Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8c1b2ef757b6c76a33a890ce50e1ddb1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Yavin Tech with headeset......lets discuss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Yavin Tech with headeset......lets discuss Reply with quote

Kyle Katarrn has been approved with his new Yavin tech wearing a headset. it was discussed a bit last year as well.

Other than the helmet replaced with a Racal minilight headset, this is a straghtforward Yavin technician .

We have two ways to proceed.

The simplest is to alter the existing Standard to allow the use of a Racal Headset vs a helmet.

The second is to create a new standard. There is no reason to bar approval for both if a person wants both.

Commentary needed!
Yavin War Room Tech by mommydawn2000, on Flickr
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd support making it an "either" instead of creating another whole costume.
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry it's taken me a little while to respond to this.

I'm easy either way, but I'd lean towards making it a seperate costume.

It may seem like it's just a change of headgear, but arguably the same could be said of Hoth Tech vs Hoth Hangar Trooper, and Han Solo vs Han post-Trash Compactor -- different belt/blaster and it's a new costume.

From an in-universe point of view, I also believe the War Room Tech would have a different skill set to the mechanical crew who work on the ships, so I feel it's justified as an individual costume from this angle as well.

One thing I would like to push on this, is that the headset should be a real or replica Racal Minilite, rather than a generic headset that looks "close enough". There are a number of suppliers of replica Racals out there, (in US and UK) for a reasonable price, so I think this should be part of the required items.

The Racal pops up throughout the original trilogy within both the Rebellion and the Empire, and a modified version even appears in TFA, so in a small way it's kind of part of the identity of this universe.

Dr8072 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with either way of doing it, but Kyle makes a good case for two standards

However I do agree fully with him on the fact that the headset needs to be a rascal minilite or clone as long as there are viable sources

This is simulair as with other costumes where the helmet is what makes the costume
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am in total agreement on the Racal...copies are quite easy to come by.

Lets hear more input folks.
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either or sounds good.

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben (informal), Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

XO- HMS Hexapuma, Captain (jg) TRMN

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there are three threads intertwined for years on this similar topic. When I published my RAID Sticky Ref last month, I didn't know of this or the other thread discussing the subsets of Yavin Techs.

I would put forth this revised and streamlined Yavin Tech CRL for commentary. It seems to jibe with comments and based on every frame of every ANH tech. Better yet, adopting a new framework imposes no changes whatsoever on current members and makes it easier to recruit via less expensive options.

I realize I am not a detachment member yet and you guys run things the way you want. I'm not here to tell you how to do things. As an aspiring member, I hope this is taken with the well intentioned spirit it is suggested. And with Rogue 1 hitting now, this unified standard might just cover that as well!

ANH YAVIN TECH REQUIRED ITEMS
1. Flightsuit
Light tan or light gray coverall with mandarin-style collar and pointed tab, rectangular pocket with a flap closure on upper right arm, 2 hip pockets and 4 leg pockets. Black velcro is used on the neck and arm cuffs as well as the pockets. No visible zippers or snaps are allowed. This is the same flightsuit pattern as the ANH Pilots wear and pockets should be the same. Pants can be hemmed to the ankle or cuffed to the ankle.

2. Belt
Dark khaki, British Khaki, or dark tan with a roll pin buckle. Belt should have mini-flare loops that can be empty or contain up to a full set of 12 mini-flares.

3. Footwear
3a. (Rog1) Black, leather, mid-calf engineer/motorcycle boots.
Pants are tucked and bloused.

3b. (ANH) Tall boots or black leather dress-shoes with black socks.
Pants are worn long to the floor or cuffed at the ankle. Tall boots are never bloused.

4. Arm Tools/Code cylinders.
From one to three may be worn on the left arm per the ANH pilots.

5. Choice of ONE of the following. Each is exclusive to the other.
5a. FLIGHT CREW
Function: Assist pilots, load droids, fuel, clear lines, maintenance.
No headware. Step 4 completes your costume.

5b. GROUND CREW
Function: Direct fighter craft to launch/land. Drive and man ground-effect vehicles on base.

Accurate Tech helmet (RFT helmet sans swoop on back nor visor, etc). Helmet can be white or light gray and can have either a white/light gray or black com box. It may or may not have an Antenna on the mandatory comm box.

Option: May carry pair of 'traffic wands'

5c. TACTICAL CREW (aka 'War Room')
Function: Track and maintain communications and all telemetry of craft in flight.

Headset must be accurate to the original Racal year and model.

--------------------------------------------------

This creates three distinct and easily recognized options from one standard, affects no current member and makes it easier for future members who can upgrade and change over time with their base financial investment.

Thanks for the discussion so far. I'm glad not to be alone in my thoughts and research on the matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: