Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=627a335fab9e8c01ae411998577f03c6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Image Reference and CRL Resources, TFA - Rey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirenescence (Alexis Torres)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, in another thread it was said that the standards for Rey would be posted in about two weeks. I just started on my Rey costume and I'm basing it off of research threads on here. Should I hold off on doing much else and wait for the standards to be posted? I already started on her long wraps, they're cotton gauze, and her pants.
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirenescence wrote:
I have a question, in another thread it was said that the standards for Rey would be posted in about two weeks. I just started on my Rey costume and I'm basing it off of research threads on here. Should I hold off on doing much else and wait for the standards to be posted? I already started on her long wraps, they're cotton gauze, and her pants.

You can work off the proposed standards found in this thread - the judges are using it for now as a general guideline in judging: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73190

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a couple photos that imply two belts - please forgive the pixelating but my scanner is still not talking properly to the computer.

The proposed standard is allowing for a one piece version and for a two belt version - again as long as it looks correct - that is what counts - not how it may or may not have been actually made.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/stardancer1914/Force%20Awakens%20costume%20exhibit/IMG_zpsbovopgt9.jpg

This photo show a definite shadow edge which can only be caused by two belts overlapping each other.

and

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/stardancer1914/Force%20Awakens%20costume%20exhibit/star-wars-force-awakens-rey-bb8-daisy-ridley1_zpsfdohmbl6.jpgoriginal_zpsddlocelq.jpg

Note that the line curves which again implies one belt overlapping the other.

• UCGR - DXO 2015

Last edited by stardancer1914 (Star Dancer) on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Shaxell ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know what that first picture is from...but the second one is CLEARLY one belt. As it was in the movie. The movie should be the primary reference.

TDE: Darth Atrius TDE269
MMCC: Gar Kyr'am 1085
501st: CT 32782 "Sinker"
WOLFPACK AZ
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaxell wrote:
i don't know what that first picture is from...but the second one is CLEARLY one belt. As it was in the movie. The movie should be the primary reference.

The first picture is a closeup of the belt from the cover of Star Wars Finn and Rey escape which is a Sticker Storybook by Disney with shots from the movie. It is the screenshot photo of Finn and Rey running through the market being chased by the stormtroopers.

• UCGR - DXO 2015

Shaxell ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it is this one:

that isn't a shot from the movie. it is a digital painting.

I am going to have to say that an image like that should not overrule a movie shot that shows one belt.

WOLFPACK AZ
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaxell wrote:

I am going to have to say that an image like that should not overrule a movie shot that shows one belt.

It is not overruling the movie, under the charter it is an acceptable reference and is why the proposed standard is allowing for either a two belt version or a one piece version. This allows for more potential members to make the costume as many cannot afford the amount of leather to make the one piece version but they can afford two belts which when tied together properly look correct.

• UCGR - DXO 2015

Shaxell ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a hard time justifying that. If you can't afford it, don't do it. don't make the costume look off because of a sticker book drawing and use price as an excuse. All throughout the movie it is one belt. The details are off on that Finn vs the movie Finn too but I will bet they are not going to change that around.

Movie is one belt. Therefor the standard should be one belt.

and as far as cheaper. 1 strip of leather can make 1 and 2 belts. so it would be the same price.

WOLFPACK AZ
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stardancer1914 wrote:
Shaxell wrote:

It is not overruling the movie, under the charter it is an acceptable reference and is why the proposed standard is allowing for either a two belt version or a one piece version. This allows for more potential members to make the costume as many cannot afford the amount of leather to make the one piece version but they can afford two belts which when tied together properly look correct.

Yeah, so from where I sit also as a member of RLGS, price is definitely not a valid argument- either you meet the standards or you don't, and if you can't afford to do it correctly, save up your pennies until you can. A piece of leather big enough to make this belt costs roughly the same amount as an X-Wing pilot chest box, yet we don't see those as optional items. It's also possible you could make this belt out of the same size of leather you'd need to make a Leia belt, and they have pretty strict rules on the shape of that belt. You can't just go out and buy a belt blank and expect it to pass.

Also, as far as digital paintings go, I think that falls under the same rules as the old EU costumes, in which we'd need at least two references to call it valid. One painting does not a deciding factor make.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Celestia Delegation Leader
Shaxell ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
stardancer1914 wrote:
Shaxell wrote:

Yeah, so from where I sit also as a member of RLGS, price is definitely not a valid argument- either you meet the standards or you don't, and if you can't afford to do it correctly, save up your pennies until you can. A piece of leather big enough to make this belt costs roughly the same amount as an X-Wing pilot chest box, yet we don't see those as optional items. It's also possible you could make this belt out of the same size of leather you'd need to make a Leia belt, and they have pretty strict rules on the shape of that belt. You can't just go out and buy a belt blank and expect it to pass.

Also, as far as digital paintings go, I think that falls under the same rules as the old EU costumes, in which we'd need at least two references to call it valid. One painting does not a deciding factor make.

agreed. Going further on the price point, my leather guy that made a Rey belt said he could make about 10 standard belts out of the same slab and 2 rey style belts with the curves.

Using cost as an excuse to drop the standards down just lowers the quality and hard work of those who worked hard for it. If you can't afford a TK or Vader, you can't use a rubies. Save up and make it later. Smile

WOLFPACK AZ
Shaxell ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking further into this....are we changing up the cuff as well and allowing it to be greyish silver? and the boots can be standard uggs?

I think you can see where the problem lies. Artist interpretation is not a good idea as far as standars IMO. You have too must leeway in artistic licensing meet standards. Even Finn's jacket is different on the cover.

WOLFPACK AZ
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a Rey costume for the premiere and did my first troop with the 501st in Bakersfield as a guest and unofficial member. I've made a lot of improvements and did another troop with them today. I have a bunch of new and improved materials ready to go for a better costume, but from what I'm reading there really aren't any set guidelines yet so I really don't want to start anything new.

My question is, are LCJs approving this costume yet? And will the three versions of the costume be approveable? Full scavenger (headwrap, goggles, gloves, bags), scavenger, end 'Jedi' costume.

Right now I'm using what has been posted on the RPF which has all of the info here plus more. (That's where the belt diagram came from.) And am wondering what I should do in the meantime. If the costume is being approved, I'll work on it, if not then I'll wait and get things ready. I've just read everything and am not sure what's going on. Thanks!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PernillaPalpatine wrote:
I made a Rey costume for the premiere and did my first troop with the 501st in Bakersfield as a guest and unofficial member. I've made a lot of improvements and did another troop with them today. I have a bunch of new and improved materials ready to go for a better costume, but from what I'm reading there really aren't any set guidelines yet so I really don't want to start anything new.

My question is, are LCJs approving this costume yet? And will the three versions of the costume be approveable? Full scavenger (headwrap, goggles, gloves, bags), scavenger, end 'Jedi' costume.

Right now I'm using what has been posted on the RPF which has all of the info here plus more. (That's where the belt diagram came from.) And am wondering what I should do in the meantime. If the costume is being approved, I'll work on it, if not then I'll wait and get things ready. I've just read everything and am not sure what's going on. Thanks!

Yes the costumes are being approved. If you do the final movie outfit Rey that is under Jedi. The scavenger outfit is under Rebel Supporters.

Many of the accessories are optional to the basic outfit. You can read the proposed standard here which is what the judges are using as a guideline: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73190

• UCGR - DXO 2015

gallica (laure)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last comments about the belt. There is no doubt it is in one piece. So far, I've seen none clear pics or screenshot from the movie that justify it's in two pieces. There is a lot of screenshot where we can see it's made in one piece actually.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o524/Gallica_Fiction/REY%20SCAVENGER%20COSTUME%20MATERIAL/EcQcR0q_zpsfhpcrpe8.jpg

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o524/Gallica_Fiction/REY%20SCAVENGER%20COSTUME%20MATERIAL/Reys_speeder_with_gear_zpsotmkjiir.png

I think the standard needs to be more precise with actual screenshot from the movie (and only from it). Promotional pics are accepted by the charter, but are also often photoshoped, so it's nothing close to the real costume.
Even costumes on different exhibition don't look the same... the belt is orange in one place, brown on another costume; gloves don't have the same pattern, etc. Reference should be ONLY from the movie. This is what Daisy Ridley is wearing that should matter.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is to post photos of references for TFA Rey. All references - print, games, toys, and/or movie are acceptable per the current Rebel Legion charter. All discussion for the costume standards for Rey occurred during the Standard approval process. This is not the forum to discuss it further. Agree to disagree and move on, thank you.

• UCGR - DXO 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: