Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=713fca7573bb2e5119a6d5f978b69616Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Best advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cori1312@ ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Best advice? Reply with quote

I made a new friend recently, who was told that she couldn't join the 501st because she had to be a certain height. I told her she was dead wrong, and asked who she wanted to be should she join. She answered Princess Leia.

Obviously, she's not cut out for the dark side. Confused

But I offered to help her with a costume for the Rebel Legion and have been reading posts, walk-throughs and standard requirements for the past few days.

Now I'm asking, what's your best advice?

What kind of fabric? Knit or polyester? Anyone have a good pattern to start with?

What size leather strips would I need to purchase from Tandys? Where do you get those metal sheets for the belt accents?

Any clarity on the boots? Flat white plain leather with black soles--is that what I'm looking for? Do they need to have those vertical strips or are they optional?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
cori1312@ ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the whole thing is the ANH Senatorial costume.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we're happy to help here! To start, you can find the standards for the costume here.

So, the best kind of fabric (and it's cheap) is a slight knit fabric called Jet Set, which you can find at JoAnn fabrics.

As to how to make the dress, Kathy has one of the best tutorials out there: http://kay-dee.net/costumes/leia_anh/

The boots don't need the black sole, but it is preferred. Mainly we are concerned with a low heel, not shiny leather, and no straps or buckles. If your friend finds some boots online and wants to run them by us, we can let you know if they will work or not.

There are a lot of different ways to do the buns, depending on hair color and length, so I guess the best advice there depends.

I'm no belt maker myself, but I do know you have to cut the shape of the belt out of a large piece of leather, because of it's shape. Normal straps won't work. For the rest of your belt questions, I'm going to send in the friend who made mine. Leia Buns

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Jenna's excellent advice, I'll add: make it self-lined. The real deal is double layered, which also helps prevent the dress from being see through. Smile

Make sure the collar is tight and the key hole closure is visible, but not too large. Don't make undersized buns. We see those a lot, so right away I'll just tell just that those buns really are rather big and basically covers the side of her head.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without intending to trump SongOfAmazon's recommendation, Twi'lek Pam also has a great Princess Leia tutorial:

http://chucrew.com/Leia/Leia.html
Base Membership Officer 2017
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To chime in...

I went with the jet-set fabric from JoAnns. I did wind up using a serger as my sewing machine kept 'bouncing' off of the fabric.

There are multiple resources for the belt. I wound up with a 3" belt blank from a local leather store. I trimmed to shape and added aluminum trapezoidal blanks, then used furniture button blanks for the circle that sits on top.

For boots, I started with standard marching style boots. I now have a pair of custom made leather boots from JDOS. The wait time is about a year, but worth it. However, if you don't want to wait, there are good sources for white marching boots that suffice.
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
cori1312@ ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much! Those tutorials look amazing. I was wondering about the buns, because her hair is so short. The ponytail wigs are genius.

Where can I come by the metal sheets to cut out the belt accents? A hardware store? Craft store?
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cori1312@ wrote:

Where can I come by the metal sheets to cut out the belt accents? A hardware store? Craft store?

Aluminum sheets can be found at Home Depot. That's where I picked mine up. You can get varying sizes and thickness. I took some metal cutting shears to cut out the trapezoidal shapes.

I used hammered rivets to attach them to my belt. The rivets, I picked up from Tandy Leather.
RLGS, RLSC

cori1312@ ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'm taking her shopping tomorrow! I'm so excited. Very Happy

Does anyone know if this is an accepted blaster? I mean, I'd have to spray paint it. Do I have to still paint the tip orange? I'm pretty sure those standards conflict. Which is right?

Leia Blaster
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I hadn't seen that blaster before!

I use a hyperfirm DDC Defender from DarthHair. He does the long barreled from ANH and the short barrel from ROTJ.
RLGS, RLSC

Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blasters (both the DCC Long Barrel and the E-11) are optional items for the Senatorial dress, so they don't need to be extremely detailed.

That new white and orange blaster will be fine if you paint the whole thing black.
Base Membership Officer 2017
LadyBedlam (Kelly Sutton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Leia wig, I found a Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz wig and took the braids out and redid it into the buns and it worked great!! Being a cosmetologist also helps with that. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cori1312@ ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyBedlam wrote:
With my Leia wig, I found a Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz wig and took the braids out and redid it into the buns and it worked great!! Being a cosmetologist also helps with that. Razz

That may well be the answer, especially given that we have entered worldwide costuming season. Wink
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though, you'll want to be careful with the quality of wigs you find around Halloween. If you get anything for less than $25, at minimum, I'd be concerned about the quality. A good-quality pigtail wig usually doesn't come cheap.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

LadyBedlam (Kelly Sutton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $20 for mine and it's held up for the last 5 or 6 years. But I take extra care of mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: