Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=60ee81ce66c679a1a5d490ca661ff136Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Weathering flight suit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 9 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my flak vest, I used a palette of drugstore eye shadow in shades of grays and browns. I used a big soft brush ... a watercolor "mop" but used dry ... and dusted color between the ribs and on the edges.

You could also use a large blush or kabuki style brush. You just want something with a large enough surface to be able to strategically grind in some "dirt". Smile

Proverbs 3:5-6

Check out our new Facebook Fan Page! https://www.facebook.com/BespinBaseGA
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryy Jacobi wrote:
On my flak vest, I used a palette of drugstore eye shadow in shades of grays and browns. I used a big soft brush ... a watercolor "mop" but used dry ... and dusted color between the ribs and on the edges.

You could also use a large blush or kabuki style brush. You just want something with a large enough surface to be able to strategically grind in some "dirt". Smile

Interesting...
I started soiling my suit (NOT from the inside though... "Don't let these thugs intimidate you!!"), using various applications of watered-down acrylic paints. This was suggested after asking my theatre friend what she used to distress stage costumes. Art acrylics should set and not easily wash out, in case the suit gets wet. I'll post pics here soon....
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:

Interesting...
I started soiling my suit (NOT from the inside though... "Don't let these thugs intimidate you!!"), using various applications of watered-down acrylic paints. This was suggested after asking my theatre friend what she used to distress stage costumes. Art acrylics should set and not easily wash out, in case the suit gets wet. I'll post pics here soon....
I'm thinking of going the acrylics way, too. How did you apply the paint? With a spray bottle?

How well does the webbing take the water-down paint? Webbing is plastic and is usually made so it doesn't absorb water so I wasn't sure how well the watered-down paint would adhere to it.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used thinned acrylic on mine. The main technique was to dap an old T-shirt in the very-thinned and wipe it where I want dirt. It goes on thin, and you build it up realistically. I also did some spattering around the cuffs of the legs, and I some spot that I let set for 10 seconds and then tried to scrub out with an old tooth brush. The effect is of an old stain that the owner tried to scrub out.

I use Liquitex Raw Umber as my main color. It's the color of used motor oil.... ideal for this application. It sets up pretty well and you can wash the suit by hand and keep the weathering in tact (mostly), but it's easy to touch up if needed, just looks even more layered.

Some examples from my suit:

Col-Mas (Scott)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dye from my gunbelt started to rub off around the waist and the leg straps. So once I had the black rings on the lower half, I had to weather the top half to match. I weathered parts that might normally get dirty like elbows, pocket flaps, and just a couple other random spots.

To do this, I rubbed those parts around my fireplace to get a layer of soot. Then into the wash. After coming out of the dryer, most of the dirt is gone. But there is still a hint of dirt that is deep in the fabric which wouldn't wash out. I also rubbed a few spots on the flak vest.

Speaking of the vest, a friend gave me a tip to soak it in water with several tea bags. If the tea bags are in contact, it might leave a darker splotch. The vest is still white. It's just not bright shiny white.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's okay to post in this thread even though it's a bit old...

I found a cool tip over on the Rebel Infantry board from someone who weathered his Endor soft cap using a product called Distress Ink (pic here). I did it on my Endor soft cap too and really liked how it turned out. It wouldn't work for weathering an entire flight suit or flak vest, but it could be useful for smaller or more detailed areas on them.

I bought mine at Michael's in the scrapbooking/ink stamp section. Mostly I used Black Soot with some Walnut Stain for variety, and just applied it with a Q-tip. It is ink, though, so I doubt it'll ever wash out once it's on. Because of that I went fairly light on my soft cap and it doesn't show up well in pictures, but I'm planning on applying more now that I'm more comfortable with it. I'll probably try some on my flak vest too.
Blue Leader Canada (Doug Cottrell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is very heavily weathered to match the look of ANH. It was weathered with acrylics as well as rattle can paints. Some dry brushing. Some misting.

In person it looks dirtier than in the photo. You have to overdo it a bit in order for the weathering to show in a photo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: