About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f521c15630b9cd969be342dabedd7ec1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

All Things Hoth! (formerly "join the quest for knowledg
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
Aw Sad

Maybe they'll be up again in the near future!

you never know..
but..
I have had the "Swans goggles" saved search up on e-bay for years...
and

this is only the second hit...
the other hit was a newer goggle...

this on was the real deal...

shoot me

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Buzzard ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I'm slowly (s-l-o-w-l-y) working away on this costume and thought I post some progress pics.

My gloves are finished. When I bought them, they had a black logo printed on the gauntlet and I was unable to completely remove them. I ended up (well, my wife ended up) unpicking them, turning them inside out and resewing them together. Problem solved. Smile

The following pics show how I attached the wrist comm to the glove.

First, I took some 3mm thick screws and cut the head off them.

Second, I drilled holes in the back of the wrist comm. I superglued the screws into these holes with 4mm sticking out.

Third, I lined up and punched matching holes into the glove.

Finally, I attached the wrist comm with screws hidden inside the glove, and voilà! Job complete!

More to come shortly!

Cheers!

Buzzard
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good....

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like a little better match then some other Goggles. Just have to add a amber film to them.

Emgo model # EM76-49551

Swans Goggles used in ESB

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find!

TKvanB (Kathy van Beuningen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to find a pair of these goggles!

....in fact, I think I will buy them right now on eBay.

Here is my newly completed HRT hat & holster for the blaster.

Hopefully we won't have an other blizzard early next week, because I am hopefully going to be going fabric shopping on Monday. I will try to buy enough to make most of the soft parts of the uniform, so I can work on that for a while.

www.midwestgarrison.com-we know drama
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKvanB wrote:

....in fact, I think I will buy them right now on eBay.

Yep $15.99 shipped, can't go wrong. I'll be completing a Hanger Trooper this year hopefully. Need the Cap and vest. I could probably have had it done already if my friend found the time, but I want to make the cap and vest myself. Also want to save as much money as I can on it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking a lot about building this costume at the MWG banquet last night, I decided to use my momentum today to go to Vogue Fabrics in Evanston today to look for fabric and stuff. I ended up purchasing almost 10 yards of a 54 - 60" wide off white fabric and 12 3/4 yards of a khaki colored fabric that was in a very narrow bolt. (probably around 45" wide) I brought the fabric samples from Phyllis with me. The colors are an extremely close match, however the fabric is not as heavy. I bought all of these fabrics that they had, because the selection at Vogue is different every day and these fabric were designer close-outs at $1.99 per yard. So it is nearly impossible to buy a matching fabric if you end up not having enough. I will probably make my own quilted fabric out of this so it will be an exact match and I should have plenty to make the trench trooper vest and cover the back pack when I get that far.
I also found a belt buckle that might work and some furniture cording that I will use to try to make that belt. I also bought a 7" zipper for the pants and 2 giant spools of matching thread. Now I will have plenty to do for a while if and when we get snowed in again.

Will post pictures soon.

www.midwestgarrison.com-we know drama
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back 20 some pages already, reading all of the posts and looking at the pictures. Unfortunately some of the photos sont work anymore. I did look at all of the photos in the HRT Yahoo group files.

THANKS in advance for all of the help!

Here is the fabric and stuff that I bought yesterday, plus all of the other fabric and stuff that I have been accumulating for a few years now in anticipation of eventually building this costume. Eventually is starting today.

Here is Phyllis 's fabric piece (plus the note ) lying on top of the 9 3/4 yards of off-white fabric that I bought yesterday. It is 54" wide and there is a LOT of it, so I will be able to use this for the vest & backpack, plus the inevitable mistakes. I might even line the jacket too. I know, it's going to be HOT......

Here is the (grey) piece of fabric that Phyllis gave me for glove gauntlets. I ran the edges through my serger this morning, so it wouldn't totally unravel in the washer. then I washed it. It is 100% cotton and did shrink. Better now than after I finish, right? Also pictured is the wrist greeblie, the small piece of pre-quilted off-white fabric that Phyllis sent, the belt buckle I found at Vogue yesterday and some furniture cording that I plan to try to use to make the belt.

Here is a close-up of the belt buckle. Phyllis, do you think that will work??

Here is the 12+ yards of khaki fabric that I bought at Vogue yesterday. The bolt is only 36" wide. SO, it will go relatively fast. There is more than enough for 2 pairs of pants and then some, in case I make mistakes.

It is lying next to the pre-quilted tan fabric that Phyllis gave me that the top of her jacket is made out of. Now that I am looking at it here in the house under the indoor lights, the colors do look different. The colors were nearly identical under florescent light.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...the buckle should work depending on the size of the greeblie you have...tough to tell how large the buckle is in the photo..

Interesting that you chose cording for the belt...
the original looks almost like just a fabric belt with horizontal lines stitched in...

I made my first belt out of duck cloth...and stitched in the lines...
it really didn't hold up well with hanging the holster and a pouch on it....even with a heavyweight stabilizer....it would just fold over...
so...
I tossed the fabric belt and made one of 2" Nylon strapping.....

lol...
yeah....the color of things...
I am beginning to think that just about anything causes color to shift....

and....lol..
I HAD lining in my jacket...
I eventually took it out...
too dam hot...

Wink

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to try to do for the belt -- this idea came to me last night.....is to cut fabric on the bias and sew the cording (very tightly) into it, wrap it around and over the cording. I may need to sew webbing onto the ends, so that it can go into the bucket, but in theory (as I am envisioning it) it should work.

Related question, what have you used for the greeblie on the buckle? I saw the discussion earlier in this thread concerning whether it is like the snowtrooper belt piece buckle, but from all of the pictures I have seen, it is not exactly like it. It does have the 3 smaller circles, but they seem to be a lot smaller on the HRT belt.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the greeblie on the buckle...

very true...
when I began this project I really could not tell what it was...
poor eyesight and poor reference photos...

I thought that it looked a good bit like a Snowtrooper greeblie...

in the years that have passed since...
you are correct in that it is NOT the same greeblie...

similar...

but not exact...

also in the years that have passed, I have learned to sculpt, mold and cast stuff...
so...
making one more accurate is on my "to do" list...
but
to be totally honest...

my "to do" list is sooooooo long...I have a feeling that I will never get to it...
damn full time job really puts a crimp in my style....

lol...

Wink

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done in the past 2 days:

Here are the pieces of fabric that I cut out for the quilted knees for the pants. I have all of the pins in place so the fabric and batting doesn't move around when I sew all of the diagonal lines through the pieces. I am using a combination of these two pants patterns, modified, to make my pants. I really like the waist and fly of the Suitability pattern and I am using the McCalls for the shape of the leg.

Here I am sewing the lines through the 2 pieces of fabric that will be on the knees.

Here are the quilted knee pieces lying over the pants fronts & pattern.

Guess what showed up in the mail yesterday while I was working on my HRT pants????
I know I need to change the strap and the lens needs to be green or amber.

So what material do you use for lenses? Where do you get this material?
The plastic seems fairly thin and is pretty easy to remove.

Here is the front of the pants with the quilted knee pieces in place. Then after a few more hours of sewing & construction.....

This is what the pants look like this morning. I only need to install a button hole & button and then this pair is done. I may eventually make another pair of these pants in a heavier material.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goggles came with amber lenses....
so...
All I had to do was remove the strap that came with the goggles and put in plain white...
and I cut the huge "frame" of foam from the goggle frame.

I really don't know what to tell you on adding the color to the lens....

I had been keeping my eye on Ebay for you for amber lens goggles...but few came up and they were no where near the right shape..

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the boots / gaiters / Hoth footwear shown here in these pictures the same as what the HTT's wear? And if so, could they be grey? (not tan)

rogue_artist wrote:
About the gaitors, and goggle lenses, etc........

Yeah, the eyelet thing makes me think it was an altered pair of existing gaitors. But for our purposes, may I show you from the Magic of Myth tour.........

page 166:

In this picture and in a few others, I have noticed that they clearly do open in the front, like a regular shoe or boot that you would normally lace up where there is a tonge piece that lies under the laces. In this picture, the lighter colored edges around the sides was put there to cover up the lace-holes. The 3 straps hold the boot on.

I am thinking about perhaps making the boots in this fashion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 46 of 48

Jump to: