Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a7041ac496ce0830cfdc498abb52b631Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Traveling with Helmets and Chest Box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bart415 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Traveling with Helmets and Chest Box Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

So I'm excited to finally debut my X-Wing Pilot Costume just before the premier but I know I'll certainly be traveling alot to many conventions with it. So I have question for all you pilots out there.

What would be the best advice you can give to travel with your gear? Primary the Helmet and Chest Box. I'm looking into investing in those pelican suitcases to use to travel about. Even know I'm sure it'll cost alot in terms of Checked Luggage prices and all that fun stuff.

Is this by any chance the best I can do to preserve the accessories during travels?

Any advice would be great! =)
Jaxxa ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally hate Pelican cases because I used to have to use them at work and the closures were really hard to open and close until they had gotten broken in.

I just pack my pilot gear in my suitcase, with the small parts in a little zipper bag so they stay together. I wrap the chest box up in the suit so it doesn't get scratched up. This past week, I flew with my helmet for the first time. I put it in a padded motorcycle helmet bag and took it on as my carryon with no trouble at all.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep my helmet inside a padded motorcycle helmet bag and I haven't had any issues with it. My chestbox goes inside a small plastic container that fits is just right, and I have bubble wrap around it.

I keep all of my costume stuff in a tub (one tub for each costume) and I usually take that tub with me to troops. If I go out of town and take the stuff on a plane they all go into a carry-on duffle bag. I haven't had anything damaged during travel so far.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bell (Ashley)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i traveled over with my x-wing to DragonCon i had it in a padded bag and took it on the plane as hand luggage. It fitted beneath the seat in front of me.

Chest box i wrapped up in my flightsuit which was in my case
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small plastic tote that fits the helmet perfectly. I have a small R2-D2 American Tourister Carry on that I carry my costume in.
My chest-box I wrap in my suit, but if needed, it fits in the bin inside my helmet...

GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying to London for C8 this summer, I've decided to leave the boots behind, but am torn about bringing my helmet. We are making a 2 week vacation out of the trip, so carrying the helmet around for the rest of the time is what's causing my indecision.

A motorcycle bag as carry-on luggage sounds good if I can fit my other carry-on stuff like cameras inside the bag or helmet as well. The suit itself rolls up nice and tight while the chestbox goes flat enough into my checked luggage.

If traveling more locally, I would figure on a plastic storage bin to keep things safe. So far, I've worn my suit to the few events I've gone to and just thrown the helmet into my car. I would like to get a custom-fit, foam-padded carrier for the gear eventually though. At home so far, the full suit gets hung in the closet.
Qui-Gon Joe (Joseph Martin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it for costume stuff yet, but I've shipped snowboard equipment to the hotel/condo where I was going to be staying...
Just my two credits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: