Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=314756f40ce16c29eb32865f88f5b9d3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fabric dye question...need help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Fabric dye question...need help. Reply with quote

I have little to no experience dying fabric, so I need to ask for help from those who do. I found some fabric on Friday when JoAnn's was having 50% off their red tag fabric and I couldn't pass it by. The pattern/weave of the fabric is perfect for the AOTC Senate Address Padme gown. The only problem is, the fabric I got is a sort of dull yellow and I need it to be bright yellow/gold. Will moiré take dye? And if it does, can I get it to be as bright as it should be?

http://www.padawansguide.com/dark_exhibit.shtml

Thanks!
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything will take dye - its just a matter of how well. If you can check the fiber content of the fabric (it should say on the top of the bolt) the more natural material the better it will take - the more synthetic the longer you will need to soak it and the more concentrated the dye will have to be. Ex. for my first lake gown I used polyester voile and boiled it in full strength (whole package of dye) dye for almost 30 minutes to get a slightly paler coloration than I got with the silk I used for my second version with warm (but not hot) dye using only a little under a half a package and about 2.5 times the water suggested for about 30 seconds to a minute. Both fabrics did take the dye - one was just easier than the other. Since you have the fabric already you could either go back to the store and read the small print on the bolt (if you can find it again) or you could just cut some scraps and experiment (I would advise this anyway - knowing the material is just a good starting point considering the differences illustrated above). I would also suggest a darker yellow dye (maybe RIT's golden yellow) as opposed to using a more concentrated regular yellow dye as it will be easier (and less expensive) for you. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 53% Cotton and 47% Acetate. The Acetate is what got me wondering. I got what was left on the bolt and I asked if I could have the cardboard with the label, because I figured I'd want the fiber content. Smile
bassclarinets ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found the dylon dyes to hold better on synthetics than the rits - but its more challenging to find the colors...

jen
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that with synthetics you often have to dye the fabric over heat. When you have a lot of yardage this can be tricky because you have to get a VERY large pot. As it is, the large pot I got from professional kitchen supply shop (that has things for restaurant) is only big enough for a couple of yards.

The fact that the fabric is a cotton blend may help. But the cotton fibers are probably going to pick up the dye a lot darker than the acetate. I recently had a silk acetate blend I wanted to dye for a costume, and I didn't like how the silk turned the correct color, and the acetate yarns stayed very pale.

All you can do is give it a shot, and test dye some swatches to see what happens. Maybe because your fabric is already yellow, even if the cotton takes the dye better it will still give a nice effect?

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be in my favor that there is slightly more cotton than acetate? It only cost me a couple dollars, so if it doesn't turn out, I'm not out a lot of money. I just thought if I could get it to work, it'd save me some money. Smile Thanks for the help.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just a question of whether it is synthetic as each kind of man made fabric is unique and has different dye properties. Nylon for instance is very easy to dye and relatively easy to remove colour from. It behaves like a protein fibre (silk, wool etc.)

Polyester does not absorb home dyes but you can get the dye to settle on the outside of the fibres, and you can especially get nice effects with fabrics woven with flloss like threads rather than twisted as the dye is more likely to get trapped.
This book might be something to look into. Page 91 describes the kinds of dyes used for Acetate specifically.
Sadly disperse dyes are really not home friendly;)

Blends are tricky because the thread that is twisted from the mix is often not perfectly uniform so you wind up with areas with more of one kind than the other and that leads to spotting or marling.

You could though try using a pigment based wash of colour. I have had good success using both watered down fabric paint and watered down acrylic paint to dye polyester and acrylic fibres. I suspect actually that even acrylic ink (diluted with alcohol and water) would also work well.

Otherwise being that there is a high proportion of cotton and you already have a shade in the range you need it probably would be worth hunting out Dylon mulitpurpose/machine dye and use that.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I hope to test dye some swatches of the fabric soon. I'll be sure to let everyone know what my results were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: