Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=82eddfe69c7bb24c43c3cf30d4138c16Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Request for Advice: How May I Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM Saber-Slinger (John-Michael)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Request for Advice: How May I Help? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm the new guy who transferred from Sunrider Base (Southern California) last month! My family and I moved to San Jose a couple of months ago, but I actually spent most of my life here in the San Francisco Bay area, starting in 1980 when I first immigrated to America and lived in San Francisco for my sophomore year in high school, and then south to the Morgan HIll-Gilroy-San Jose area until the 1990's (there was a year stint in Florida somewhere there, but I try to block it out). I moved in 1998 to SoCal to be with my wife, and now I'm back in San Jose -- and now a proud and happy Endor Base member!

My question: How may I help Endor Base?

Now that I am an Endor Base member, I would like to do my part to help out. I am deeply-flawed, awfully clumsy and prone to errors, but I try to make up for it with great enthusiasm, a never-say-die attitude, a never-ending work-ethic and some creative thinking when it comes to event coordination, organizing people and just a smidgen of leadership skills.

I have a history of non-ego, where I prove it by finding people whom I believe are better-qualified than myself and supporting them into leadership positions and eventually removing myself from the spotlight. I believe that I can help an organization whether I have a title or not, but also concede that sometimes, one requires tools to get a job done.

I know I'm still the new guy, but I am eager toget in there and help!If it helps any, here's my "resume:"

#1: COSTUMING: I never had a costume before joining Rebel Legion in 2012, not even one for Halloween. Chalk it up to living in different countries and poverty. But when middle-age crazy struck, I ran to Star Wars, and eventually found Rebel Legion.
My Legion-approved Star Wars costumes Rebel Fleet Trooper, Imperial Knight (also 501st approved), Imperial Bridge Crew (501st)

Work In Progress:: Generic Jedi (not yet approved, but I'm waiting for this year's elections to be over before I send in my application), Reserve TIE Pilot, Imperial Gunner, TIE Pilot (basically upgrading my Imperial Bridge Crew; not really in a hurry)

#2: REBEL LEGION OFFICER BACKGROUND: I was elected Sunrider Base's Rebel Trooper Detachment Leader a few years ago. Prior to my taking over, our Rebel Trooper population dwindled from over a dozen proud and handsome troopers to, well... only myself showing up to troops in my Rebel Fleet Trooper costume. And we all know that Rebel Troopers are really best when we show up in numbers. I am proud to say that I contributed to significantly raising interest in Rebel Trooper costumes and managed to get several RFTs to show up at trooping events and conventions such as WonderCon TOGETHER. I started up the Sunrider Base Troopers facebook page, found someone who I thought was better qualified than myself to be my XO, and then nominated her to succeed me the next year. To show my good faith, I stepped down so someone who I thought was a better candidate could take over and lead us to greater heights -- and she did, and eventually became the Sunrider Base CO! When I stepped down, I made sure to immediately relinquish all Admin-level access to the Sunrider Base Troopers facebook page because I I believed my successor would do a great job (and she did!) and more importantly, I felt ethically compelled to step out and make way for the new leadership to take over.

I initially led the charge to get Endor Base its own Rebel Trooper detachment (still in progress), but very recently nominated Josh (Coor) to head the detachment after having met him in person and figuring he would be a better choice than myself for the job.

#3: WHAT HAVE I DONE FOR ENDOR BASE? In the month after officially transferring from Sunrider Base:
A. I got Endor Base and Rebel Legion some representation at Wizard World's San Jose Comic Con this month, and even got one or two members free passes to the convention to help facilitate their participation.

B. I generated excitement for getting an Endor Base Rebel Trooper Detachment, got the application process started and nominated an Endor Base member in good-standing to take the lead as our inaugural Squad Leader (and removed myself from the running, again as a show of good faith).

#4. EDUCATION: I graduated from law school Magna cum Laude, and have a Bachelor's degree in Speech Communication (so I kinda know how to talk).

#5. WORK EXPERIENCE: I used to manage a Human Resources Outsourcing firm, where I specialized in hiring, recruitment and organizational/career counseling. Prior to that I was the "sales guy" (translation: I organized parties and such) for Underwriters Laboratories Medical Devices Services Team. I also have experience working as a Substitute Teacher, where I became the favorite substitute in three different school districts!

I am currently a "Mr. Mom/Stay-at-Home Spouse/Trophy Husband," so I have more time tto pursue our hobby and hopefully contribute to Endor Base!

WHAT I DO BEST: Organize people, coordinate events, raise morale, generate POSITIVE publicity, build relationships, repair relationship "bridges," etc.

SOME OF MY DOWNFALLS: I have absolutely NO talent, particularly at making anything costume or prop-related. But I have friends who are awesome at this, and hope to make more friends who are awesome at making stuff, and can do my part by organizing them and events where they can show up to help others and each other and have fun doing it!!

So, what do you think? I don't want to step on any toes or offend anyone (being the new guy and all), but is there anything you guys could suggest I can do to help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draeden Wren (Donald Wicks)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say I'm glad you're here. Right off the bat, you've been nothing but enthusiastic and outgoing. Thank you! I think that's something huge for Endor Base, we need people who want to make what we already have as great; even better!

I do have one question, in regards to your contact for Wizard World, I would love to be in communication with them so that Endor Base can be represented at future Cons. If we can get enthusiastic and outgoing people like you to work the tables (even for a few hours) we can hopefully share what Endor Base and the Rebel Legion is about to more and more people..

Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher. - Enfys Nest
Lebo1138 (Jason Leibowitz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad to have met you last weekend! Looking forward to more meetups!
dbuck (david buckley)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could become a regional captain to handle the local event requests.

Einstein

JM Saber-Slinger (John-Michael)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draeden Wren wrote:
I just wanted to say I'm glad you're here. Right off the bat, you've been nothing but enthusiastic and outgoing. Thank you! I think that's something huge for Endor Base, we need people who want to make what we already have as great; even better!

I do have one question, in regards to your contact for Wizard World, I would love to be in communication with them so that Endor Base can be represented at future Cons. If we can get enthusiastic and outgoing people like you to work the tables (even for a few hours) we can hopefully share what Endor Base and the Rebel Legion is about to more and more people..

Thanks, Don! And I'm still eagerly waiting for Episode 4 of Endor Chats! Wink

I'll ask if I may forward the contact information to you. It became my habit to be rather protective of contact information during my time in the corporate world, education and law school. I'll pass the info to you or to whomever I am authorized to release it to as soon as I get the green light. I hope that's fair. Smile

Lebo1138 wrote:
Really glad to have met you last weekend! Looking forward to more meetups!

It was my pleasure and honor and I look forward to trooping with you soon!

dbuck wrote:
You could become a regional captain to handle the local event requests.

Vince Trillo is the Regional Captain of my region and he has been a great help to me with handling my requests for local Star Wars costumer participation with Wizard World's recent San Jose Comic Con! He helped me with the 501st, Rebel Legion and mandalorian Mercs, and due to his help, San Jose COmic Con had some representation from all three Star Wars groups! YAY! SO, unless this very capable and earnest young man (who is also a participant with EndorCast) runs for another position, I don't really see a vacancy for the spot at this time. I hope this is OK to say. Smile But I SINCERELY appreciate your saying so, good sir!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Draeden Wren (Donald Wicks)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM

Please then give them my info

Donald Wicks
Wrenthejedi@yahoo.com

Until we reach the last edge, the last opening, the last star, and can go no higher. - Enfys Nest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: