Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6057739b67db8d67cad360d778735e48Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plus size flight suit advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bizarro Amy (Amy Hill)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Plus size flight suit advice Reply with quote

I was browsing the Red Kap site for coveralls, and they don't come in my size. Someone directed me to Wampa Wear, and they have some that will fit my hips and midsection, but they will probably be very long(I'm only 5'5") and also loose up top. I'm assuming these are sized for men, and that's been my experience most other times.
So here's my question: Would it be better to just buy the WW suit, and either wear it as-is or try to tailor it, OR make one myself to fit my actual measurements? Is there a pattern or other source you can recommend ? I'd love some advice on what other plus sized lady pilots have done.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go custom made for mine. PM sent.
Strongbow ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution props did mine for me based on my measurements. Recommended.
Bizarro Amy (Amy Hill)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions in this thread and via pm. I think I still might be better off if someone can help me work on it in person. I'm going to talk to my local friend who does commissions about helping me, plus send a few pattern ideas to the costume judges. I'm not sure it's even in the budget to get it done in the timeframe I have in mind though.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been helping people with suits for a number of years, and built many suits for the Legions.

I have a pattern template ill be happy to Email you. shoot me your Email on PM.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa
David, Louisiana's first Visitor.
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Plus size flight suit advice Reply with quote

It honestly isn't just being a plus sized woman where flightsuits can be tricky to size Smile And yes, it is all due to said suit patterns being tailored to a man's structure. Typically.

For my BWing, I ended up buying a RedKap that was sized to my chest measurement + an inch or two of extra ease. I then ended up taking in the legs both on the inseam at the calves and to just plain hem them. I also did some tricky but quick sewing in the inseam in the crotch area to tighten up the rump so it didn't have the dreaded rump-sag. Of course, now it is back due to me having lost some weight, but still.

XWing pattern suit is something different, though, I think. That being said, building a suit to your measurements will make you happier and more comfortable. And will look great Smile
Bizarro Amy (Amy Hill)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Plus size flight suit advice Reply with quote

Rhaethe wrote:
It honestly isn't just being a plus sized woman where flightsuits can be tricky to size Smile And yes, it is all due to said suit patterns being tailored to a man's structure. Typically.
<snip>
That being said, building a suit to your measurements will make you happier and more comfortable. And will look great Smile

Preach, sister! Cool Jedi tunics aren't much better, if you're using the usual patterns. And those shoulder tucks! Bang Head Next time, I'm using/modding a flowing blouse pattern.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently making X-wing suits from scratch with my friend, who has the same problem as you; she is plus size and short. She tried buying to her measurements once and... well, the suit fitted me better than her. And we're nowhere the same in size. (See our wip thread in the X-wing forum if you want proof).

So we are going the route of making from scratch to fit our bodies. Her short and wide, mine tall and slim. It's both fun and challenging. Smile I'll be updating our wip thread after our work weekends with where we are and what we have learned.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Bizarro Amy (Amy Hill)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora, it's great to hear that scratch-made suits are working for you! I will be following your thread with a great deal of interest Cool
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once our patterning is all done, we plan to share measurement advise for others, which should hopefully make it easier for others to make jumpsuits/flightsuits in the future. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: