Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=209ba733f9b6f64532690ff98a9d16daMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Force Awakens Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Han Solo Force Awakens Build Reply with quote

Hey guys, I figured I've gain enough steam on my build to post a progress thread on my Ep7 Han Solo build. Going to be going for the highest accuracy I can get.

Been working with my local Designer for the past 2 months on the shirt and pants. The pants are a heavy weight cotton similar to dickies work pants. So they don't have that costume feel and keep their shape well. They have the sewn pintucks, are pocket less, wide Belt loops and no saddle seam.

The shirt is made from a vintage linen material that has a slight texture and gives off a good cream white color in certain lighting. The collar extends down to right below the chest and is secured by hidden snaps. Same goes for the arm cuffs.

My next step is the belt and currently from what I can tell it looks like his ANH Belt, minus the small pouch to the left of the buckle and droid caller holster.

Boot wise I'm gonna try to find some old worn German riding boots that have the black dye worn down to look more brown in color.

Should have this in hand on Friday for test fitting. Does anyone know off hand if age stippling and white hair will be a requirement for this costume?

Thanks

Andy
Christo Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Finally took some time to take a few worn pictures. Gonna take the sleeves in about half an inch to be more form fitting, but other than that I love it. Since I had Tuck make it in heavy weight fabric if doesn't feel costumy at all. Tried to get a pic to show off the cuffs, pintuck and collar stitching all together in bottom pic. Disregard the boots and Belt.

Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not fan to go with pants as brown ones (as in ESB or ROTJ).

In movie and also in TFA visual guide, they are more darker ... and with little bit green shade ... almost like dark brown - olive ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm maybe I could dye them with a mixture of brown and green.

Does anyone know yet if old age stippling /white hair will be a requirement for this version of Han?
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Silver Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarkone wrote:
Does anyone know yet if old age stippling /white hair will be a requirement for this version of Han?

I am not a LCJ, but when this debate will appear ... I will vote for this as optional item ... Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha-ha thanks.
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I don't know if my post will help you or not, but in the Leia subforum is an excellent photo of Leia and Han together. I think it's a promo shot. It is the second post in the thread.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71366&start=0

I bring this up because I don't see the green tint that was advised to you in the pant coloring. If anything, I see a deep brown coloring. I wonder if the green that was indicated wasn't due to a flash from explosions or something else? Anyways, if you have access to photo rendering software, you can adjust contrast and such to get a better look at tiny details.

As for the hair, well, I don't know anymore than you. But I can tell you that in the Leia and Padme costumes, the hair is a pretty big part of it all. You have to have it somewhat right or you can't get approved. How they treat Han's new look could be similar. I can offer you an idea which could be useful. There is a temporary hair color spray (white) that is generally marketed for Halloween. A light dusting of that would solve the problem and not permanently hack your nice dark hair.

EDIT: BTW, love the picture atop the manniquin holding the shirt & pants. I've got "Purple-Lady" which my daughter promptly made up a face on the styrofoam wig holder so purple lady wouldn't be headless....
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermitt wrote:
Andy, I don't know if my post will help you or not, but in the Leia subforum is an excellent photo of Leia and Han together. I think it's a promo shot. It is the second post in the thread.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71366&start=0

I bring this up because I don't see the green tint that was advised to you in the pant coloring. If anything, I see a deep brown coloring. I wonder if the green that was indicated wasn't due to a flash from explosions or something else? Anyways, if you have access to photo rendering software, you can adjust contrast and such to get a better look at tiny details.

Check this hi ress photo = you can see here lot of details ... and also pants color in comparison to gunbelt and pants belt ... to me personally look with olive - green - dark brown shade ...

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens-harrison-ford-han-solo-1.jpg

silvermitt wrote:
As for the hair, well, I don't know anymore than you. But I can tell you that in the Leia and Padme costumes, the hair is a pretty big part of it all. You have to have it somewhat right or you can't get approved. How they treat Han's new look could be similar. I can offer you an idea which could be useful. There is a temporary hair color spray (white) that is generally marketed for Halloween. A light dusting of that would solve the problem and not permanently hack your nice dark hair.

Well, I think we should not mix two things = yes, for Leia and Padme costumes are hair a pretty big part ... but it is regarding HAIR STYLE ... not regarding color Wink

ps: yes, temp Halloween colors in spray are great Wink

thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I pan on styling my hair to be like his and if I have to add on make up or hair coloring its no biggie. I use to portray Palpatine outside the 501st so I'm use to having lots of makeup lol.

Any ideas on what would be the best color dye to use on darkening the pants color to the more olive color? Wondering how spruce green would react to the black fabric?
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good image of Han Solo in this thread here at RL (Posted reply #7.):

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69604&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And it's the same picture the CO posted.

I know I don't make or break rules here, but I don't see green there, fella. What I do see is a deep brown. Muted even. Maybe it goes back to that whole rebel legion in episode 7 having all muted colors.

TomAto/ ToMAto, anyone?
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera filters can also have affect on it. Just like the bluish filter Lucas slapped on the original Trilogy to help it blend better with the Prequel Trilogy photography.
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been one of the most helpful images for me

[img]
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=563022&d=1449422303[/img]
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good picture.

I can only advise what I'd do personally, which is just a thought to consider. And that would be to hold off adding any additional green to the pant coloring. Because it's a whole lot easier to add the green later than it is to try to remove that coloring. You had a whole lot of effort put into making those pants. If the coloring is wrong, it would be a nightmare to correct it.

When the CRL is finalized, you can always make that minor change then.
thedarkone (Andy Perry)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I agree. Jacket wise I currently have the sky seller version, but I have another jacket on the way that has the opening instead of having one side even with the collar and the other side a flap like the sky seller version.

Ordered 3 e-cig batteries that look spot on to the pocket cylinders. Are there any other known changes to the holster rig besides the lack of the droid caller clip and small left side pouch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: