About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cf5dfc8b7fc223bd44e5c7235cae5f0aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Trench Trooper build 2014
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKvanB (Kathy van Beuningen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Hoth Trench Trooper build 2014 Reply with quote

After doing research on this and collecting pieces since about 2007 when Phyllis asked me about making the hat, I finally decided that "eventually" had finally arrived! I think this project went on the back-burner, because among other things, I resumed working full-time in Dec 2007 and in 2009 I finally found the perfect snowtrooper armor and resumed that build. I had wanted to build a snowtrooper since 2002......

Earlier this month (o1/2014), I completed the (7th) Hoth hat that I started building many years ago, probably in 2007. In the box where I had the pieces of the hat was also a bunch of other fabric & swatches that Phyllis had given me years ago, along with some reference material that I had collected to figure out how to build the hat in the first place.

Several years ago, I had bought 2 DH-17s. One I wear with my Imperial Officer's uniform some times. The other I had hoped to use with a Rebel Trooper costume at some time.

In the box of fabric was a piece that Phyllis had sent that was supposed to be enough to build the holster for the blaster. So after I finished the hat, I decided to try to build the holster.

The I came back to this forum on Jan 17 and saw a pair of goggles posted.

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB wrote:
These look like a little better match then some other Goggles. Just have to add a amber film to them.

Emgo model # EM76-49551

Swans Goggles used in ESB

I ordered them.

Then came the 5th Annual Midwest Garrison Banquet (01/18/2014) and I decided that I Was going to (seriously) work on the HTT costume.

The following day (01/19/2014),

TKvanB wrote:
After talking a lot about building this costume at the MWG banquet last night, I decided to use my momentum today to go to Vogue Fabrics in Evanston today to look for fabric and stuff. I ended up purchasing almost 10 yards of a 54 - 60" wide off white fabric and 12 3/4 yards of a khaki colored fabric that was in a very narrow bolt. (probably around 45" wide) I brought the fabric samples from Phyllis with me. The colors are an extremely close match, however the fabric is not as heavy. I bought all of these fabrics that they had, because the selection at Vogue is different every day and these fabric were designer close-outs at $1.99 per yard. So it is nearly impossible to buy a matching fabric if you end up not having enough. I will probably make my own quilted fabric out of this so it will be an exact match and I should have plenty to make the trench trooper vest and cover the back pack when I get that far.
I also found a belt buckle that might work and some furniture cording that I will use to try to make that belt. I also bought a 7" zipper for the pants and 2 giant spools of matching thread. Now I will have plenty to do for a while if and when we get snowed in again.

Will post pictures soon.

Here is the fabric and stuff that I bought yesterday, plus all of the other fabric and stuff that I have been accumulating for a few years now in anticipation of eventually building this costume. Eventually is starting today.

Here is Phyllis 's fabric piece (plus the note ) lying on top of the 9 3/4 yards of off-white fabric that I bought yesterday. It is 54" wide and there is a LOT of it, so I will be able to use this for the vest & backpack, plus the inevitable mistakes. I might even line the jacket too. I know, it's going to be HOT......

Here is the (grey) piece of fabric that Phyllis gave me for glove gauntlets. I ran the edges through my serger this morning, so it wouldn't totally unravel in the washer. then I washed it. It is 100% cotton and did shrink. Better now than after I finish, right? Also pictured is the wrist greeblie, the small piece of pre-quilted off-white fabric that Phyllis sent, the belt buckle I found at Vogue yesterday and some furniture cording that I plan to try to use to make the belt.

Here is a close-up of the belt buckle. Phyllis, do you think that will work??

Here is the 12+ yards of khaki fabric that I bought at Vogue yesterday. The bolt is only 36" wide. SO, it will go relatively fast. There is more than enough for 2 pairs of pants and then some, in case I make mistakes.

It is lying next to the pre-quilted tan fabric that Phyllis gave me that the top of her jacket is made out of. Now that I am looking at it here in the house under the indoor lights, the colors do look different. The colors were nearly identical under florescent light.

Jan 22

TKvanB wrote:
What I have done in the past 2 days:

Here are the pieces of fabric that I cut out for the quilted knees for the pants. I have all of the pins in place so the fabric and batting doesn't move around when I sew all of the diagonal lines through the pieces. I am using a combination of these two pants patterns, modified, to make my pants. I really like the waist and fly of the Suitability pattern and I am using the McCalls for the shape of the leg.

Here I am sewing the lines through the 2 pieces of fabric that will be on the knees.

Here are the quilted knee pieces lying over the pants fronts & pattern.

Guess what showed up in the mail yesterday while I was working on my HRT pants????
I know I need to change the strap and the lens needs to be green or amber.

So what material do you use for lenses? Where do you get this material?
The plastic seems fairly thin and is pretty easy to remove.

Here is the front of the pants with the quilted knee pieces in place. Then after a few more hours of sewing & construction.....

This is what the pants look like this morning. I only need to install a button hole & button and then this pair is done. I may eventually make another pair of these pants in a heavier material.

Jan 27

TKvanB wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:
and btw...

here is a decent priced hard pack frame on e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BOY-SCOUT-BACKPACK-78-79-ISSUES-BOYS-LIFE-AND-WEBELOS-RIBBON-/281251078605?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1120

I've got a backpack frame coming now Smile

PLUS -- I received an AWESOME package of greeblies in the mail today -- THANKS PHYLLIS!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

.....more coming.....
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have been doing in the past week:

I am making "Hoth Pockets" !!!!

I drew out the grid design on a small piece of the fabric with a dress-maker's pencil.

I had to work out exactly how I would do the back of the HRT jacket so that the quilted yoke would not be attached at the lower seam. Here is the back yoke piece pinned to a piece of fabric (from what I use for my HRT pants) that will act as the lining. I sewed, serged and under stitched the lining fabric to the quilted piece, then I basted the lining in place along the other edges. Now I will baste this in place on the back of the jacket that I cut out differently as well.

Here are all of the pieces cut out for my HRT jacket. Oh. I made a HRT fabric camera bag, so I will be able to camouflage my camera while I am wearing this costume. I wanted to see how this fabric sewed & serged before I started on the jacket pieces. Plus I wanted to sew this before I switch the thread on the serger from khaki to off-white.

Here is the left sleeve pinned in place. I have extra-wide double fold bias tape sewn in place on the lower sleeve edge of the quilted cuff. I will finish this off once I join the sleeve seam.

the front of the HRT jacket.

This is the right sleeve. I decided to put the lower sleeve quilting on, on a slight curve. This sleeve is also currently pinned in place.

3/4 Back view. This shows the loose back quilted yoke.

For the time being, this jacket is now done. Here it is with a temporary belt that I made out of the buckle I found at Vogue + some 1 3/4" natural cotton webbing from JoAnne. Oh, and I added the Rebel Trooper blaster + holster I made to see how this would hang. The waist on the dress form is higher than my waist line.

I am going to try something a little bit different by cutting the vest out in several pieces, then joining the pieces so I can get this to curve more to the body.

I was able to print out Phyllis's pattern design. I was going to scale it up to actual size. As I did that, I realized that this could be made to be a little more form-fitting.

Here are the 3 pattern pieces joined together. What I did was angle the front yoke piece to fit into the vest front and back yoke piece at a slight angle. These seam joins will blend into the piece's other quilted lines...theoretically.

A LOT of sewing, pinning, seam-ripping later........

The State of the Costume as of this morning. I joined the center front of the vest last night, added the strap loops at the lower front and the straps and belt to the back of the vest. I hemmed the piece of fabric that I may use for the scarf. Here it is so far, with the pants, temporary belt and blaster holster on my dress form.

The State of the Costume as of this morning, side view. I have not added the 3 tabs to the back yet. I need to figure out what sort of buckle things that need to attach to them. I am assuming that another trip to JoAnne may be in store soon, because I do not have any white two-piece back pack buckles and I think that is what should be attached there. Backpack frame is coming soon......stay tuned. Today I may be working on my belt concept and the gloves and the greeblies and the hat pouches and belt pouch........

....and then I spent the past few hours searching all over this forum and gathering even more reference pictures of all of the other HTT's builds......all saved to my computer......

...stay tuned for more......
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great!! Shocked Cool
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the great work, Kathy. The jacket looks fantastic!

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't get a whole lot done today. Mostly research. Then I started working with some brown paper to sort-of follow the directions for the gauntlets on the gloves. Phyllis made hers in 2 pieces. I thought about this and then came up with this one-piece. In theory, it should work. I was having an issue though with the wrist opening being too narrow for my hand to go through. I think I will work that out by adding little zippers. Here are the materials that I am going to work with.

These are the extra gloves that Phyllis gave me. They do fit nicely. The fabric slightly stretchy. Also pictured is the same grey canvas material that Phyllis used for her gauntlets. This fabric has no stretchiness to it at all. This will create a problem when I try to join the materials. The wrist opening of the gauntlet will need to be much larger than the wrist of the glove in order to accommodate my wrist.
I thought of elastic, but the grey canvas is very heavy and I know that it wouldn't look right......
....zippers. Little zippers! I had bought them a long time ago to perhaps use in a snowtrooper coat to make the wrists of that as tight as possible. However it turned out that I did not need them there because there was indeed a lot of give in the material that I used for that.

I am going to think about building these in my sleep tonight. Then I'll try to do it for real tomorrow.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up this morning thinking about sewing these today.
After sewing them (in my mind), there is one thing holding me back, the commpad piece. Phyllis's directions call for a framed window opening in the left gauntlet and that the commpad greeblie be attached with velcro. My hesitation is that if I build it like this, will that commpad greeblie be sticking out too much??

It varies in thickness from about 1/2 to 1" thick. Add sticky velcro + more velcro on the gantlet + the sleeve being tucked into the gauntlet + the curvature of your arm = this piece is way out there! I am afraid that it will get knocked off way too easy.

I saw how one fellow on these forums drilled headless screws into the piece of his commpad piece and then used nuts to keep them in place on the inside of the gauntlet. This is a very good solution to this problem.
However it will involve using power tools.

The 'sewing solution' that I came up with would be to add thickness to all other parts of the gauntlets (except where the commpad would be).
This may or may not work. I don't know if it will make the gauntlets look too thick.

Maybe I will try both ways to see what will look better.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad that "eventually" finally arrived...

it will be totally awesome to have another Hoth Trooper in the area...

I am also looking forward to the Thanksgiving Day Parade this year....with some luck...

we will have at least 2 Hoth Trench Troopers
and
a Hoth Commander for the parade...

Smile

This costume has a mind numbing array of things to make...
I knew that when I started my HTT many years ago that it was too much for me to address alone...
I knew I would get frustrated and give up...
so...
I commissioned the best hat maker in the Star Wars Galaxy...
that would be you Kathy...
to make the hat and the pattern for it...
the hat is iconic...
and that pattern has been copied and sent all over the world to other prospective HTT's.

Very Happy

The most mind numbing challenge was the backpack...

I sent this photo of how I did my pack to Kathy...
it might help someone else....
at the time, there was no one else making this piece...
so
I winged it

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backpack = mind-numbing for sure!

I saved a bunch of photos of yours and everyone else's that I could find in this forum!

It looks like there is some minor variations between each one.
For "acceptance" purposes, would it be OK to have some minor variations, as long as it looks a great deal like everyone else's?
I don't think that I will be able to find exactly the same stuff.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minor variations are fine....

Even in the movie...some of the packs had a white hoses...
some hoses were black...

and...

it is REALLY hard to make anything out...

so...
close works...

the hardpack is an optional item...
because they are difficult....

as per the costume standard:

Formal Requirements - choose two:

(Unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm)
1.Rank badge on vest

2.Comm device/earpiece on hat

3.DH-17 blaster (either RFT version or modified Hoth version)

4.White holster

5.Hoth Rifle

6.Backpack/Hardpack - canvas covered boxes with black greeblies on a frame

7.Tan fabric pouch

8.Tan or black scarf

as noted...
it really did take me several years to complete the hard pack...
and I wore the costume with just the vest for a time.....
but...
honestly...

the hard pack is worth the effort...I think it really completes the costume...
but it is not required...
it is one of the items on the optional list of which you can choose 2 of the 8 items listed.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got busy on this part of the costume today. After thinking about these a lot, I decided that they would be better if they were lined with fabric, rather than trying to use bias tape for the edges. I remembered seeing some grey-ish satin-backed crepe scraps in my fabric archive. I searched and found! Here I have the pieces of the canvas fabric pinned to the lining pieces.

I decided to go with the 'window pane' for the comm pad piece on the left gauntlet. If I need to , I can re-do these some day. Here are the pieces for the left gauntlet: a small piece of wide velcro, the window (back view) the canvas fabric and the lining fabric.

First, I sewed on the velcro piece. Then I placed the window piece over the velcro and sewed that down, inner opening first. I pinned the lining piece in place, sewed it, then serged it, then pressed it.

Then I turned the pieces inside out and pinned the seam. I sewed it about 1" from the edge for the little zippers. These are 4" zippers and the length of the gauntlets are about 4 1/2". After I basted the seams, I pressed the seam open and flat on my sleeve board. Then I started to pin the little zippers in place. I changed the foot on my machine to the adjustable zipper foot.

And this is what the gauntlets look like on the gloves and over my jacket sleeve. The right one did not line up exactly. I will hand sew both of them a little, so that the openings stay closed when the zippers are zipped, but this is exactly what I was thinking of sewing.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH yeah! I cut the gauntlet pieces out of the canvas fabric ON THE BIAS!
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really like your gauntlets!!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phyllis! Very Happy This is how I (constantly) pre-construct things in my sleep for nights and then build it during the day after I try to work out all of the possible problems before-hand (in my sleep).

Today's project will be trying out my concept for the belt. Here is the 4 lengths of upholstery cording ~1/2" in diameter / length = what goes around my waist + several inches double overlap, lying on top of my fabric on the bias.

The plan is to sew each length of the cording into the fabric, using my zipper foot. Then finish the fabric around the back of the belt. I haven't quite worked out how exactly it will fit into the buckle. In fact, I may need to use an other buckle for this. I am thinking of a belt buckle blank, like one from Tandy, that I currently do not have.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the state of the costume as of this morning (back) I got a lot done yesterday. I sewed in the center back strap that attached to the inner back belt of the vest. The cord belt is currently not finished here. I made some loops to hold the outer back belt straps the will eventually be holding the back-pack.

(BTW, the back-pack frame is supposed to be delivered today) Very Happy

Here is the state of the costume as of this morning (front). I sewed on the velcro that will hold the greeblies onto the front of the vest. Here is the cord belt (not complete, hanging on the dress form. more.........

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was thinking about how to make the cord-concept belt, I was thinking about how to eventually connect that belt to a buckle, and the belt buckle greeblie that I would need to make some how. I remembered how I made the belt buckle greeblie for my Hoth Trooper doll and then I had an idea! Thumb tacks! I had 1 beat-up button cover that fell off of a Princess Leia costume belt lying around in my junk collection.....I found an other one in some other stuff. I had some beat-up small thumb tacks on my refridgerator, some silver sculpy.......and then while searching through some of my other junk, I found an other belt buckle that I used to have on an old Jedi belt.............I decided to start on the greeblies, because I needed to see what paint I had already and what I might need to purchase. I filled the backs of the button covers with silver sculpy and put them in the oven.

Here (upper left) is the old Jedi belt buckle I found in my junk. In order to add the velcro to the vest, I would need to figure out how big of pieces I would need to put on the vest and in order to do that, I would need to build the mounting pieces for the grenade greeblies. One of the things that I do not have at home and will have to buy are the small squares that go on either side and in between the grenades. I was thinking a mile a minute and thought of sintra! Yes, that is what I would use for the grenade mountings, because I can bend sintra!

Here are some temporary scraps of sintra that I am using to space the pieces in order to figure out how big to cut the mounting strips out of the sintra. I decided to make them 4 1/4" x 1 1/2". I cut them out and sanded them, along with all of the other greeblie pieces that I had. Since I am going to fasten all of these onto the costume with velcro, I really roughed up the backs so that the sticky velcro will stay on. I may also use bolts for the heavier ones.

I curved the sintra strips slightly, so they will lay better on the vest and then I primered all of the pieces. The baked button covers are by the old belt buckle (upper right)

Then after the primer was dry, I applied the base coat of paint to the pieces. AND then I put these away so the paint has a chance to dry while I am working on other things.......The front & back sides of the button covers & the old belt buckle are at the top of this shot.

.......and then late last night, I cut the pin backs off of the beat-up thumb tacks and glued them onto the button covers. I was able to get one of the sculpy cores out of one of the button covers and I glued that in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: