Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f907736c19a74e83d52ff8561acf8464Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Weathering flight suit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfhound (Matt Ragan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Weathering flight suit Reply with quote

Howdy, I'm a new guy so please bear with me. Smile

I've spent a bit searching and lots of threads on weathering helmets... a thread on NOT weathering Jedi robes so much... but still I cannot seem to find out why it is that the orange flight suit seems to be "as is" with little to no weathering/fabric distressing/stain/fullers earth/etc.

Is there a CRL prohibition or just a general preference to have grungy helmets but near-pristine flight suits?
Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a specific prohibition against weathering a flight suit, but I'd suggest caution in weathering it. The reason I say that is that to my best recollection, the screen used kits didn't really show all that much in the way of weathering (I think... I've just found an excuse to go watch ANH again!)
Obviously, the more you wear it, the more weathering it will take naturally; the trick is finding a happy medium if you're going to do it manually.

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wear it. Mr. Green

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wolfhound (Matt Ragan)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks y'all. My Mercs Mando kit has heavy weathering (soft and rigid) so I'm probably predisposed to "more" than "less" so I'll take the advice to heart. Laughing

I was thinking of trying to replicate some of the weathering I've seen on surplus 60s/early 70s era US Navy "Indian Orange" flight suits. It just seemed jarring to me that the Rebel helmet has such heavy weathering but the suits were nearly pristine.

This one is great, you can see the battery acid holes (which I wouldn't do) and stains from coffee, various aircraft fluids, and who knows what else. I guess this would be "heavy" Smile I love the grunge around the thighs where the kneeboard and whatever else would have been.

This one I guess would be "light" (mainly some fading and wear around the seams and zippers). Obviously it's not the "Indian Orange" of the prior decade, but it shows the weathering better since it's OD.
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfhound wrote:
It just seemed jarring to me that the Rebel helmet has such heavy weathering but the suits were nearly pristine.

There are probably many good reasons why the helmets would look much more rough than the flight suits.
If the movie scenarios were real and you think about it, the helmets probably wouldn't get as much cleaning or maintenance as the clothing or other gear would.
The chest boxes are a type of life support system so they would be much higher on the list of things to keep maintained.
It's easy to expect anyone who had been around a long time and survived a lot of battles to have heavy weathering.
But what about the other helmets?
I am sure that Luke's helmet was used by at least one or more other individuals before it was handed to Luke.
Luke was brand new to this "Rebellion" stuff.
He had never flown an X-wing before. The only experience he had was flying a T-16 (said to be very similar to flying an X-wing.)
In the literature, the majority of the X-wing pilots actually trained in T-16's. How many of those helmets could have been used over and over for training pilots, but then became needed in real battles?
The majority of everything the Rebellion had was old hand-me-down stuff that they had collected. How many of those helmets had seen action before the Rebellion even got started?

David L.
Rebel_Grunt ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can clearly see weathering on all the pilot's flight suits in the Battle of Yavin IV mission briefing scene.

Usually pilots are depicted in less them optimal lights i.e. dark hangers and in cockpit scenes. The mission briefing is relatively well lit.

High Rez version:
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130306005431/starwars/images/5/5d/DeathStar_plans.png

I plan on weathering mine using the black shoe polish method which is basically a dry brushing technique using a boot buffing brush where you have removed nearly all of the polish off the bristles and then flight rake it over the fabric areas you want coloured.
Wolfhound (Matt Ragan)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel_Grunt that's a fantastic pic, glad you posted the high resolution one.

EDIT for me to reference later:

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd just do some ground rolling/crawling in the costume and then put it in the washer. Do that a few times and you get some natural weathering. Smile

But it will be a while before I get to that point...

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also see weathering on the snowspeeder pilot suits in ESB. It's most noticeable on the flak vests, but you can see some "dirt" on the jackets, too. Smile

Anyway, I've also been looking for a good way to weather my flightsuit. I haven't found much yet, and no one in my base has been willing to help, so it hasn't gone so well lately. But I keep trying to find some decent and easy guides... Heh heh...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jello (Tony)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having watched ANH, I stand corrected... I'm going to have to resist the urge to weather my flightsuit to the same degree my scout and snowie are though...

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.
BobaFiend (Austin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely add some level of weathering to your flightsuit. For me, it was enough to use course sandpaper (100 grit) on the heavy-wear areas like knees, elbows, collar, etc. I then went back in with shoe polish and added some black weathering to the flightsuit.

If you have an airbrush that seems to be the best way to get that black "space dust" look that everything seems to have in Star Wars. You can get really nice natural looking gradients shooting Createx textile paint or fabric dye.

Here's a really in-depth tutorial that details a few different methods.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f34/weathering-tutorial-comments-critiques-welcome-23363/
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
Just wear it. Mr. Green

This is the right answer.

Is there a child nearby you can hand it to for a few minutes?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this tread, and it piqued my interest because I am thinking about how I'm going to dirty-up my TFA X-wing suit and vest. I had started on my A-wing vest and hose with some wiped-up grime from my car's engine, but that didn't seem enough. The grime on the TFA stuff especially is more realistic, and looks like they had someone professionally stain the low spots where all the stitching is, between the ribs on the vest, etc.

In historical reenacting, some folks would use tea or coffee to age things... this might be something to try. However, the acidic tannins in tea tend to break down fibers, but if you use polyester thread, probably not an issue. Paint in lieu of grime on your suit might be the best though, as you'll likely want to wash the suit after sweating in it.... no one likes "that guy", especially on a public troop! Fabreeze only goes so far.... Smile

I think I might try a series of tests on scrap fabric, and post here the results.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the best way to weather a flight suit is to wear it to a couple of air shows (and wear it all 3 days of the show) because there's no grungier form of dirty than air show dirty. Between the heat, the dust, the aircraft exhaust, the food vendor smoke, and accidentally standing too close to an air-cooled engine, you'll have plenty of "smudge" to be realistic.

I'm glad I found this thread. Now I have a reason to not wash my suit!
allonsy_slayergirl (Lauren Fairley)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an amazing thread... I have been thinking my flight suit is too clean, same with the flak vest. Would be great to rub a little dirt in there and make it look worn.

Please let us know if anyone found a good way to weather!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: