Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a495fcc79f6b072c25c9f482cca1ffd1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Future of Y-wing standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Future of Y-wing standards Reply with quote

Question to all costume judges in this catagory,

I have recently begun preliminary work on a Y-wing pilot costume. As I am sure many have noticed, the new close up pictures in the Star Wars Costumes of the Original Trilogy book show nice details of all of the pilot costumes, many of which are not consistent with the language in the current standards, as they are written.

Obviously the vest has a few differences that will need to be worked out but there are other small items I am curious about, one that comes to mind is the shoulder pockets on the flight suit. The current standard mentions having two, one on each arm. The new pictures clearly depict only one, muli-layered pocket on the left arm.

In such cases, are members who are working kn such projects expected to follow the current standards or the new pictures?

Just to be clear, I am not only asking about what to do with the shoulder pockets, I am talking about the standard as a whole including other items who's phyisical appearence is not consistant with the current language in the standards (ie: spats, etc. ).
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now either style would be acceptable, whether you follow the Rebel Legion standards or the examples in the Costumes book. So if you wanted to do a code cylinder pocket then you could, or if you wanted to make the accurate pencil pocket then you could do that instead. At least for now.

Once the standards are updated, whenever that will be, costumes made with the current standards will not be acceptable. So, basically, if you make a costume matching the current standards then you would want to get it approved before the new standards are published, which I'm sure you would have plenty of time to do. Personally, I would just go for the more accurate style and then you wont have to worry about it.

On a side note, I have a pattern for the Y-wing/B-wing arm pocket (they have the same pocket). I'm just doing some cleaning up on it and making sure that all of the dimensions match up.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great if you could post a pic of the shoulder pocket. I think I have it figured out (looks to be three stepped down layers of the same thing) but a second opinion would not hurt.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I plan to post the pattern once I get it finished up. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: