Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9c42af1ce59a7066532ad6f279aa7638Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chewbacca in the Berk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
illstr8or ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Chewbacca in the Berk Reply with quote

Hello fellow Wookiee builders. I'm just beginning my wookiee build and wanted to share my plan.

Feet:
Planning on using similar approach as other builders (gulywhumper) making my own boot using old shoes, wood for support and stability along with styrofoam for shape. Paired with Wookiee Toes from Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks). I'm 6'4" and targeting a wook height of around 7'3" relying on 8" lift in the boots along with the 3" or so of height the mask yields.

Mesh Undersuit:
I like the MoodFabrics Wonder Mesh that builders like Spycee used. Seems like a good rule for the sizing/fitment of the pants and shirt should be fitted but not tight. At the same time, not too loose. I have an idea to donate and old shirt and pair of jeans taken apart at the seams to use as pattern for the top and bottoms.

Hair:
I've researched and seems LA Trend seems like a good brand though maybe a little harder to find than the brand people seem to use from Texas Beauty Supply. I found a store on ebay (CyberloxShop) that has LA Trend brand. Either way, the techniques I'm finding here on mixing the color and amount of strands to use and the patterns to try/follow are super helpful. Again, Spycee's suit looks great.

Mask:
I've never done a life cast or sculpted a mask but I am good with my hands and really excited for the challenge. In no way diminishing the complexity but at the same time, I'm itching to get to that part. Seems like most people who build/sculpt their own mask, do that after the suit, feet and other pieces are done.

Will share more as I go and happy to be a part of this community. Cheers!
Bacca9 ()
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Looks like you have a great start! Are you doing Chewie or a Generic? If you're looking for decent hair, I like the Rastafri brand from ikickshins.net Smile It's very soft and doesn't need straightening.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer 2017-2020
Legion Costume Judge
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gingersnap. I was just looking at that brand today. I bought a package of each color from bnghair.com of the Black And Gold brand to test/tryout how I'm going to do the hair. The RastAfari brand seemed solid quality. I like that site because the product pictures seem very detailed to me and pretty decent quality. Seem to really be able to tell the texture of the hair. Will try that product out.

Tonight I'm working on my "boot" as I'm referring to it.

Here we go. \nn/
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productive pre-production day. <-hahaha.

I ordered some kanekalon hair and mesh which will be delivered this week so I spent the day building a hackle using Limey's tutorial (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25171). In the interest of trying new things, I changed the pattern slightly by varying the length and diameter of the nails into rows that will "funnel" the hair together, well blended. At least in theory. I noticed on some of the professional ones on the market that there was a distinct narrowing or "funnel" type pattern to the tines of the hackle.

I also took my grinder to the ends of the nails a bit because I felt "barbs" in the metal from the stamping/milling process that I didn't want to catch and collect otherwise "strong" hair during hackling. Goal is to obviously limit the amount of waste in that process.

A few pics to come tomorrow.

Cheers!
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of progress this week though not much visible.

Finished my hackle following Limey's tutorial but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

hackle-01 by illstr8or, on Flickr

Began work on the feet. Have spent a lot of time on this part and I think I have a solid plan. Purchased 6 sheets of Owens Corning brand EPS pink insulation foam to affix together and start to form the lift height (targeting 8 inches). Looks like I will get 2 feet for a 1'x2' block (roughly 6.5" thick in the end). More on this later as I tested different adhesives for the foam.

foot-foam-forms-01 by illstr8or, on Flickr

Elicited the help from my wife and kids to help me build a duct-taoe dummy similar to Dougie Fett's tutorial: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35505&sid=eddf8323d2b15c5cd29630d2fa4c528c
Planning to fill it with expanding foam sealant and lightweight foam filler to help give it rigidity and structure.

Doing it's best Neo-esque, avoiding bullets roll.

by illstr8or, on Flickr
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post holiday update.

Received a few new colors of kanekalon hair from BNGHair.com. Nice people and easy to work with on exchanging one brand for another.

Worked on the feet today. Shaped both feet and dug out channels for boots to glue into. Added a few long (3") drywall screws to secure the shoes to the foam platform. A ton of liquid nails and Gorilla Glue to also help keep it in place.

Test fit these bad boys and super happy with them so far. They are very light and I'm able to get around on them fairly well. It will also only get better as I'm more comfortable moving around in them. Check out the pics...

Feet channel by illstr8or, on Flickr

"Boot" glued into place by illstr8or, on Flickr

Boots with glue by illstr8or, on Flickr

Boot curing 2 by illstr8or, on Flickr
Bacca9 ()

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you walked in these yet? Looks like a really cool solution to the toe bump problem Smile

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer 2017-2020
Legion Costume Judge
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually walked around in them for a while today after the glue setup overnight and they're quite comfortable and offers great mobility. They're freaking amazingly light. My wife mentioned they are kind of like "platform shoes" and take most people a little while getting used to the limited flex.

Next up is casting the toes I've sculpted. Will post some pics of those in the coming days as I might have approval questions. :-)

Cheers!
Sarah1968 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this method. I tried this style originally but was too short for it as I stand stocking feet at 6 foot. So far it's all looking great dude - keep going Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of progress on my platform FEET but first, I'd like y'all to meet Vannequin Skywalker (my trusty sidekick mannequin for this build project).

For context, my name is Van. \nn/

I've got a question for the group, especially the judges reading, about the toes I've designed/shaped. I've taken some liberties with the Original Trilogy style Chewbacca feet and shaped them slightly different to more suit the style of platform boots. Notice the slope to the toes. I'm curious what the judges might think of this style. I'd love some feedback before I proceed which entails several laters of Foam Coat with Bounce, some latex for extra durability (being feet, on the ground, cement, weather, etc) and I'm also planning to make a mold of the whole toe area (rather than full foot) because I never want to shape them again - the Owen-Corning EPS that I used is super messy with all that insulation fibers baked into the foam even wearing a respirator, can't be good for ye ole lung health.

Check them out:

Don't worry about the cracks, planning on filling those in before I apply the Foam Coat

Visible toes will be the dark brown flesh color I've seen on other posts.

Planning to add the black "toenails/claws" before I form the molds

Here's a Test Fit:

Trying them on Vannequin where they will live when not on my feet:

Click here to check out a little video of me milling about in my shop:

Thanks in advance, gang!
Sarah1968 ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing job and they look to be scaled perfectly. As long as the hair comes down over the foot so you know the toes are there but they're not the main focus, I reckon you'll nail it.

Would love to see a mockup of what you're going to do with the nails.

Love it and the foot looks like it will be a seamless fit on the costume - which is awesome. I hate all you tall buggers lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Sarah. I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. The "boots" are coming along nicely. Check out the progress...

This week I've been focus on finishing the foam by coating them to protect them from weather, strengthen the "shell" to not compromise the integrity of the foam and color them basic black to prep for adding hair.

I found some previous builder tutorials that mentioned Foam Coat from a company called Hot Wire Foam Factory. Pretty cool products.

Foam Coat is a gypsum type product that when mixed with water to form a thin to thick coat, will add strength and rigidity to the foam it covers.

The next product they make that I really like is a PVA type product with a rubbery additive that when applied in tandem with the Foam Coat will make a super durable coating that has some give/elasticity to the coated foam. Of course you're limited by the properties of the foam. Basically, if you stub Chewie's toe, the coating should protect the surface from cracking (like straight-up PVA can do) and help the exterior bounce back to it's original form.

And to be sure, this is the 32oz bottle of Bounce and I used approximately 4 coats though not all with the Foam Coat gypsum as Bounce can be applied on it's own. More about that below.

There's a few videos but one I found super helpful was from TerranScapes (a company that makes foam models and such - Pretty Cool). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgxjvOSBc0

If you use these two products, make sure to get the ALL PURPOSE FOAM COAT as the EXTERIOR FOAM COAT product version will not work with the BOUNCE. Also, you can vary adding water, another additive called BOOST that will give the finished Foam Coat hard plastic type properties.

I first did a base coat of a mixture that was more 3:1 ratio Foam Coat to Bounce. This yielded a thicker paste that i spread on with a putty knife to fill in some major cracks/joints. I used less Bounce for this because the bounce isn't very sand-able. Using FC with water will yield more of a plaster-like substance that is easily sand-able. Do tests with varying consistencies to get what works best for your application.

These pics have the cardboard mock-up of the "spats" I'm putting around my boot to help give the foot a better shape and the slant I'm hoping to achieve to hide my 8.5" lift.

I realized that when I did the test fit, my spats resembled my favorite "workaroundthehouse" Crocks so that got me thinking about how I can reduce weight (even though the foam is super light) but also give some vent holes so my dogs don't bark that bad after a long day on the comicon floors.

After that cured, I coated the bottoms of the foam boots with a similar consistency paste that I poured on and spread with a putty knife to a thickness around 1/8" which also "leveled" the soles. This mixture though had more Bounce and FC which gave a super strong coating but a bit of elasticity to hopefully keep these babies motoring Chewie down the road.

I then created a mixture with adding an ounce or so of Acrylic Latex Interior paint (flat Black) to tint a 1:1 Bounce + Foam Coat super thick slurry and brushed it on.

The end result is below, black boots that have a rubbery, protective coating. I did this with 3 coats. Each coat was relatively thin. Many of you might guess, building up thin layers on top of each other gives the desired results with minimal bubbles or splotchiness.

Incidentally, these pics are after I did the same process to the spats which I hot glued in place once everything was cured. Got too excited about the progress and forgot to document a little along the way. More about those later.

If you try this, don't be alarmed when you add the Latex paint as there is a chemical process that will result in a very thick, gummy substance that resembles Silly Putty. Once you add more Bounce (or water if you want it to be less rubbery but more "hardened") to get the consistency of thick paint or Elmers glue.

I ended up with quite a number of spots that I call "dimples" or spots where the FC didn't fill in on the foam. So I went in with a final coat but I changed it up a little, again following a recommended wookiee builder (I think it might have been Matt Pfingsten GotWookiee) who mentioned about applying liquid latex. While the Bounce was probably gonna be adequate and I was ready to mix a last batch to spread on with my brush as I had done the other 3 layers, I decided to research how I can apply a final coat of latex that I can airbrush on.

Found some info on a few sites about creating a 1:1 ratio mixture of latex paint to liquid latex and thinned with ammonia-D (Windex) to the consistency of milk. The result allowed me to fill in those little dimples of white foam coat showing through. Plus, giving another later of protection for the elements. Maybe overkill but it's a learning process and next time I will pick one method and stick with that for all coats.

As mentioned earlier in the post, the spats were made to help give shape to the foot and give me something to also anchor the mesh to. I found another tutorial of a builder coating EPS with PVA and then priming and painting to give a plastic coating to his foam "Iron-Man" pieces (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwQg6CX25A). This gave me the idea for the 6mm craft foamies that I found on Amazon.

While these worked out in the end, one major issue with this product is that I bought a package of 10 sheets each 9"x12" but each sheet individually had an insanely sticky label that is impossible to remove without damaging the foam underneath. Instead of ordering a different product which I was having a hard time locating stuff that the YouTuber highlighted, I made sure the sticker was minimized when possible. I think it actually only ended up being in 2 of the pieces.

Once cut, I shaped each piece using a variable setting heat gun.

So what's next...

I am at a critical juncture in the build, I have to amputate the toes from each foot which I will then make a silicone mold for, cast with Urethane from Smooth-On and then shape the final feet using Sculpy modeling clay to get all the details such as skin texture and claws. From there, I'll cast the final toes using silicone similar to how Dougie Fett does his ROTS style toes (which is my inspiration for making my own formed feet. If I fail miserably, I'm calling on you Dougie for a set. :-)

I've taped off my cut line and going in with a saw. Wish me luck.

Toes ready for amputation by illstr8or, on Flickr

Cheers!
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'VE DISMEMBERED THE TOES FROM THE FEET!!!

Getting ready to prep these to create a mold and cast a new positive of these foam feet.

I'm making a new pos of these for 2 reasons...

First, to learn how to make molds out of silicone as practice for when I make my mask.

And Second, to save these original toes incase I want to tweak them. Also, Sculpy clay leaves a residue on the foam coated surface (I wisely tested before slapping it on). I guess that would clean up relatively easy... but see first reason above. :-)

I mentioned about the thick Foam Coat with Bounce. Here's a shot of a piece of foam I coated initially as a test. I broke it purposely to see what kind of strength it would take and I can say it is very strong. Not like plastic or anything, but hard enough I feel pretty good the feet will "stand up" over time. Hehehe!

Finally, I coated the feet with the tinted mixture that I mentioned. Waiting for them to cure overnight.

By illstr8or, on Flickr

Next, I'll be finishing them off airbrushing on the latex that I did previously to "seal" them.
illstr8or ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots to update on with the feet.

First off, here's a rough sketch of my plan. Apologies for the proportions but the gist is there.

Foot Sketch by illstr8or, on Flickr

I'm also planning on adding some foam shin supports to help give Chewie's leg a taper up to my knee. More to come on that as I think about the design.

Next, I wanted to give the feet a bit of latex skin feel (as complete overkill) to mainly test out applying liquid latex using an airbrush.

The mixture is of liquid latex and FW acrylic airbrush colors. For the liquid latex, I'm using the Mold Builder brand from Castin' Craft that I found at Michael's Arts N Crafts.

I then thinned this out with 50/50 mixture of water and windex and loaded it up on my Paasche model V sideloading airbrush.

The results turned out great with a few lessons learned...

Remind yourself that 2 coats is not enough. Turns out I left some pretty thin areas because as soon as I touched it in a few spots, the latex just pealed right off.

As I mentioned, the latex is overkill with the Foam Coat +Bounce coating. I recommend to other builders thinking about coating the foam, choose 1 or the other product. Foam Coat +Bounce is fine as is.
gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your feet are looking really nice. Great job. Walking on foam feet is fairly comfortable too. Just make sure you try them on to measure the stability of the bottoms of the feet before you do anything to permanently finish them. You know, so you can make changes easily. I found that mine tended to roll to the outside and would have been likely to twist my ankles or blow out my knee. I ended up having to add a small wedge of foam to the outside of my feet to pitch them inward and counteract the desire to roll outward. You toes look so good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: