Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b786d1d18ad4d9b6d67c581119af192eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

keu002's Generic Jedi WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: keu002's Generic Jedi WIP Reply with quote

Hi everyone! So this costume consists of two firsts: my first generic costume (all my others are Padme) and my first one that I am making all the soft parts!

I wanted to post some pics of what I'm working on for a "pattern", so to speak for when I get real fabric. These pics are not representative of the colors or the fabrics I will actually use; they are simply cheap materials so I wouldn't waste a lot of money if I messed up! Razz

Here is a picture of my Outer Tunic design: (please pardon the bad pictue and my messy room in the background! Rolling Eyes )

The belt was just to see the fit with something around my waist, also.

Sleeve length:

I'm going to do a skirt instead of pants, so I tried to make that, as well, to see how it looked as an "ensemble":

I didn't do an obi or tabards yet, but I plan to figure those out soon! Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are off to a good start. Smile

Some suggestions:
Have your tunic flare more at the bottom. It looks very tight and especially with a skirt it would look better if it had some flare.
Your sleeves are quite large, so you can make them a bit smaller at the cuff if you want. Overly large sleeves can be annoying. Razz

Good luck going forward.

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
It looks like you are off to a good start. Smile

Some suggestions:
Have your tunic flare more at the bottom. It looks very tight and especially with a skirt it would look better if it had some flare.

Thanks! Does it look bad like that if I can't get it to flare more? I'm not sure how to do that...

Here is my idea for a color combo: (dark brown skirt, obi, and UT; dark green OT; cream tabards; light brown belt and boots) (Also, sorry for the discoloration in the skirt - I had to use white-out to change the pants in the template to a skirt and colored pencils didn't work too well over it. Razz )

What does everyone think? I'm not going to do a robe for now, since it's not necessary... maybe later on.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors look good, though I'm wondering if cream tabards won't clash with the dark brown and green? Might do, might not. It will really depend on what shades you end up with. Alternatively you could also make the tabards dark green.

For the flare to the OT skirt you need to make it more triangular. More like a pyramid; wider at the bottom, narrower at the top.

She/Her They/Them

PeterBred ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: belt Reply with quote

would you recommend this belt? http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANAKIN-Deluxe-Full-Belt-Pouches-Capsules-jedi-costume-prop-star-wars-accessories-/150792871549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item231bf49e7d
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other thoughts on the color scheme? Unless too many people speak up about it, I think I'm going to try the cream standards first and see how they look...
TheArrowPen (Kate Allen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good to me--I think Lora's right that ultimately it'll depend on the shades of the fabrics you get, but I personally like the lighter-tabards-on-darker-OT look.

Incidentally, if you want to do any more color mockups, I'd be happy to draw you a version of that template with a skirt instead of pants.

PhDCosplay
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, do try it. It can go both ways and you may find that it works or that it doesn't. I have slightly lighter tabards for my second jedi, but have opted to stay in shades close to each other. That is my personal choice for that costume.

Good luck with it.

She/Her They/Them

KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question (for now... Wink ) before I buy materials and start sewing...
I'm doing a skirt instead of pants, but the only thing the standards say about a skirt is that it needs to be (practically) floor-length. I was thinking about making my skirt out of 4 panels of fabric, so that it is more flow-y. That would mean there would be 4 seams around the skirt (on angles, not at front back left right). Is this acceptable? I just want to double-check before I make something that won't pass... Confused
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEU002 wrote:
I was thinking about making my skirt out of 4 panels of fabric, so that it is more flow-y. That would mean there would be 4 seams around the skirt (on angles, not at front back left right). Is this acceptable? I just want to double-check before I make something that won't pass... Confused

Or maybe just a circle skirt? Then there would be no seams except the hem. Would either be ok or would this be better?
TheArrowPen (Kate Allen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a judge, but my Jocasta skirt is six quarter-circle panels sewn together, so I can't see how seams would be a problem for a generic costume. I would think as long as you don't have visible zippers or anything like that, you should be fine.

PhDCosplay
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love an LCJ's input on this before I go shopping next week. Wink
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. As long as you don't put stripes or something on it... Wink

She/Her They/Them

KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both!
Sorry to seem pressing. I just want to get it right the first time! Wink I know the standards are under discussion right now and I didn't know if any more specifics about the skirt had been added.

I should be going shopping for materials this week. I will keep everyone posted! Very Happy
(This is my first attempt at actually MAKING a costume - I bought my Padmes. We'll see how this goes! Thumbs up )
KEU002 (Katelyn Daski)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my material yesterday! The standards didn't say anything about specific fabrics so I used my best judgements bought suedecloth for all parts (outer and inner tunics, obi and tabards, and the skirt). I hope this is ok because I can't return cut fabric! Embarassed
I hope to start sewing next week! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: