Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3ca6ae0e5e7226d375f138ed42c0e7feMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WVU Star Wars Club
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schraeds (Matt Schraeder)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: WVU Star Wars Club Reply with quote

WVU has a Star Wars Club. I'm the faculty advisor for it.

The next meeting will be Thursday, October 22 at 7:00 PM in 306 Armstrong Hall. I'm not sure what we will do yet, but the poll that we posted is leaning towards watching "The Empire Strikes Back."

There will be another meeting on Tuesday, October 27 at 7:00 PM in 306 Armstrong Hall. We will be discussing costuming (appropriate before Halloween). I will have my TB and Jedi, and the members are invited to bring what they have.

Anyone else who is free is welcomed to come (to both meetings), as well. I know that it's a bit of a drive for most of you, but I wanted to offer.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turn out for the WVU Star Wars Club meeting last night was disappointing (we only had 7-8 people), but they were really interested. I don’t know if the students weren’t interested in learning how to build costumes or if Tuesday was just a bad night with work and classes. We had 10-15 during the last 2 meetings (a Wednesday and a Thursday).

Mike Boyer (501st and RL) brought his 2 boys, and Tolga Akdogan (501st, RL, Mando) and AJ Blosser (Mando, 501st cadet) also came. We all brought at least pieces of our different costumes, and talked about the process of building them and getting approved.

Three of the students seemed immediately interested in joining (one has actually applied to the Carida Academy already, and 2 had costumes for comic cons). The others asked a lot of questions, too. They might join in the future, but school is the priority now.

We will have a showing of “Return of the Jedi” in a few weeks and a trivia night right before Thanksgiving break. I don’t know the exact dates, but will post them when I find out. We might also do a Star Wars marathon right before Final Exams begin (probably on Wednesday, December 9).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They published one of the pictures from our photo shoot in WVU Magazine. I'm the Biker Scout, Tolga Akdogan is the Mando: http://wvumag.wvu.edu/departments/matter-of-fact/fall-2015

The next meeting will be Wednesday, November 11 at 7:00 in Armstrong 306. We will watch "Return of the Jedi."

We will have a trivia contest on Thursday, November 19 at 7:00 in Armstrong 306.

All are welcome for both.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched “Return of the Jedi” during our November 11 meeting. We had about 8 students, as usual.

We did Star Wars Jeopardy! at our November 19 meeting. Twelve students showed up, so we split them into 3 teams. They played a sound clip on their phones from StarWarsSounds to buzz in. Two of the teams did very well, but the other one had tentative members who were slow to buzz in. There were only about 5 questions that no one could answer, so they knew their stuff. The questions weren’t easy, either. I would attach the questions, but I don't think that I can. The winning team would have won about $30,000 if it was real, and the second team had over $10,000 before getting Final Jeopardy! wrong.

Special thanks to Bobby Linn and whoever else helped to make the library trivia. We borrowed some of it.

The plan is to have a movie marathon on Wednesday, December 9. This is a day off before Final Exams start. I don’t know what time we’ll start, but we will show all 6 movies.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WVU Star Wars Club will hold a movie marathon on Wednesday, December 9, starting at 9:00 AM in B&E 458. We will watch the movies in Episodic order (I through VI). All are welcome to attend.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a few snags yesterday for the movie marathon, such as no one bringing the movies. D'oh! The person who brought the movies before didn't have the prequels, and didn't tell anyone. I had to run home to get them, and we were delayed only a little.

There were about 5-6 who stayed the entire day (9:00 AM - 10:30 PM), and some came in and out. Most brought something to study while watching the movies, but I don't know how much work they actually did. It reminds me of growing up, sitting on the couch watching TV with my homework on my lap. My dad called it "looking over it," as in looking over it at the TV.

I wore my TK for a while in the lobby outside the room and outside the building. I got some attention from people driving/walking by and several asked for pictures. I even had a WVU police officer come by. I thought that I was in trouble when he asked what I was doing there, but was more concerned that I was passing things out for one of the off-campus book stores than anything else. I made sure to keep my blaster holstered (unless someone wanted to use it in a photo) and warned the people whose offices were near the room that we used.

The club is doing some good things, but they are slow on advertising. We'll work on that for the Spring.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Spring schedule for the WVU Star Wars Club. Everyone is welcome to come to any of the events, including kids and friends. All events start at 6:00 PM.

Thursday, January 28 - Video Games - Armstrong 306

Monday, February 8 - The Phantom Menace - Towers

Tuesday, February 23 - Star Wars Collectors Club of WV - Armstrong 306
We are waiting to hear from Mike who runs JediCon in Paden City, WV.

Wednesday, March 16 - Attack of the Clones - Armstrong 306

Thursday, March 31 - Spoofs - Armstrong 306
We need to decide which movies/skits to watch.

Wednesday, April 13 - Revenge of the Sith - Armstrong 306

Tuesday, April 26 - Elections and Jeopardy - Armstrong 306

Wednesday, May 4 - Movie Marathon - Mountainlair Ballroom
(Room and time to be determined)
TB/TK-99920, Jedi

Last edited by Schraeds (Matt Schraeder) on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 8 people come last night, and had 4 systems set up. It went well.

Mike from JediCon cannot come on Tuesday, February 23. Anyone who wants to come to talk about their collections that night is welcome. Bring pictures and/or props.

EDIT: I had the wrong date.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meeting about collecting was largely a disappointment.  We had plenty of items, but not many people.  Only 4 showed up, and 3 were club officers.

The viewing for "The Phantom Menace" was a lot better.  The one club officer is an RA at one of the dorms (Towers), so she showed the movie as one of the dorm activities.  They had a pretty good turn-out, so we are going to hold the other movie showings as part of the dorm activities.

We've also changed the Jeopardy! bit on 4/26 to a lightsaber demonstration from the Outer Rim Praxeum.  One of the Star Wars Club members just joined the ORP, and they asked to come.  We are still working on getting a room big enough for that.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a schedule change. The Outer Rim Praxeum lightsaber demonstration will now be Friday, April 22 from 6-8 in the Blue Room in Towers.

We will have a movie marathon on Wednesday, May 4 in B&E 441 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM. I plan to wear my TK from about 10-12 (maybe longer).

The university usurped our showing of "Revenge of the Sith" by scheduling a showing of "The Force Awakens" on the same night. They did give us priority seating, though, and 8 members went.

We have a new group of officers for next year. The new Emperor (President) seems very enthusiastic and has some good ideas.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outer Rim Praxeum lightsaber demonstration went really well. We had about 16 people there. The demonstration showed what the different fighting forms looked like (both one person showing the attacks and defenses, and simulated combat), and they included some of the history (how the forms developed and who used the forms).

We got to practice the steps of Form I (Shii-Cho) as a group, and then paired off and did choreographed combat. Several people brought their own lightsabers, but the Praxeum people had extras, as well. Many unathletic, nerdy, Star Wars fans trying to be Jedi. Ben Rolling Eyes

They used it as a recruiting tool, but a lot of the students were interested in joining, so they weren't twisting arms. Some of the students were extremely enthusiastic about it (especially the club's new Emperor/President).

Next up is the movie marathon on May 4. I'll have details later if anyone wants to come down.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite some technical difficulties (DVD player wouldn't work and we had to call the tech people), we held the movie marathon last week. Only 5 people came, but it was Finals Week, so that didn't help. I got a lot of attention walking around outside in my Stormtrooper armor, including a gubernatorial candidate.

We also had a meeting for the new officers, but Final interfered again. They definitely have a lot of ideas for next year, and are enthusiastic.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a much more active group of officers this year.  This schedule is still tentative, but I will post any changes.  Everyone is welcome to attend any and all events.

September
Tuesday 6th: Video Game Night - Blue and Gold 6PM-8PM
Wednesday 21st: The Force Awakens Discussion/Analysis - Downtown 5PM-7PM

October
Wednesday 12th/Thursday 13th: Star Wars Trivia - Side Pocket Time TBD
Wednesday 26th: Costume/Prop Showcase - Downtown 5PM - 7PM
Thursday October 27th: Pittsburgh Symphony Music of John Williams at Creative Arts Center

November 
Friday 11th: Lightsaber Training - Blue & Gold Towers
Tabling at the lair dates TBD 
Wednesday 30th: Rogue One Promotion / Discussion - Downtown 5PM-7PM

December 
Wednesday 7th: Movie Marathon - Evandale Crossing Lecture Hall 
15th: Rogue One Midnight Showing
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Jayben Kenobi (Joshua Curry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff bro Cool
CMCHammer (Justin Cunningham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Force for a Cure (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great list of events. Hopefully I can coordinate a time or two to maybe carpool down and check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: