Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c118aa537a0f7fcda2946fe3ce53e383Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocBev (Nicky Blum)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

I've yet to put the symbols on my green velvet gown either...

Unfortunately it's on the bottom of my project list as it has the most work to do on it. 

scarlet ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: EP III: ROTS Padme Olive Hooded Gown Q&A Reply with quote

those nose hair trimmer scissors and cuticle scissors are pretty useful...

for sewing, that is! heh heh.

i always carry around a pair as a seamripper. they work faster, if you're careful.

also, they're way more fun to use than awls when putting in holes to hold grommets.
Bee-Jai Morr ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one of these just before Celebration 4 (need to get a photo sumbitted and approved) and I used a silk-velvet and the embossing went well...
I'm not sure I ever want to do that again.

But, I hope that you eventuallly got yours done...
kreleia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran across this fabric purely by accident tonight, but immediately thought of everyone working on this dress.

I sincerely hope it helps.

http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/diamondplum.html
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this from Manhattan Fabrics

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All...

I absolutely LOVE this costume. So much that I am re-making it this year.
The sleeve lining seems to be one of the most difficult things to match, and I have a few different options.

I've actually been in contact with 2 different manufacturers to have the sleeve lining replicated as close as possible based on the real fabric.

The first option is to have bridal satin printed with the design. The company originally quoted me $50 a yard, however I talked them down to $20 a yard. I am aware that the original fabric was two-tone jacquard, however the satin would have a similar sheen to it, and give the same effect. Basically, I would send them the Pantone colors from the swatch shown in Dressing A Galaxy as well as send them the diamond pattern that I replicated using photoshop. The guy I was conversing with was unbelievably helpful, and was willing to work with my budget and had no minimum yardage requirement.

The second option is a company that actually will weave the fabric for me. Although the price is a little higher, they quoted me $30 a yard. And the main issue is they have a minimum order of 30 yards. Obviously I don't need 30 yards. And another drawback is that it wouldn't have the sheen to it like the original.

As for the stamping (which I did on my first version), I found that as I went along stamping the design - my stamp did start to lose shape after a while. I didn't use silk velvet for my first version, mainly because I didn't want to ruin such beautiful fabric on a 'trial run' version.

But if you're using fiber-etch on silk velvet, put the fiber-etch on your stamp and stamp the design from the backside of the fabric. That will ensure that the detail will come through as much as possible. I emailed the company to ask them about this, and that is what they suggested.

And if you need a template for the stamp, just ask, I have one already made. :-)
DocBev (Nicky Blum)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a template for the stamp. Very Happy
In fact it probably would be a handy thing to list with the standards for this gown.

I have silk velvet for mine, but still need to line the sleeves (and the rest of the gown ideally). I'd also like to make the inner dress since this is really just a robe that I've been wearing as a dress.
But this dress hasn't been high on my priority list during the cold weather months and because I have so many upgrades to do to it. Laughing

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Garrison Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a stamp template as well.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As would I Smile
JennFaereality (Jennifer DePaola)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... in addition to the Padme symbol, I would also like to share a few other things that I have made as a "study" of this costume.

First things first... here is the Padme Symbol :-)

And second is a illustration that I made for the underdress. For my current version of the Green Velvet dress... I did do the underdress instead of wearing a petticoat - it was much easier to walk around in at C4 than having all those layers of tulle and lining fabric that makes so much noise when you walk. Smile So... this is a diagram of what I made. I can post pictures of me in my underdress if anyone would like to see them as well.

And third is a diagram of where I believe the symbols should be placed on the garment. I know the back isn't exact... but it's very close.

Of course the spacing of the symbols is based on having a 4"x6" stamp design - and giving it some symmetry.

I'd love to know some of your thoughts, and if this was helpful at all.

Thanks... and I hope you all enjoy!

Jenn
p.s.
If you would like for me to email the full-size template to you, just PM me with your email and I'll send a PDF version.

DocBev (Nicky Blum)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing those!
I will definitely be referencing them when I get the chance to upgrade my gown. Very Happy

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Garrison Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocBev wrote:
That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing those!
I will definitely be referencing them when I get the chance to upgrade my gown. Very Happy

Awesome! Glad I could help! I have an unhealthy obsession with this dress Very Happy and I'm going for movie authenticity for my re-make.

To see my husband and I's personal website of photos, please visit http://paulandjenn.faereality.com/ Mainly the Shevacon, Halloween, and C4 categories for our costumes... and of course my husband is joining the 501st and has just received his first set of armor and we're in the process of putting that together and documenting it.

Also, not sure if you saw my previous post, but I have been in contact about having someone manufacture the sleeve lining fabric for me at $20 a yard - which is an incredible price for custom fabric. They would match the colors exactly - and have the right scale of the diamond pattern based on the design template that I have made. They don't have a minimum yardage either - which is great. The fabric they quoted would be bridal satin 60"w - which would have a similar sheen to the original fabric.

If anyone is interested in this, let me know Smile

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... and also I wanted to post a photo of the beaded brooch that I made. I do a lot of beading as well.. so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to send them my way. Smile

Jenn

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Sleeve Lining Design Reply with quote

I just thought I'd post this here too, since I also posted it in AOI.

The fabric that I am ordering for the sleeve lining... this is the template that I will be sending in to have custom printed onto bridal satin. Just thought that someone might want to have a look if they wish to order it as well.

Send me a PM for the company info in you're interested. Thanks!

Jenn

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ladies....

I just posted this over on AOI, but thought I'd post it here too. I received a sample of the custom printed fabric for the sleeve lining on this dress. I created the template based on the swatch photo from Padawansguide.com, and pantone matched the colors as closely as possible.

I have to admit, the sample of the printed fabric is perfect. It has the right scale, and the diamond pattern is an exact match. :-) The company that is printing this for me quoted me $20 a yard for 60" wide bridal satin. And yes, the silkyness and sheen of the fabric are still intact despite being screen printed. Anyhoo... the printer does not have a minimum yardage requirement, which is wonderful! Very Happy

Here are some photos of the sample from the printer.

Scan w/ quarter to show scale:

Photo taken indoors w/flash

Photo taken indoors w/out flash

Photo taken outdoors in sunlight

Jenn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: