and holster combination sure looks OK to me based on the refernence photos, all taken in different lighting so the colors seem to work well.

photo of the real soft helmet in a cafe in Finsk

the actual movie used hat again.

One think I noted looking at some of the SW screencap sites is that the trim color on lukes hat changes, He may have been using a hat worn by other crew members at some point.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, thanks for the feedback there. The bill on the hat is exaggerated - looks like I could wear it to the ballgame and keep the sun from my entire face. So I'll probably be taking that apart, cutting it down and then re-sewing it to a more appropriate curve closer to the face and angling it down.

Lighting and color seems to be a bit thing (Han's "blue" jacket seems to be a big brown point there!) and so I was in Jo-Anns last week and came across this amazing fabric that looks like it would be perfect for his top. The color is called 'tobacco', what do you think? (No flash/flash)

I also grabbed some gray to create the pants, but I believe I'll want more of that.

Ghost Base
Legion Costume Judge
Former LMO
501st SL-9640
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the photo it looks like it has some sort of odd color thread woven in in a pattern, and the pants appear to be heather grey like sweathshirt.

now, that's in the PHOTO...do they look like that in natural light?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've sort of discarded that grey, it was more knit than I want for pants. I'll keep up the search for a good shade to create that with. And I'll see if I can get the beige in the sunlight for a photo or two. You think plain flat beige would be better?

Ghost Base
Legion Costume Judge
Former LMO
501st SL-9640
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think so...plain flat without much of a weave *unless we can see a weave in the images* seems to work best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: